Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ubuntu phone a possibility?

Options
  • 05-01-2012 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

Canonical are set to make a big announcement next month and there are increasing rumours that this could be it.

phone_mockup_1_by_eldron2323-d4ie47k.jpg
    ONLY A MOCK UP

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/is-ubuntu-concept-design-a-unity-phone/

I would LOVE if they went down this route. I hope they don't rush it and keep the principals of linux customisation abilities and such, Although I suppose their target audience wouldn't be the regulars.

What ya think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I have my doubts, but if it did happen, I would be interested. As much as I like droid, it is not as Open as I would like. A phone properly running linux would be awesome.

Not sure I would want it running ubuntu though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

OSI wrote: »
    Oh yay! Now they can ruin mobile phones like they've ruined their desktop OS!

Ah I think that's a bit harsh. If anything Unity was made for this. I wasn't the biggest fan of Unity when it first came out but now I'm starting to see the productivity advantage of the different lenses. I used to think everything was too hidden on you. But now I can see that you can still browse through the separate categories within the Dash.
    syklops wrote: »
    I have my doubts, but if it did happen, I would be interested. As much as I like droid, it is not as Open as I would like. A phone properly running linux would be awesome.

Not sure I would want it running ubuntu though.

I think it's a given that you would have to try one out. They'll really have to bring something to the table to pull customers away from Iphone's and Androids though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

they already said ages ago they are going down the mobile route

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/820

Stuxnet wrote: »
    they already said ages ago they are going down the mobile route

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/820

Yeah I know. It's pretty much what Unity is about. I wouldn't have expected an announcement this soon though. But obviously could just be rumours.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What handset manufacturer is most likely to want to row in with Ubuntu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Whoever they may be, they run the risk of a certain company claiming patent infringement and forcing them to pay licenses for each product sold. Android is popular, and handset makers are willing to pay license fees to continue selling android products. I couldn't see anyone taking the same risk with an Ubuntu phone edition. That being said, seeing a proper Linux phone with Unity would be amazing.

I'd say Lenovo or Dell. They have lots of ambitions for smartphones in China, and a Linux phone might do well there. Can't see this succeeding anywhere in the West though.

...Can't see this succeeding anywhere in the West though.

Well they'll have one customer anyway :) I think your on to something with Dell alright. Didn't they have a phone before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I think that they will struggle to bring a true alternative to the market from what is essentially scratch.'

Would they rely on compatibility with Android apps, or try going it alone? Without a range of Apps what good is a smartphone? :-\ If it had a range of apps available it would definitely get my Euro's though! :)

Cliste wrote: »
    I think that they will struggle to bring a true alternative to the market from what is essentially scratch.'

Would they rely on compatibility with Android apps, or try going it alone? Without a range of Apps what good is a smartphone? :-\ If it had a range of apps available it would definitely get my Euro's though! :)

From my understanding of the whole Unity concept is that, they wan't to make everything compatible with each other so you can seamlessly go from your tablet to your phone, smart TV or Desktop and still have all of your favourite Apps and access to all your files via the cloud and such. Basically "flawless" integration.

So I would assume they would try to bring the apps that can be brought over. Also with the community behind it there would be alot of developers developing apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Cliste wrote: »

No offence but that was what was said about Android in the early days. That building a phone OS from 'scratch' was too big a task for a company inexperienced in the handset market. Then they did it. Now it has the market share.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Apple ==> iBuntu

I would say a fairly similar list to those offering Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

Has anyone actually used linux (debian has been available for years) on a phone. Its a disaster! There are no decent phone apps at the moment for SIP clients and that tech has been around for years, what makes you think they'll magic a decent phone app out of thin air. Nevermind all the other apps that are in this day and age required to get users onto the phone? How will it attract developers - Ubuntu is already struggling on the desktop.

This is a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

doopa wrote: »
    Has anyone actually used linux (debian has been available for years) on a phone. Its a disaster! There are no decent phone apps at the moment for SIP clients and that tech has been around for years, what makes you think they'll magic a decent phone app out of thin air. Nevermind all the other apps that are in this day and age required to get users onto the phone? How will it attract developers - Ubuntu is already struggling on the desktop.

This is a bad idea.

Is Linphone not a decent app?
    I have not used it on a phone, but it is 'decent' on a PC.

Have you used it?

Have you used it?
    On both a phone and desktop. I'd say its crap for a phone app and for the desktop. Have you used many other phone apps on the desktop?

On both a phone and desktop. I'd say its crap for a phone app and for the desktop. Have you used many other phone apps on the desktop?

Yes I have tried many over the years.

What is the 'crap' part? ....... does it fail to connect? does it drop calls?

Would like to hear others' experiences with it, as it works fine here, which causes me to recommend it.

Yes I have tried many over the years.

What is the 'crap' part? ....... does it fail to connect? does it drop calls?

Would like to hear others' experiences with it, as it works fine here, which causes me to recommend it.

The codex it uses for calls and the sound quality.

The UI isn't great - IMO.

Have you used it?

Thanks for pointing this out. Never seen Linphone before. Have been looking for an equivalent to Viber to use on blackberry.

The codex it uses for calls and the sound quality.

The UI isn't great - IMO.

I accept the UI may not be the greatest :D but on a desktop that is not of concern to me, and I have never used it on a phone, as I said.

The codecs available seem to be a little limited I guess (this install) but at the same time appear to be sufficient ......

speex 32000 28kb/s min vbr
    speex 16000 28kb/s min vbr
    speex 8000 8kb/s min vbr
    GSM 8000 13.5kb/s min
    PCMU 8000 64kb/s min
    PCMA 8000 64kb/s min
    G722 added in the latest release I believe (not updated here)

Others I have use include Twinkle ...... which I think does not do a phone app ..... and is quite configurable - to the point of confusion :D Its codec support includes

G.711 A-law (64 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)
    G.711 μ-law (64 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)
    GSM (13 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)
    Speex narrow band (15.2 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)
    Speex wide band (28 kbps payload, 16 kHz sampling rate)
    Speex ultra wide band (36 kbps payload, 32 kHz sampling rate)
    iLBC (13.3 or 15.2 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)
    G.726 (16, 24, 32 or 40 kbps payload, 8 kHz sampling rate)

The last one I would mention here is Ekiga.
    Again I guess the UI is nothing fancy, but is functional.
    It too has a wide range of codecs.
    I have found it solid and dependable in use.
    It is available for Linux and Windows, but no phone app that I am aware of. (ekiga.net)

The choice of VOIP clients for phones seems rather limited ....... what alternatives are there to Linphone, that are OSS?

I have noticed a tendency of client apps released by particular service companies have an artificial limitation introduced ..... they only allow free calls to others who are registered with them.
    It is a very good reason to stay away from them ...... as bad as Skype! Limiting who users can communicate with. The software I mentioned above does not do this.

regards.

The choice of VOIP clients for phones seems rather limited ....... what alternatives are there to Linphone, that are OSS?

I have noticed a tendency of client apps released by particular service companies have an artificial limitation introduced ..... they only allow free calls to others who are registered with them.
    It is a very good reason to stay away from them ...... as bad as Skype! Limiting who users can communicate with. The software I mentioned above does not do this.

regards.

Too true - I really hope SIP takes off as it would make phone calls basically free. Having decent alternatives to skype would be an improvement although I note skype are making sip calling available to business users.

Too true - I really hope SIP takes off as it would make phone calls basically free. Having decent alternatives to skype would be an improvement although I note skype are making sip calling available to business users.

Skype have to be really scared of allowing SIP integration for everyone.
    Their 'closed community' control would be gone in an instant.

Businesses have used SIP long before Skype existed, so I guess MS is now attempting to bring those businesses into their fold by enabling Skype/SIP integration.

If it is allowed for ordinary users I do not see free Skype competing well with all the other SIP services out there. In fact if SIP users can easily and without cost call Skype users I think the uptake on Skype would drop drastically.

The only good thing I can say about Skype is that they appear to have a very good audio codec ..... or are managing it very well.
    I think it is probably the best of the bunch for VOIP, TBH.
    I suspect it is because it was developed specifically for use on PCs/Laptops so all the unwanted feedback etc is cancelled out, whereas the codecs used on SIP were developed for Phone use, and are likely lagging in that respect.

BTW ..... I use SIP for all outgoing calls, and have done for quite some time.
    Most of my house phones have been reallocated to SIP and no landline use at all for making calls.
    I still have a landline - unfortunately needed for broadband - so I have left one phone to receive calls on the landline.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

i wouldnt mind seeing them use a similar hardware to droid phones to allow easy porting or even better them releasing a vanilla rom with no drivers for customisation. cant see it happening so easily though

BTW ..... I use SIP for all outgoing calls, and have done for quite some time.
    Most of my house phones have been reallocated to SIP and no landline use at all for making calls.
    I still have a landline - unfortunately needed for broadband - so I have left one phone to receive calls on the landline.

Same here but I have UPC so no need for the landline. I love the extra features of SIP and not having to pay line rental.

Having used a linux phone I can't say I'm overly enthusiatic about the prospect of new ones. Has anyone used Meego - why Ubuntu over this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

syklops wrote: »
    No offence but that was what was said about Android in the early days. That building a phone OS from 'scratch' was too big a task for a company inexperienced in the handset market. Then they did it. Now it has the market share.

No offense taken!

I would imagine that it would threaten to stretch the capacity of the developers on Ubuntu. There's a limit to how much can be achieved, and if you ask me there's lots to be done to make the desktop version smoother!

I do like the idea of the seamless integration between all devices. I hope it works well if they do go down the route.

Looks like It's going to be an Ubuntu Powered Internet TV.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/01/ubuntu-powered-tv-to-be-revealed-at-ces/

Maybe it's a better place to start than the Phone front, but I gotta say I was hoping for the phone haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Looks like a weird choice. I thought profit margins were pretty low in TV's. All jokes aside, you'd need beefy enough hardware to run Ubuntu on a TV. Add in a decent ARM processor/board, licensing codecs and getting content sources and the cost of this is going to be fairly expensive.

They might be better off de-emphasising the Ubuntu/Linux component though. If this is going to be a mass market product, then they can't exactly rely on the familiarity of Ubuntu to sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

This is a bad idea.

Ask anyone with an N900 that question and you'll get a different answer. The N900 phone client has very good integration between GSM, SIP and Skype all through one interface using telepathy.

There can be problems but if Nokia had have really tried to push this they could have made something special. It was miles ahead of anything else I had used at the time for integration.

matrim wrote: »
    Ask anyone with an N900 that question and you'll get a different answer. The N900 phone client has very good integration between GSM, SIP and Skype all through one interface using telepathy.

There can be problems but if Nokia had have really tried to push this they could have made something special. It was miles ahead of anything else I had used at the time for integration.

Never got an n900 basically because I'd played with the previous incarnations. They were great, but for reasons unknown Nokia decided to mess up the development of this line. They were light years ahead of the iPhone before it was released and yet somehow managed to screw it all up. Nokia's tablet OS could have been great. I personally think its too late for a new OS - though I note today Samsung announced they are developing an alternative to Android.

Looks like a weird choice. I thought profit margins were pretty low in TV's. All jokes aside, you'd need beefy enough hardware to run Ubuntu on a TV. Add in a decent ARM processor/board, licensing codecs and getting content sources and the cost of this is going to be fairly expensive.

They might be better off de-emphasising the Ubuntu/Linux component though. If this is going to be a mass market product, then they can't exactly rely on the familiarity of Ubuntu to sell it.

Most embedded systems these days run linux. Not a full blown distro but linux not the less. I think there is still time in the TV market for a good linux distro to establish itself - that said mythTV has been about for years and still hasn't made that much of an impact. Maybe Ubuntu can learn some lessons from that.

More on this from slashdot:

http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/01/12/173244/ubuntu-tablet-os-to-take-on-android-ios?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashdot%29
    "Canonical CEO Jane Silber discusses the Ubuntu maker's ambitions in the mobile market, saying there is plenty of room for a new player in tablets, TVs, and maybe even smartphones. 'There is a real demand for an alternative platform. We believe Ubuntu has all the characteristics that are needed to become that platform,' Silber says, adding that she expects to see Ubuntu on tablets later this year. 'And we think we can do that effectively because of characteristics of Ubuntu as a platform, industry dynamics, and an increased wariness around the walled gardens of Apple and to some extent Google and even Amazon, as they are increasingly in this game as well.' Silber cites openness, open governance, collaboration, and a strong developer ecosystem as key for Ubuntu as a tablet platform, when compared with Android and iOS."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Ubuntu Phone Sells Out During First Flash Sale: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2015/02/96735

Nice one!

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement