Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

inset stove.

Options
  • 06-10-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

I had an inset stove fitted recently. The hearth and surround is marble.
    The hearth and both sides (marble) stay nice and cool no matter how big the fire but the marble at the top gets very very hot.
    Is it normal that the top should get so hot.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

I had an inset stove fitted recently. The hearth and surround is marble.
    The hearth and both sides (marble) stay nice and cool no matter how big the fire but the marble at the top gets very very hot.
    Is it normal that the top should get so hot.
    Thanks.
    It's normal as the heat that comes off them is savage that's why manufacturers state around 500mm distance to combustibles at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Thanks for reply.
    I just wanted to know if this is the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 dihedral8

Hi im about to fit an inset stove right against chimney breast(no fireplace). Im planning on sitting it on a granite hearth made using pieces of granite rather than one solid piece(to allow for heat expansion). I was advised to put a non-combustible material left , right and up 200mm from stove fascia . Im wondering if granite would do as this material on its own, or would it be better to stick fireboard on the chimney breast instead, or do both?

Advertisement