Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Burn marks on PVC windows

• 14-10-2013 10:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

The marks of a wayward teenager. :rolleyes: Cigarette burns on a PVC window frame. Is there a special paint I can get to cover over the burns?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Anyone got any advice, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Thanks for that link. Checked it out and lots of suggestions there. It may come down to Brillo and white nail varnish in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mann

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Anyone got any advice, please?

Yes :)

I have repaired a lot of things with this gel coat, first time I used it on a boat I was amazed at the result and it has came in handy when a piece of fibre glass broke off my engine cover,

It a 2 part kit made up of 2 tubes.. 1 large / 1 small, if you have never used this before I would advise you not to use too much hardener “small tube”,

Just follow instructions as near as you can, before you do the repair mix a small tester piece and you will see how rapid it goes off when mixed right, it gives a nice bright white finish and sets hard as stone,

Its an easy way to patch up any plastic damage,

Put some masking tape around the area to be repaired and make sure to sand down any high bumps that the cigarette might have caused as it melted the sill,

Sanding down also helps the plastic padding to get a good key / grip, reason for the first masking tape is so you don’t put unwanted scratches outside the area you want to repair,

If you damaged the tape while sanding replace it in a nice tidy little square around the burn… this will save you having to do a lot of sanding later,

Now mix and apply inside the taped off area, if you do it right first time you wont even need to sand it,

Any car factor shop should sell it, just ask for gel coat repair kit.. Bought one less than a year ago for €11,

Don’t be the hero USE GLOVES

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gelcoat-Filler-Plastic-Padding-165gm/dp/B0017YAX32/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383789562&sr=8-1&keywords=gel+coat

As I said, if you aint used it before then you should find yourself a flat area to try it out first,

mask off an inch sq area on your wheelie bin... sand it with fine paper then mix a small amount, then you will know what to expect and maybe learn an easier way to apply the gear. Good luck

Advertisement