Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to fix a hinge and bathroom ceiling issue

Options
  • 21-10-2013 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Complete newb and pleb when it comes to DIY but have to start sometime and I am taking next week off to paint my apartment so I want to tackle two other issues that I have as well.

1. Door Hinge.
    A door is coming away from the top hinge, I reckon the screws have lost their bite/traction. So the door obviously doesn't close properly, you have to lift it back towards the hinge to close it.

What's the best way of fixing this? Do I take the door off the hinges, and put plugs in the screw holes and try and hang it again?

2. Bathroom Ceiling
    This is the one that is more concerning, seeing as I live in an apartment. In one corner of the bathroom, the covering/plaster has cracked and it looks like it's bubbled and come away from the actual ceiling. It's not like this anywhere else in the apartment, and it's only a portion of the bathroom - is this common? I heard something about pyrite recently and I'm concerned this may be related... is it possible?

Do I just clear the affected part away and plaster the patch? Is it plaster I use lol?!

Lads any help on the above issues would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Those hinges are frustrating. Take out one screw from the bottom, and measure it, to get the next size up in Diameter and length. Probably something like 3.5 x 25, the next up would be 4.0 x 30.
    Then replace all three screws in the top hinge, (one at a time) with the larger screws.

For the bathroom, its just a replastering. You can get premixed finishcoat plaster, but maybe cheaper to get a bag of skincoat. Either ways you need a good trowel. Start thin and wet, so you don't overdo it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Cheers Whizbang, really appreciate the pointers - especially about the door - I'd probably have taken the full thing off the hinges!

Will give both of these a shot now this week. Cheers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

Just an update - Whizbang, thanks very much for the pointers. Got them both sorted last week and am very happy with myself lol. :D

Advertisement