Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda 5 Owners?

Options
  • 02-01-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

Will be looking very soon for a replacement for our Avensis with more seats.
    I've read about these being a 6.5 seater, which would suit us.

Anyone out there have one and can give an opinion on theirs, we would be looking at the Petrol 1.8 as mileage not high, thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

techie wrote: »
    Will be looking very soon for a replacement for our Avensis with more seats.
    I've read about these being a 6.5 seater, which would suit us.

Anyone out there have one and can give an opinion on theirs, we would be looking at the Petrol 1.8 as mileage not high, thanks.

We have one for the last 2 years, they are a 6.5 seater alright as the seat in the middle is kinda narrow. They are a good car though, our has a 1.8 petrol engine and when driving around they are pretty quick. The engine is chain driven so no timing belt. Suspension is from Ford Focus so it's easy to get parts and any mechanic can service it.

Best part of the car though are the sliding doors, a blessing when you've small kids. The boot is large when the seats are down but almost non existent when they are up.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The Verso/Corolla Verso would be worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ptyloch

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The Verso/Corolla Verso would be worth a look too.

The sliding doors are a winner though :-). Friends of ours have a 2008 Zafira and a 2004 Scenic and it' s unreal how much easier it is to get in and out with the kids from the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate it.

Colm, the Verso is on our list, but my thinking is , its based on the Corolla so width across middle seats would be less than our 05 Avensis, we have 2 x car seats in the Avensis and my wife can just about fit between them on short journeys only. (I am open to correction on that)

That's why I was looking at the 5, I like the looks of it, the sliding doors, and the fact that there would be 4 almost full size seats behind the front row, 2 x car seats in either 2nd or 3rd row and then 2 other seats free for adults.

And before either of ye suggest the next category up, my sister has a 08 Galaxy and that it too big !! :)

Corolla Verso is based on the Avensis and is wider inside. It also has 3 proper seats in the middle row that all slide/fold/recline independently.
    Importantly, it also has very flat seats in the middle row, and flat door trims inside - and the child seats are farther apart than they would be on your avensis (which has big seat bolsters at the edge).

ebay757041.jpg

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that Colm, thought the avensis verso was based on our car.
    Will definitely check out the Corolla verso so as that looks to be the right choice for us.

The Avensis Verso was based on the 97-03 Avensis.
    Fella work has a Mazda5, and it seems a great car apart from the small middle seat.

The Avensis Verso was based on the 97-03 Avensis.

Aha that makes sense , thanks again.

Best model to get is the last of the 1.6 Luna with parking sensors/climate control/tinted rear windows - and rear electric windows (which most versos don't have)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/toyota-corolla-verso-1-6-luna/7685058

Best model to get is the last of the 1.6 Luna with parking sensors/climate control/tinted rear windows - and rear electric windows (which most versos don't have)

Ok they would be 09's yeah ?

• Advertisement

08. Ideally early 08 as tax is cheaper on cc than co2.

This'll give you an idea ;)

onfmKh.png

Are 1.8 ok in those as would prefer a bit more power than our 1.6 avensis, not worried about tax difference ?

The only 1.8 model we got here was the dreadful MMT semi automatic.

You can get the 1.8 in manual in the UK, some will have see their way here

Eg
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/corolla-verso/used-2007-toyota-corolla-verso-1-dublin-fpa-201438227178811

Watch specs as UK ones can be much higher or much lower spec than you'd expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Are 1.8 ok in those as would prefer a bit more power than our 1.6 avensis, not worried about tax difference ?

I was thinking the same thing, a friend of mine had the verso in 1.6 version and it felt very heavy and really slow. If your going to spend decent money on a car you should at least enjoy driving it.

The only 1.8 model we got here was the dreadful MMT semi automatic.

You can get the 1.8 in manual in the UK, some will have see their way here

Eg
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/toyota/corolla-verso/used-2007-toyota-corolla-verso-1-dublin-fpa-201438227178811

Watch specs as UK ones can be much higher or much lower spec than you'd expect.

Thanks for all of this Colm, I assume you sold/sell Toyota's :)

Sold

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is a Honda FRV an option?

bazz26 wrote: »

No, as she who must be obeyed does not like it! :)
    Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

bazz26 wrote: »

I considered a 5 but ended up with an FRV

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I looked a the Mazda 5 recently - very similar to the Grand C Max which I am selling. Middle seat in the back is very small - it's never used in my car. I ended up going for a Kia Carens which is a similar type of car but doesn't have the sliding doors - they are brilliant, especial;y in car parks, or for getting children in and out of the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Have a Mazda 5 for the last 5 years. 2 young kids and a dog and find it very practical and flexible.

As others have mentioned the sliding doors are brilliant, no concerns about the kids bashing doors off other cars and very easy to access for elderly relatives as well.

The 3rd row of seats are great for us as they fold completely flat and open independently offering the flexibility to put the dog in the boot plus a passenger or two passengers with the dog in the front. The middle seat in the middle row is for short journeys only. The boot is almost non-existent with the third row of seats but we've never had the need to transport loads of stuff with a full car so roof box for long journeys.

Surprisingly good as a transporter of stuff too. The second row of seats folds flat as well as the third giving you quite a big space to use. I've had a sofa, wardrobes etc. in there..

Clearlier wrote: »
    Have a Mazda 5 for the last 5 years. 2 young kids and a dog and find it very practical and flexible.

As others have mentioned the sliding doors are brilliant, no concerns about the kids bashing doors off other cars and very easy to access for elderly relatives as well.

The 3rd row of seats are great for us as they fold completely flat and open independently offering the flexibility to put the dog in the boot plus a passenger or two passengers with the dog in the front. The middle seat in the middle row is for short journeys only. The boot is almost non-existent with the third row of seats but we've never had the need to transport loads of stuff with a full car so roof box for long journeys.

Surprisingly good as a transporter of stuff too. The second row of seats folds flat as well as the third giving you quite a big space to use. I've had a sofa, wardrobes etc. in there..

Thanks for this, is yours the 1.8 petrol, and if it is, good on fuel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Thanks for this, is yours the 1.8 petrol, and if it is, good on fuel?

You're welcome. 2.0 petrol. I don't really know how it compares to other cars on fuel to be honest.

Just to update my own thread, we went with a Mazda 5 in the end, had a look at both that and the Verso, the Verso was too small and the 1.6 Petrol engine that we like in our avensis is not powerful enough for the weight of the Verso.

So 08 Mazda 5 1.8 Petrol we have now, great to drive, nice and quiet on the road and plenty of space for all of us :)

Well wear!

Thanks Colm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,112 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Best of luck with it, the styling of the 08 is much better than the newer model imho.

Yeah, state of the doors on the new one!

2014_mazda5.jpg

NIMAN wrote: »
    Best of luck with it, the styling of the 08 is much better than the newer model imho.

Thanks, Yes I agree, I think the 08 Facelift is better than the pre-facelift and is much nicer than the current one too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 JKChesser

If you get a used Mazda 5 just be careful about the following trouble areas:

Suspension:

our 2007 Mazda 5 has had 3 sets of shocks and shackles...it just failed the NCT for the second time for a list of other suspension problems...I have talked to other Mazda 5 owners and it seems to be the achilles heal of the car

Engine:

our 2007 has 210,000 km on the engine...while that is high...for the last 6-8 months it has been drinking oil like a drunken sailor...again, this seems to be another issue for this engine with high mileage.

just a few things to let you all know...

Advertisement