Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet flies

Options
  • 28-04-2010 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭

what is the best wet fly to be using in the lakes this time of year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Presumably you are trout fishing? If its stockies or those rainbow things well they are a bit thick and you can fish a variety of things for them.
    If you are lough fishing for wild trout, then at this stage of the season, end of April, there should be a few lake olives emerging and still a few duckfly (dark buzzers) about, but the duckfly hatch has probably petered out a bit now.
    What fly to use depends upon weather conditions at the time you are fishing, if you are in calm water I would use small olive nymph patterns or slim buzzer patterns fished slow and deep, for example gold ribbed hares ear, pheasant tail nymph, buzzer pupa patterns – black, grey or dark olive in colour, a light olive shrimp pattern can work too, all in small sizes say size 12 or 14.
    If traditional style wet fly fishing in a wave the choice is greater and I would go for again something that may well represent what is on the water at this time (olives, buzzer), so ‘winged’ wet flies like Sooty Olive, Connemara black, Firey Brown, Greenwells Glory, Black Pennell, Bibio etc etc all in small size 12 or 14. Also you can try a dabbler on the point. I hope this helps. tight lines ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

For lough brownies don't leave home without a Kate McLaren.

Advertisement