Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you do at work?

Options
  • 13-08-2015 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I want to know what my friends of profession doing on their normal day work?

And maybe We can exchange experiences.
    I will start:

I work with Solaris checking process working on it. Like load of process, killing zombie process, checking logs. I also work with Jboss EAP and Gnu/Linux Red Hat, making scripts, configuring openldad, ibm mq admin object resources, data sources etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Well, I'm a Pen Tester by trade. Even though I bought a very cool Kali t-shirt at DC, I don't actually like Kali. I prefer Fedora and CentOS.

What I do? I break into corporate networks and web applications, with their permission of course! I uncover vulnerabilities and give long boring presentations to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

Trained as a Solaris Admin but currently setting up a humongous redhat satellite 6/Puppet environment. it feels like i will be doing it for the rest of my life, so many problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

micko45 wrote: »
    Trained as a Solaris Admin but currently setting up a humongous redhat satellite 6/Puppet environment. it feels like i will be doing it for the rest of my life, so many problems with it.

Wait for Satellite 6.1

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭micko45

got the GA 6.1 last week but doesn't fix our main issues.

But really enjoying working with the puppet part of it. Really useful tool for managing lots of different servers. Foreman/puppet really rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I was at a party at the weekend and and got introduced to another "IT" guy. When he asked me what I did I hesitated. I have no idea what my job title is any more.
    Any given day can range from consulting, developing (have about 3-4 FOSS projects I'm involved in), system administration (about 80 clients, running various Linux based systems), network administration, security consultant (hardening, pen testing), MySQL DBA, .......my eyes are bleeding just writing this.
    Also, because in my past life I was a Windows system admin for many years, I sometimes get roped back into dealing with that nightmare, and Exchange, and IIS - jaysus I hate Windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭liamo

I'd be in much the same situation as azzeretti in that my role encompasses pretty much every aspect of IT you could think of - InfoSec, developer, DBA, support, SysAdmin - although at the moment it's pretty much focused on InfoSec. My title depends on who I am talking to and what the subject matter is - mostly it's IT Manager.

If there is a requirement for some work and it doesn't fall neatly into someone else's job description then it usually ends up in my lap. That has its pros and cons - it does keep the job very varied however finding time to actually do everything can be difficult.

Edit: 1000th post. Yay!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

azzeretti wrote: »
    I was at a party at the weekend and and got introduced to another "IT" guy. When he asked me what I did I hesitated. I have no idea what my job title is any more.
    Any given day can range from consulting, developing (have about 3-4 FOSS projects I'm involved in), system administration (about 80 clients, running various Linux based systems), network administration, security consultant (hardening, pen testing), MySQL DBA, .......my eyes are bleeding just writing this.
    Also, because in my past life I was a Windows system admin for many years, I sometimes get roped back into dealing with that nightmare, and Exchange, and IIS - jaysus I hate Windows.

Pretty much everything on this list, minus the InfoSec.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Polishing my CV.
    Apart from that: MySQL, some shell/python scripting, ELK Stack testing plus some legal analysis when I can a word in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Software project manager.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Site reliability engineer. Lots of puppet, terraform, AWS, python, ruby, go. Lots of other stuff too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 thiagoborn

It's the same in Brazil. I work to french company, but allocated on a Brazilian federal institution.
    There is no regimentation for IT. So if we are overwhelmed by work. In other words, work as a dba, programmer, web application administrator or stripper, is normal. So after one year of almost slavery, We made a proposal to become more segmented. Things are better now.
    By the way, I am looking forward to buy a Sun Microsystems machine (to my personal lab). But I live on a stupid country. We have really high taxes to imported technology. Here the server Sun t5220 is about 3000,00 american dollars (a used one). It's just one of many reasons that I want go abroad. Sorry just drink to much today and my hate is over my sanity. Many countries assigned a agreement to reduce the taxes of equipment related to IT and research in general. But the politicians from here, those genius denied the agreement.

You people from Ireland are cool to respond to this thread. I will try to ask people from other countries, to figure out how our human resources are being used. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I work in and educational institution, as an academic, and I am essentially all of the above - system admin, dba, Web developer, system architect and most of all, level 1,2 and 3 technical support.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

A fair mix for me also, Linux, ESX, Solaris admin with a bit of Windows stuff thrown in, care & feeding of a HPC system, web/mail server support & a bit of SAN admin with IBM & EMC boxes & of course crazy user support for just about everything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

IT Manager for a Windows (boo, hiss! :p) environment, but thinking of dipping my toe into the Linux world after several aborted attempts over the years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    IT Manager for a Windows (boo, hiss! :p) environment, but thinking of dipping my toe into the Linux world after several aborted attempts over the years.

You're missing out big time.

48243871.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11 thiagoborn

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

If you need some help to dig in, be my guest. Next year I will move to Portugal, I am excited!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I'm a software engineer, and generally the people I work for take on lots of projects for other companies. So I have a lot of freedom in what I can use, and generally I use that freedom to write software that depends on FOSS projects, forcing the companies we work with to use it. (I mean I get them to agree first, I'm not completely malicious) Unfortunately I generally cant open source my professional work, as it will belong to other the company I write it for, or the company I work for. But I do contribute back to the FOSS projects I use, when I can, and I've also written some patches for linux in my free time.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I was a Network Engineer in a fantastic company where we used a lot of open source software and contributing to the community was encouraged.
    Now I manage some projects,and do a bit of everything for some small companies.

Advertisement