Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patio Door Window Condensation Problem

• 30-10-2013 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all. About 3 years ago my bedroom patio door window was smashed by some thug who attempted to gain entry to the apartment. Anyhow i had this replaced and ever since this window completely fills up with condensation every morning. This NEVER occurred before the window was replaced. As you'll see from the attached picture, the window on the left has no condensation while the window which was replaced is completely covered in condensation (no other window in my apartment fills up with condensation like this).

I had the guy back who replaced it and he said there is nothing wrong with the window in terms of seals etc (he would say this of course! ).. So really i'm at my whits end about what i can do to fix this.
    Before anyone asks..i'm not drying any clothes in the room and don't want to go the humidifier route as this looks like a problem purely with the window.

Does anyone know what the cause of this is...could it be that he fitted it poorly and there is some sort of leak in the seal allowing cold air into the inside of the window glazing???

Really would appreciate some pointers on how i can fix this!
    Thanks folks
    J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LooksLikeRain

is the condensation on the inside of the glazed unit? Can you wipe off the condensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 geanfranco

Its on the inside..can wipe the condensation..completely soaks the cloth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It seems the replacement you got is not performing to anywhere like the standard of your original glass.
    If it were fogging up between the double glazing panels, it would be a faulty glazing unit. Seeing as this is not happening, it would appear that you simply got a low tech replacement. If your place is a recent build, it would be likely be fitted with an improved double glazing system such a Low E Glass which reduces temperature drop across the glass panes and the cavity between argon filled. The argon gas is an improvement over the (dry) air filled cavity. The spacer between panes can also be aluminium type or improved warm type.
    You are probably looking at getting a new glazing unit yet again, Look at the spacer between the 2 panes of glass on the originally fitted glass. You will often find tiny print giving date of manufacture. If might also give additional info.

This means the actual window unit is sealed.
    Check for ventilation holes in the frame, they may be blocked on one side.
    Also, the new unit may be airfilled whereas the previous unit was argon filled.

Thanks Mickdw, i do remember the guy mentioning at the time that it wasn't the exact same pane replacement because they didn't stock it..didn't think anything of it at the time and to be honest i needed to get the pane fixed straight away. I went with Dynorod for the glass repair. Also the new window fitted is nearly twice as heavy as the last pane of glass (if that gives more clues as to the type of glass)..I'll look at the original glass and see what information i can glean. If i need to get a new pane, would you be able to recommend a reputable supplier who could fit the LOW E glass with argon window? Thanks in advance..

• Advertisement

Thanks Lookslikerain for the info..

two companies who specializse in these type of replacments are
    Energlaze http://www.energlaze.ie/
    http://vikingenergyglass.ie/

I have got quotes from both in the past, but found energlaze hungry for the business whereas viking had to chased for the info requested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,462 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

geanfranco wrote: »
    ...... Also the new window fitted is nearly twice as heavy as the last pane of glass (if that gives more clues as to the type of glass)..I'll look at the original glass and see what information i can glean. If i need to get a new pane, would you be able to recommend a reputable supplier who could fit the LOW E glass with argon window? Thanks in advance..

Being heavier would suggest that you got thicker glass and reduced air gap which probably wouldnt help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

What sort of quotes do energlaze and viking give?

energlaze came in at 250-300 and viking promised to get back to me but never did..exactly as LooksLikeRain said..viking don't really care about getting the business!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Sounds either like a blocked or missing permavent, or the replacement unit isn't as insulating as the broken one it replaced, due to either the glass thickness, the size of the airspace or what gas that space is filled with. If it's not a blocked permavent, the only solution I can think of is a replacement unit of higher spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

geanfranco wrote: »
    energlaze came in at 250-300 and viking promised to get back to me but never did..exactly as LooksLikeRain said..viking don't really care about getting the business!!!

I presume that's per windows?

Advertisement