Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

leaking roof

Options
  • 02-11-2013 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

i recently bought a house that has an extention with a tiled roof but a very low pitch, which is leaking also. can anybody recommend a solution that will not cost thousands of euros

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Do you have leaks on both extension and house?
    And do you have an idea at what point the water might be getting in?
    A few photos would be good for a visual.

There can be a few possible reasons for the leaks.
    Chimney flashing
    Broken roof tiles
    Valley lead/pointing
    The low pitch leading to moss/algae growth in tile joints which can eventually leads to the rainwater backing up and leaking inside.

If any of the above, they would be relatively minor jobs to fix.
    Did you get an engineers report before buying the property or was it something you knew about beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

As said, picrures are essential here, outside ans inside

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CBIBB

Hi,
    It can be a number of things, two main problems that come to mind are Roof Pitch, a lot of roof tile will not go below 22.5 degrees and if velux windows are fitted incorrectly I.E put on below 15 degrees and not flashed properly. You will see problems around the plaster board at the window sections and ar the eave abutments with the wall.
    What is the roof pitch?
    If your not sure give me the dim. And I can work it out for you.

Advertisement