Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MySQL & PHP quick question....

Options
  • 09-03-2007 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

Hey Lads,

I'm getting a result back from the DB using

$result = mysql_query($search);

what i'm asking is if there is any way to search through the rows of results you get from this query so that i can sort them...

i want to put them into a table with a colour coded background. i can do that no probs, but i want to have results of the same type in order

e.g. say these are the result rows i get from the query
    id    -   name    -     position

1    -    john     -     Manager
    2    -   michael  -     Supervisor
    3    -   sean     -     Clerk
    4    -   shane    -     Manager
    5    -   fred      -      Supervisor
    6    -   Steve   -      Manager

can i search the rows to display the managers first, colour code them in a table, then display the clerks, colour code them and then the supervisors and colour code them?

Unfortunately i cant use ORDER BY in the query as they are strings not in alphabetical order.

Can anyone help me out?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can you add another field to the table containing a number 1,2 or 3 depending on their role and sort that way - shouldn't take long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea trying to find a workaround like that alright, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

What you could do is do three seperate queries and print it out accordingly.

The slightly more complex way would be like so (this code prob has a million errors):
    $result = mysql_query("SELECT * from dbname ORDER BY position;");

while($row=mysql_fetch_array($result))
    {
      if($row['position'] == 'Manager')
      {
         ...code for this bit
      }
      else if($row['position'] == 'Supervisor')
      {
         ...code for this bit
      }
      else if($row['position'] == 'blahblahblah')
      {
         ...code for this bit
      }
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i ended up sending the query off 3 times and passing it through a function to colour code it, thanks for the help anyway lads!

Advertisement