Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New York GAA

• 03-05-2015 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Does the team cover New York state or just the city itself? Also does the parish rule apply for them e.g a player who lives in Texas cannot play for New York.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

brianclown wrote: »
    Does the team cover New York state or just the city itself? Also does the parish rule apply for them e.g a player who lives in Texas cannot play for New York.
    Anyone know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Be a wild trek to training.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

As I am aware they are all players picked from the New York boards teams. As I seen the team and subs were all Irish born emigrants. I'm not sure what is being achieved with this yearly game.
    My assumption is that some of the county board expenses are met for the cost of the trip. Is that money not wiser spent trying to link up some nearby schools and clubs close to the stadium?
    - Baseball is losing player numbers due to the cost involved and the general boredom with the game
    - Soccer doesn't interest those Americans who like a physical sport
    - Basketball is out of the reach of most people, even the point guards are starting to be taller
    - American Football has huge participation issues these days due to concussion concerns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Be a wild trek to training.

Imagine the mileage lads would be making

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

As I am aware they are all players picked from the New York boards teams. As I seen the team and subs were all Irish born emigrants. I'm not sure what is being achieved with this yearly game.
    My assumption is that some of the county board expenses are met for the cost of the trip. Is that money not wiser spent trying to link up some nearby schools and clubs close to the stadium?
    - Baseball is losing player numbers due to the cost involved and the general boredom with the game
    - Soccer doesn't interest those Americans who like a physical sport
    - Basketball is out of the reach of most people, even the point guards are starting to be taller
    - American Football has huge participation issues these days due to concussion concerns

Not everything is about the bottom line though- there are intangible benefits to such a match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Not everything is about the bottom line though- there are intangible benefits to such a match
    I was just trying to make maybe the completely opposite point to things being about the bottom line. I would like to see a New York team with at least some home grown talent. A New York combined U14 team made the Feile B Standard semi finals in 2010. They were just about beaten in the semi final and the team who beat them went on to win the Mayo A standard minor final in 2014 featuring a few Mayo minors. The New York lads were big physical lads who if sufficient training investment were put into at school and club level would surely make two or three inter county standard footballers by 19 years of age. The age they will be in 2016. Especially given the natural height and strength of these lads at 14, you could see several of them were decent footballers and going to end up well over six foot and athletic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭threeball

I was just trying to make maybe the completely opposite point to things being about the bottom line. I would like to see a New York team with at least some home grown talent. A New York combined U14 team made the Feile B Standard semi finals in 2010. They were just about beaten in the semi final and the team who beat them went on to win the Mayo A standard minor final in 2014 featuring a few Mayo minors. The New York lads were big physical lads who if sufficient training investment were put into at school and club level would surely make two or three inter county standard footballers by 19 years of age. The age they will be in 2016. Especially given the natural height and strength of these lads at 14, you could see several of them were decent footballers and going to end up well over six foot and athletic.

I think it would be a start if they could start to assemble a homegrown senior team that could enter the later stages of the all ireland junior championship, let them progress like everyone else to intermediate and then senior. No Irish ringers allowed on the teams. It would be something for all American players of all grades to aspire to like an irish lad making his county team.
    The sports have huge potential in the states, but they need to be taken off GAA Go and put on a small american network or netflix if they really want to gain traction. 5 to 6yrs of free to air would suffice.

Advertisement