Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Electrical & electronic engineering?

Options
  • 21-08-2009 2:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Anyone else starting it this year?
    Don't want to turn up to the lecture being the only man there :pac:. . .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rodgerc

Yea, i'm starting this year in electrical and electronic engineering aswell. Say there will be a big crowd this year since the points went up by 55 in one go o_O. Actually cant wait to start it, jobs a gooden

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

rodgerc wrote: »
    Yea, i'm starting this year in electrical and electronic engineering aswell. Say there will be a big crowd this year since the points went up by 55 in one go o_O. Actually cant wait to start it, jobs a gooden

Poor misguided fool! Jobs are tougher than you think to get. For Grads at the moment anyway!

Also the course is tough going, long hours, and a dull crowd! Enjoy and welcome to a crap course! I'll see you in october!

Poor misguided fool! Jobs are tougher than you think to get. For Grads at the moment anyway!

Also the course is tough going, long hours, and a dull crowd! Enjoy and welcome to a crap course! I'll see you in october!

Seems like a very bleak outlook on the course. Cant be as bad as other high math, physics and applied math content courses. I'm guessing your going into second year?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I can't believe that the points are only 355 for this course (and that's up from 300 last year). When I was in UCC they exceeded 500.

Believe me, the points are no reflection on the standard of the course, which is pretty good. Do well in that course, and you should have plenty of choice when it comes to job hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Ah man, the course isn't that bad, don't go scaring the first years now!
    Btw, if you have an interest in the material covered then it is a good course, although you could say that about any course!

Any elec engineers around here going into second year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Points go up because there was a higher demand for same places...think there were only about 20 in the class last year. But you won't have many classes with just elec, in with all engineers for maths and physics, and in with energy eng for quite a lot of subjects afaik (could be wrong, I'm in civil so hadn't much contact with elec.)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭up them Schteps

Seems like a very bleak outlook on the course. Cant be as bad as other high math, physics and applied math content courses. I'm guessing your going into second year?

Going into 4th year so I can say exactly what the course is like! Also, forget content compared to sciences, from second year on you will be doing completly different type of maths that you wont have done before!

As for knifey spoony, your going into second year, double the work content of first year and double the complexity, and thats second year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

If my fellow class mates are as pesimistic as u are then of course it'l be a sh1te course.

If my fellow class mates are as pesimistic as u are then of course it'l be a sh1te course.

dont worry bud im fairly psyched about the whole course, see ya on the 7th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭KokaNoodles

dont worry bud im fairly psyched about the whole course, see ya on the 7th
    Ha yeah looking forward to it, see ya then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Not so really.

Just after graduating myself (well next week) and jobs wise there is still a lot of places hiring. I think the ESB and its affiliates took in the bones of 12 or so, then you also have places like Intel, Barclays, Accenture, etc, also hiring. Anyone who wanted a job got one pretty much.

Course is tough at times and requires hours to be put in if you want a decent result but first year and second year are a breeze. There is a good social side to it too, used to be out once a week with classmates at least or after a late night lab session would head for pints that would turn in to a mid-week booze session.

Good luck in it. Oh and don't forget to keep on top of Maths in first year. Around 50% of people in my class failed that if not more and some of these had A1s or so in Leaving Cert. Was an easy enough exam if you kept tabs on it during hte year by doing the odd bit of study every 3 weeks or so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Did first year of this 2 years ago. Really hated it but thats just my opinion. Didn't like the content, didn't like the lecturers or buildings (Kane and Eleceng buildings are two of the dullest, soul crushing buildings ever built. Class was full of dullards too. But things could be completely different for you of course. Good Luck with it man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

ah the course isn't that dull is it?
    i know law + arts ppl who go out 2or 3 times a week, and maybe 1 or 2 nights in someones house having a session,
    only one night out a week for elec eng?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Yeah, well in fourth year and most of third year i would only be out one night a week. In first and second year you could go out every night of the week as long as your cracked down in hte month off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

D-Generate wrote: »
    Yeah, well in fourth year and most of third year i would only be out one night a week. In first and second year you could go out every night of the week as long as your cracked down in hte month off.

cheers,
    seriously considering this course as it sounds interesting enough,
    where are most of your lectures? hoping there's not much going down to the building by the south gate?(can't think of the name right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

The EE buildings are about as exciting as Brian Cowens desk alright.

Im doing a PostGrad down in the micro building, less people and our own coffee facilities to keep us awake....:P

The EE course is pretty intense, a few who graduated in 2006 with me are still there doing Phd's.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Electrisco-pops

I'm an electrician and I wanted to start the Electrical Engineering course in DIT however all the places are taken. I'm am looking at starting the electronic engineering course in IT Tallaght however I'm not sure if this would be benificial relative to my Trade.
    Any one know weather or not I'll be able to link this course to my trade?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭hudsonriver

I'm an electrician and I wanted to start the Electrical Engineering course in DIT however all the places are taken. I'm am looking at starting the electronic engineering course in IT Tallaght however I'm not sure if this would be benificial relative to my Trade.
    Any one know weather or not I'll be able to link this course to my trade?

Hey, maybe you could post in the engineering forum, might have a better chance of getting answers there, something similiar came up recently I think.

Im doing civil here so woudnt be much help, same maths as elecs in first year and its tough!

Advertisement