Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

building a fireplace

• 04-11-2013 3:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

after advice on installing a fire place please.i recently changed arund our kitchen and sitting room and now we have no fireplace in the sitting room.the cottage has 2 chimney's,1 at each end of the building,but the one in the sitting room only has the bricks that form the outside wall.i've seen it done on tv and sort of recall a concrete back being packed with sand etc.could someone tell me wht would be needed to rebuild the back and base.i already have a hearth and can easily build a brick fireplace surround as I am quite handy at the old d.i.y.any idea what sort of costs would be involved too

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭dpofloinn

I would sugest getting a chimney survey done before you go ahead with building the fire place, especially if that chimney has not been in use for sometime.Chimneys will deteriorate over time and the last thing you want is smoke seeping back into your home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If you have a picture it would be great, but withstanding that, as mentioned I would be recommending getting the chimney lined with flues. Brick chimneys deteriorate and ive seen them burn to within an inch of the outside world

Advertisement