Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad smell from En suite

Options
  • 05-11-2013 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

hi im hoping someone can help me. I have the most disgusting smell in my ensuite bathroom (upstairs), like a stale water smell. Ive used bleech, mr muscle drain clear stuff, which smells lovely but doesnt last very long. Do you think i need to get dyno rod or someone out like that to look at it? My parnter says im mad and it doesnt smell. But its so bad i could smell it when i put the key in the front door yesterday. Im pregnant and is nearly making me vomit.
    Id appreciate any feed back, tks in advance confused.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably the trap in the shower drain hole. You can usually remove the trap and clean out all the accumulated hair, soap residue and other "gunk" which will help enormously. On ours I have to first prise the little grid off with a screwdriver, and then I can rotate and then pull out the trap using a pair of pliers, but others may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭1865

Hi Britney

Could it be something as simple as the u bend drying out in the shower. If a sink or shower is not used for a while in a warm house the water in the u bend dries out and allows the sewer smells to get in to the room.

It is worth checking this by pouring a few pints of water down the sink or shower. The smell should go fairly instantly.
    britney252 wrote: »
    hi im hoping someone can help me. I have the most disgusting smell in my ensuite bathroom (upstairs), like a stale water smell. Ive used bleech, mr muscle drain clear stuff, which smells lovely but doesnt last very long. Do you think i need to get dyno rod or someone out like that to look at it? My parnter says im mad and it doesnt smell. But its so bad i could smell it when i put the key in the front door yesterday. Im pregnant and is nearly making me vomit.
    Id appreciate any feed back, tks in advance confused.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8 britney252

The floor is tiled, so we cant get at the u bend.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

Alun wrote: »
    Probably the trap in the shower drain hole. You can usually remove the trap and clean out all the accumulated hair, soap residue and other "gunk" which will help enormously. On ours I have to first prise the little grid off with a screwdriver, and then I can rotate and then pull out the trap using a pair of pliers, but others may be different.

This would be my first port of call also. Identical setup in my place. The "dirt" collector rotates 90deg and pulls out with a pliers. Accumulated hair smell can be pretty rank after a while.

The floor is tiled, so we cant get at the u bend.
    You should still be able to access it if you remove the grill / grid over the drain hole.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    This would be my first port of call also. Identical setup in my place. The "dirt" collector rotates 90deg and pulls out with a pliers. Accumulated hair smell can be pretty rank after a while.

we have this out already!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some extra thick bleach in the sink and shower plug hole? The kind that sticks longer to the inside of the pipes.
    Unless you have a blockage proper I don't really see a reason for a dynorod, can't hurt though I assume.

biko wrote: »
    Some extra thick bleach in the sink and shower plug hole? The kind that sticks longer to the inside of the pipes.
    Unless you have a blockage proper I don't really see a reason for a dynorod, can't hurt though I assume.

Thank you, we have tried bleach, and all them liquid stuff you can buy in local shop, but nothing is getting the smell away for long enough. Its stinkin out our bedroom and all. I have candles lighting in the ensuite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

Has the/a smell always been present or is this something that only happened recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

Do you leave the xpelair on after you use the shower? I know in one friend's house, they have to leave it on half the day in order to keep the damp smell away.

A builder once told me that some smelly drains are the result of problems with the plumbing further down - a pipe is too long so that water sits in it and becomes stagnant. How to solve it, I'm not sure but running the water for a few minutes helps to clear it

• Advertisement

neemish wrote: »
    Do you leave the xpelair on after you use the shower? I know in one friend's house, they have to leave it on half the day in order to keep the damp smell away.

A builder once told me that some smelly drains are the result of problems with the plumbing further down - a pipe is too long so that water sits in it and becomes stagnant. How to solve it, I'm not sure but running the water for a few minutes helps to clear it

Yes, we do. We leave it on for a while but it doesnt seem to do anything, honest! Only makes noise ha

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

we have this out already!

Sometimes people can take out the easy clean trap and not put it back in fully. If its not seated back down fully you will get a smell. Also check that the black thin rubber washer is around the piece you pull out.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Baking soda and vinegar might help, not very costly either.

Or check this out

sundula wrote: »
    Has the/a smell always been present or is this something that only happened recently?

Only the last couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I know of two instances of a smell appearing in bathrooms if the wind was blowing a certain way. In both cases in was cured extending the height of the 4" vent pipe on the outside, something to do with the height of their particular vents and the angle of the roofs.

But if you have been leaving in you house a couple of months/years then you would have noticed a smell before now.

It could be a melting light fixture or indeed connection in the extractor fan maybe ?

I shall take a photo tonight and post it in the morning and ill show yous, tks

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Only the last couple of weeks
    How long are you pregnant? You can become sensitive to certain smells, which could be why your partner isnt bothered by it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

If I don't clean out our shower trap often enough it gets clogged with hair, shampoo, conditioner, soap etc., etc. These things usually smell nice in their proper place, however, in your trap after weeks/months they get very stinky. I just clean it out with whatever I can get down there and wash it through with warm suddy water and some bleach. Its usually fine afterwards. If I leave the cleaning process too long the smell is really disgusting so I try to keep on top of it. No-one else will notice the smell because they don't want to clean it! :mad:

Here's a link to a video posted on another thread on the subject a while back ...

http://plumbing-n-electric.wonderhowto.com/how-to/clean-shower-waste-trap-261340/

Advertisement