Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Arts question!

Options
  • 21-08-2009 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just a quick q! Due to start Arts in September and the only subject I know for definite that I will be doing is English, I'm looking for advice on what other subjects to do, what would compliment English well and most importantly which are the easiest to pass?!

Thanks in advance!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Hey guys,

Just a quick q! Due to start Arts in September and the only subject I know for definite that I will be doing is English, I'm looking for advice on what other subjects to do, what would compliment English well and most importantly which are the easiest to pass?!

Thanks in advance!
    History - very enjoyable and easy to pass. I put in very little work, just read what i needed to read and passed it.
    Geography - Again, as with history, easy to pass once you put even just a tiny bit of work. the cultural side of it is very enjoyable, although the physical module can be difficult, a bit too science like for me.
    Philosphy - I'm not doing this subject but have been told by a few people that its relatively enjoyable.

Stay away from Sociology, Celtic Civ and Psychology.

*Mods - can you make a sticky thread for Arts topics?? Every week there's about 5 threads on Arts all asking the same questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Arsenal, I am curious as to why you would opt to do Arts without any idea as to what other subjects (apart from English) you'd like to study. Something must have attracted you to Arts to begin with; what was it? I ask because if you tell me that, then I might be able to better advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Arsenal1986

Thanks for the replies!

Its not that I don't know which ones at all I want to do, It's just many of them sound very interesting, the ones I like the look of an would appreciate any info on are Psychology, aforementioned History and Geography (thanks again), greek and Roman Civ, Folklore and Politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Thanks for the replies!

Its not that I don't know which ones at all I want to do, It's just many of them sound very interesting, the ones I like the look of an would appreciate any info on are Psychology, aforementioned History and Geography (thanks again), greek and Roman Civ, Folklore and Politics.

Well, here are some general posts I made on the matter: (1) and (2).

If you want to do History, then put it down number 3 after English (1) and Geography (2). These courses are in demand, so give them priority on your preference listings. Ring the History Department to find out if they're capping the number of students they're going to admit this year. If not, then putting history down as number 3 should be okay.

Now, the other subject: I'd say be adventurous. Folklore is a nice one, and ties somewhat into history at the postgraduate level. Sociology is a pain in first year. However, it does stand to you. It introduces you to social theory, which, believe it or not, will stand you in very good stead in Geography, History and English as you progress towards Third Year.

If you are good at a language you could consider doing one of those (French, German, Italian etc.) - don't be scared to try one. These are about far more than just learning a language - you learn about the culture and literature of the country whose language you're studying, and you're taught about translation - which isn't as straight forward as it first seems. It also makes Erasmus Study Abroad programmes a nice option.

Politics is also an enjoyable course, as is Philosophy - it teaches you how to think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Make sure u put English down number 1!!! It was full last year.

I would definately do Psychology!! It's really interesting and relatively easy. Arts students only do 1 essay in the year. Also half the summer exam in an MCQ (multiple choice questions)

I hated Philosophy personally but despite doing nothing in it and being full sure I failed... I still managed to get though! The philosophy department are desperate for people to study it so they make the exams really easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Do Biology, Chemistry and Archeology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭kueef

Thanks for the replies!

my opinions are that psychology is good (some modules are boring though). there are 6 modules so if you are interested u should enjoy some of them.
    politics is good aswel. there are 3 modules ( i found political philosophy painful though)
    geography is really easy to pass. you do alot of the work throughout the year,

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

l'd def reccomend psychology too. only one essay and pretty interesting lectures most of the time. i learned some pretty interestong things in psychology last year like the anatomy of the brain how drugs etc effect you, various diseases of the brain, social psychology like group think, perception, child psychology etc. really interesting!

i loved history too, only three essays and obviously the exams in may.so not too bad like. english is pretty hard going with all of the reading, essays and just general study. but it def very worthhile. def put it no. 1 though because it was full to capactity last year. the class was just huge so i can def see them capping the amount of people who do it.

one word of advice for english though, do not be late or leave early for pfrf. Patricia Coughlans (renaissance poetry) lectures, you will regret it otherwise. :D if you want any other info PM me. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭babel2

english was excellent and in fact better then i thought it would be, taking it on as a joint major along with spanish.
    psychology wasnt too bad, thought it would be better, so many modules and some lectures were just unbearable but still passed even though i was convinced i would have to repeat.
    history was also quite good, a lot of learning and the essays were not that bad either. tutorials were a complete waste of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Each subject has it's own merits.

English is incredibly difficult and time consuming.
    Sociology ... not even going to say anything, just please stay away from it.
    Psychology is ok, can be very repetitive, some parts are very boring.
    Archaeology is hell, don't do it.

As you'll probably have gathered, I am an Arts drop-out:pac:

• Advertisement

Also half the summer exam in an MCQ (multiple choice questions)

Wow, how misleading. The MCQ is worth about 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Skapoot

So now that we've registered for the subjects we'd like to do, when are we allowed to change them (in the event that anyone does change their mind all of a sudden)

?

You can do so by contacting the student admissions office, just call the UCC switchboard and ask to be connected, but be warned, as if a course has already filled you can't change into it.

Advertisement