Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chargers Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

For some reason i thought Taylor was drafted as a good tackler but had issues in space, could be completely wrong about that.

Hearing all these good reports about our passing game has nearly started to worry me, nothing is being said our secondary which imo is our biggest weakness.

Should know a bit more about a few guys after Thurs.

Thought our depth chart was interesting, Henderson only down as a RT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

You can see what I mean about missing tackles in the video from the Alabama game. Its a mixed bag seems a lot better at making tackles at line scrimmage then in space.

Positive not seems like Gilchrist and Wright doing a lot better, if that is enough time will tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

And here come the injuries. Mathews breaks his clavicle. Will miss week one at least.

Also big mac is retiring. Sad to see :(

Molly wrote: »
    And here come the injuries. Mathews breaks his clavicle. Will miss week one at least.

Also big mac is retiring. Sad to see :(

What a fecking disaster to start the season out on, i know he'll be back for most of the regular season but these really fecks up the momentum he had

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

OAOB wrote: »
    What a fecking disaster to start the season out on, i know he'll be back for most of the regular season but these really fecks up the momentum he had

Totally agree. That's been a knock on him, the ability to stay healthy. I guess it might mean someone like Hayes has a better chance of making the 53 now. At least it is not season ending but terrible start.

I'm reading that Brinkley had a great game last nite and Hayes not so good. I guess that means Boonah is ahead in the line now. I'll be delighted if he sticks, great guy, great story. He deserves it.

• Advertisement

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Totally agree. That's been a knock on him, the ability to stay healthy. I guess it might mean someone like Hayes has a better chance of making the 53 now. At least it is not season ending but terrible start.

I'm reading that Brinkley had a great game last nite and Hayes not so good. I guess that means Boonah is ahead in the line now. I'll be delighted if he sticks, great guy, great story. He deserves it.

Didn't see the game either but was looking at a few of the stats on nfl.com and it seems like Brinkley had a good game, he caught 4 passes which is interesting as it is definitely something Norv likes in his RBs, i would think he will be on the 53.

Jarrett Lee looks like he did nicely, over 200yards and a TD, i'd imagine we'll be trying to PS him.

Hester with 1 carry for no gain, Battle 2 carries for -1, advantage Hester i guess:pac:

Novak missed a FG so advantage Kaeding.

Didn't see the game either but was looking at a few of the stats on nfl.com and it seems like Brinkley had a good game, he caught 4 passes which is interesting as it is definitely something Norv likes in his RBs, i would think he will be on the 53.

Jarrett Lee looks like he did nicely, over 200yards and a TD, i'd imagine we'll be trying to PS him.

Hester with 1 carry for no gain, Battle 2 carries for -1, advantage Hester i guess:pac:

Novak missed a FG so advantage Kaeding.

I'm gona watch it later on. Really liking what I'm reading about Ingram and Harris. Yeah and Lee seems to have done well too. Amazing to think in this day and age a QB can go undrafted and still make a team esp one playing for a team as big as LSU.

Special teams played great too apparently, so I'll keep a close eye on Hester there, a guy I think is expendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

3-4 weeks for Matthews they're saying now. Who do you think is most likely to step up for the next few games; Ronnie Brown, Jackie Battle, or Curtis Brinkley?

3-4 weeks for Matthews they're saying now. Who do you think is most likely to step up for the next few games; Ronnie Brown, Jackie Battle, or Curtis Brinkley?

No doubt they will lean on Ronnie Brown, Brinkley is next in line at tailback. Then Hayes. Battle is probably seen more of a special teams demon and some tailback/fullback.

So for me it'll be a good mix of Brown/Brinkley and some Hayes. Hayes has a great oppotunity now as he should get much more reps in practice, hope he takes it. Another guy in the background is Rock Baker but I'm not sure he has impressed much if at all this TC. Seems Hayes who was undrafted is ahead of the 7th round pick.

I would imagine it'll be Hayes and Brinkley getting most of the game time in the pre-season, no point risking Brown with more than a handful of snaps at this point of the season.
    Brown and McClain are hugely important to us now, two experienced guys really need to step up and carry the load over the next few weeks. With the size of Hayes and Brinkleys running style i think injuries are inevitable with those two guys at some stage.

3-4weeks isn't too bad (come on Chao, don't **** up) but its how long after he gets back can he get up to full speed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

Apparently mathews tripped over Clary. Can we please just get rid of him :p

Watched the game, start was crazy.

Ingram was in the backfield all day. Early on was all over the field in coverage, coming from middle and outside. Couldn't have asked for more on his debut.
    Reyes when came in was really good too.

Lee will not make the practice squad, looked good but has a problem with fumbling snabs in practice and had 2-3 yesterday.

Clary was really poor, was comparing him to Harris. Be a miracle if he could transfer to right side.

ST was good, Wright and Stuckey very good.

Backfield, after yesterday there is no competition Mathews Brown Brinkley.

Mouton played too, had a couple of hard hits, nice to see. English got a sack but penalty on Ingram cancelled it out.

Rivers Int was about timing between him and Meachem

I would imagine it'll be Hayes and Brinkley getting most of the game time in the pre-season, no point risking Brown with more than a handful of snaps at this point of the season.
    Brown and McClain are hugely important to us now, two experienced guys really need to step up and carry the load over the next few weeks. With the size of Hayes and Brinkleys running style i think injuries are inevitable with those two guys at some stage.

3-4weeks isn't too bad (come on Chao, don't **** up) but its how long after he gets back can he get up to full speed.

You're right. In pre-season they will be minding Brown now after what happened to Mathews so we'll see lots more of Boonah, Hayes and Battle even. In practice too these guys are gona see more reps now on the 1st team which can only help them.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Watched the game, start was crazy.

Ingram was in the backfield all day. Early on was all over the field in coverage, coming from middle and outside. Couldn't have asked for more on his debut.
    Reyes when came in was really good too.

Lee will not make the practice squad, looked good but has a problem with fumbling snabs in practice and had 2-3 yesterday.

Clary was really poor, was comparing him to Harris. Be a miracle if he could transfer to right side.

ST was good, Wright and Stuckey very good.

Backfield, after yesterday there is no competition Mathews Brown Brinkley.

Mouton played too, had a couple of hard hits, nice to see. English got a sack but penalty on Ingram cancelled it out.

Rivers Int was about timing between him and Meachem

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Gamble last year:P. But in seriousness he seems like a massive talent that we have, can't wait to see more from him.

The OL and CBs remain the worry, Gaither possibly back practicing the middle of next week which is really needed.

Our defence im sure will be a lot better this year,just because of our front 7.

Forgot to mention Vincent Brown was impressive, im sure Royal will want to heal up pretty quick.

Keep on eye out for Spurlock too.

Watched the game, thought Ingram looked real good. Merriman-like if I may. Had an eye on Reyes and he was just ok. Thought Wright looked good on STs. Was v interested watching Molk, he looks like a (small) stud in the making at center, what a bargain he could prove to be. Overall as expected was disappointed in how ESPN lost interest and play after play went by without any comment, instead they were on about the officials and other surrounding guff. Roll on Oakland.

Oh, thought Harris equipped himself well, at least for a an UDFA he did. Would not want him to be there opening day though.

Ryan is out of a sling already :eek:

I love this guy, I think his injuries are over stated because of LT injury record.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    Ryan is out of a sling already :eek:

I love this guy, I think his injuries are over stated because of LT injury record.

Was he ever in a sling?

To be honest I think that and all the talk is bravado. I don't want the guy coming back a day earlier than he should. Imagine what the Raider D will be like if that is his first game back on mon nite. They won't be needing any bounty incentive to go for his shoulder. I say take it handy with him. Ronnie et al should be able to carry us for weeks 1 and 2.

Ye he was in a sling. I think he will be rushed back which is such a pity.
    He is already talking 3 weeks :eek:

He will want to get back, Norv will want he back because that seat is just too hot now. They also want that quick start again.

Lads, I think I mentioned this before but in case I didn't..

We have a San Diego Chargers Irish fan group on Facebook. We're planning a meet up the morning of the college game Sept 1 in Ballsbridge. If you've not already joined the group on FB please do and hopefully we get to meet in person at the Charger fans get together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Lads, I think I mentioned this before but in case I didn't..

We have a San Diego Chargers Irish fan group on Facebook. We're planning a meet up the morning of the college game Sept 1 in Ballsbridge. If you've not already joined the group on FB please do and hopefully we get to meet in person at the Charger fans get together.

just to add to Damos post, we are hoping to arrange a few beers with ex Charger and Bills John Holecek, who is in town as HC of Loyola. Join the FB group for more details.

Just thinking on areas of weakness that we have and we all know CB is very light and then the OL is a worry until we can get Gaither practicing.
    RB is now an issue for us for a game or two and we just don't have depth at this position without Matthews. We've Matthews, McClain and Brown definitely on the roster, i'm presuming Hester will have a spot too and then that leaves Battle, Brinkley, Baker and Hayes. Personally i don't like any of those options so i think we should be looking at players getting cut and see is there better options there. Not sure who might be available but i'm starting to think there has to be someone that we could bring in.
    Any opinions on this, stick with what we have or look outside?
    The Saints have Sproles, Ingram, Thomas and Ivory, i'd love if they cut Ivory but i think they carried the 4 of them last year so probably will again

Just thinking on areas of weakness that we have and we all know CB is very light and then the OL is a worry until we can get Gaither practicing.
    RB is now an issue for us for a game or two and we just don't have depth at this position without Matthews. We've Matthews, McClain and Brown definitely on the roster, i'm presuming Hester will have a spot too and then that leaves Battle, Brinkley, Baker and Hayes. Personally i don't like any of those options so i think we should be looking at players getting cut and see is there better options there. Not sure who might be available but i'm starting to think there has to be someone that we could bring in.
    Any opinions on this, stick with what we have or look outside?
    The Saints have Sproles, Ingram, Thomas and Ivory, i'd love if they cut Ivory but i think they carried the 4 of them last year so probably will again

CB for me and O line are the biggest areas of doubt. I'm ok with the RB spot. Mathews will be back latest week 3 and I'm happy enough with the likes of McClain, Ronnie and Brinkley to keep the seat warm.

Interestingly I thought Battle was a sure thing to make the team but until Ryan went down I felt he was on the outside looking in.

Still, I reckon we go with the following backfield in the 53

Ryan, Ronnie and Brinks
    McClain and Hester

Hayes to PS... Baker looks like a waste of a pick and he will be gone.

CB for me and O line are the biggest areas of doubt. I'm ok with the RB spot. Mathews will be back latest week 3 and I'm happy enough with the likes of McClain, Ronnie and Brinkley to keep the seat warm.

Interestingly I thought Battle was a sure thing to make the team but until Ryan went down I felt he was on the outside looking in.

Still, I reckon we go with the following backfield in the 53

Ryan, Ronnie and Brinks
    McClain and Hester

Hayes to PS... Baker looks like a waste of a pick and he will be gone.

I am happy with Matthews, McClain and Browne as our main backfield and Hester/Battle as ST and reserve RB/FB. I doubt if we do bring in anyone else but i'd reckon some team will cut a better RB than Brinkley. I'm also worried about his ability to stay healthy, was on IR after 2or3 games last year.

If Matthews is missing for the first 2 games we could be very one dimensional in our attack and it allows teams to go after Rivers a lot more.

I hope Ryan isn't rushed back but we really do need him

Did u see the UTs latest roster? I'll post it below as they are now limiting access to the site.

Some comments - we've over a year invested in Schilling, would be surprised to see him let go. Corey Lynch is an interesting one. I reckon it's between those 2 and Cesaire for that last spot. The rest of the roster I pretty much agree with. I like Spurlock over the other wideouts and am happy with the makeup of the LB crew.

Hester will make the team because of the man love for him from AJ et al. Not sure he deserves it though. Having said that it is not like Battle has impressed in the backfield yet. If Battle was to do something as a RB and continue to do the business on STs then I'd let Hester go. Hester offers nothing as a RB and for me is too slow on STs.

QUARTERBACK
    Philip Rivers
    Charlie Whitehurst

RUNNING BACK
    Ryan Mathews
    Ronnie Brown
    Curtis Brinkley

FULLBACK
    Le'Ron McClain
    Jacob Hester

WIDE RECEIVER
    Robert Meachem
    Malcom Floyd
    Vincent Brown
    Eddie Royal
    Micheal Spurlock

TIGHT END
    Antonio Gates
    Randy McMichael
    Dante Rosario
    Ladarius Green

LEFT TACKLE
    Jared Gaither
    Mike Harris

LEFT GUARD
    Tyronne Green
    Rex Hadnot

CENTER
    Nick Hardwick
    Dave Molk

RIGHT GUARD
    Louis Vasquez
    Hadnot

RIGHT TACKLE
    Jeromey Clary
    Mario Henderson

LEFT DEFENSIVE END
    Vaughn Martin
    Kendall Reyes

NOSE TACKLE
    Cam Thomas
    Aubrayo Franklin

RIGHT DEFENSIVE END
    Corey Liuget
    Antonio Garay

OUTSIDE LINEBACKER
    Jarret Johnson
    Shaun Phillips
    Melvin Ingram
    Antwan Barnes
    Larry English

INSIDE "MAC" LINEBACKER
    Takeo Spikes
    Jonas Mouton

INSIDE "MO" LINEBACKER
    Donald Butler
    Demorrio Williams
    Andrew Gachkar

LEFT CORNERBACK
    Quentin Jammer
    Marcus Gilchrist

RIGHT CORNERBACK
    Antoine Cason
    Shareece Wright

STRONG SAFETY
    Atari Bigby
    Brandon Taylor
    Corey Lynch

FREE SAFETY
    Eric Weddle
    Darrell Stuckey

KICKER
    Nate Kaeding

PUNTER
    Mike Scifres

LONG SNAPPER
    Mike Windt

KICK RETURNER
    Spurlock
    Royal

PUNT RETURNER
    Royal
    Spurlock

That restricted access to UT is a load of bollix.

That roster has to be close to accurate. Hester/Battle isn't overly important even, similar type players. There's no suprises in the camp apart from Harris and even then he's earned his spot already.

Tightest competition might be reserve centre, Baxter and Molk getting about equal snaps and Hadnot also getting some which suggests whoever wins won't be active on game day anyway. Molk must be favourite for the simple reason that they used a draft pick on him.

I'd like Cesaire on the roster but 6 on the DL is probably enough, i'd imagine even if he made it he'd be inactive on game day.

Not sure if we'll go with both Lynch and Gachkar or drop one for another returner, probably Goodman.

I doubt that whoever we cut will be picked up by other teams so should be available for us during the season if needed

That restricted access to UT is a load of bollix.

That roster has to be close to accurate. Hester/Battle isn't overly important even, similar type players. There's no suprises in the camp apart from Harris and even then he's earned his spot already.

Tightest competition might be reserve centre, Baxter and Molk getting about equal snaps and Hadnot also getting some which suggests whoever wins won't be active on game day anyway. Molk must be favourite for the simple reason that they used a draft pick on him.

I'd like Cesaire on the roster but 6 on the DL is probably enough, i'd imagine even if he made it he'd be inactive on game day.

Not sure if we'll go with both Lynch and Gachkar or drop one for another returner, probably Goodman.

I doubt that whoever we cut will be picked up by other teams so should be available for us during the season if needed

The guys we could/will lose if we cut them are LaDarius Green (looking like this will not happen now), Gach, Spurlock, Schilling, Cesaire, Baxter, Hayes, Novak, Anthony Davis (might be better than Henderson!), Goodman, Parrish.

Others like Sperry for example are no loss.

The guys we could/will lose if we cut them are LaDarius Green (looking like this will not happen now), Gach, Spurlock, Schilling, Cesaire, Baxter, Hayes, Novak, Anthony Davis (might be better than Henderson!), Goodman, Parrish.

Others like Sperry for example are no loss.

I'd say we'll try get Davis and Hayes to PS anyway. Is Schilling PS eligible?

Baxter and Novak are the only ones there who i think might be taken straight off.

I hope Gachkar makes the team, we didn't value STs enough 2years ago and it really hurt us

I'd say we'll try get Davis and Hayes to PS anyway. Is Schilling PS eligible?

Baxter and Novak are the only ones there who i think might be taken straight off.

I hope Gachkar makes the team, we didn't value STs enough 2years ago and it really hurt us

No chance of Davis to PS, he is a 6/7 yr vet. Doubt Schilling is eligible but not sure. Gach will stick I reckon. Others to PS include Gatson the corner and maybe even Hobbs from SDSU.

• Advertisement

I think we go with 4 safetys and pick up a fifth corner when cuts begin.
    So Corey gets cut and pick up a veteran would be my best guess.

Just looking at our division, I think we are going to win out.
    All the other 3 teams had a poor draft.
    Kansas I think are hoping too many come back from injury to 100% Poe is struggling, was delighted they picked him up.
    We have also improved our run defence even if Charles is back to his best.

Denver. Manning just needs more weapons, run game wont be great either.
    Will be there abouts but I think we are stronger.

Oakland. If that roster beats us our this year we might as well forget about it and start from scratch.

Advertisement