Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computing Students

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Any of you guys having trouble connecting VB to your databases? I'm having troubles with the oracle.dataaccess.dll when compiling. I've downloaded the Oracle SQL Developer and followed the instructions in the doc and have that running.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,754 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Try checking what you are compiling for i.e. target platform x86 or 64

Edit: I presuming your following a similar tutorial

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/hol08/dotnet/getstarted-vb/getstarted_vb_otn.htm

CoderDozer wrote: »
    Try checking what you are compiling for i.e. target platform x86 or 64

Edit: I presuming your following a similar tutorial

http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/hol08/dotnet/getstarted-vb/getstarted_vb_otn.htm

That's a handy doc thanks. I've changed that to x64 as I have a 64bit system. I have VB10 Pro (only 32bit versions). I have Oracle.DataAccess.dll in the C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN folder. It's version 10.2.0.100.

Here's a screenshot also.
    http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/9809/captureou.png

Have you tried deleting the Oracle data access dll in the references and re importing it.

Have you tried deleting the Oracle data access dll in the references and re importing it.

Yep. Think I'll take a break from it and try again tomorrow. Head wrecking ;)

• Advertisement

Hard to diagnose from here but I reckon its the reference to that dll is the problem, when I was working with DB I just yanked a copy of the dll and kept it local and the referenced it for there. BTW are ye working with 10g or 11g Oracle?

Also this is the version info on the ODA i have been using ..

OracleDataAccess.jpg

Hard to diagnose from here but I reckon its the reference to that dll is the problem, when I was working with DB I just yanked a copy of the dll and kept it local and the referenced it for there. BTW are ye working with 10g or 11g Oracle?

Also this is the version info on the ODA i have been using ..

Using Oracle 10g. My dll is in C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN. Is yours similar? My OracleDataAccess.dll is version 10.2.0.100. Would you be able to share that dll with me maybe, 4shared, dropbox, whatever. Greatly appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Connecting to Oracle at home is causing issues for quite a few people I've spoken to including myself :( very frustrating

JFlah wrote: »
    Connecting to Oracle at home is causing issues for quite a few people I've spoken to including myself :( very frustrating

Hopefully it's only the version of that damn .dll file. I've an evening wasted with it!

AntiRip wrote: »
    Hopefully it's only the version of that damn .dll file. I've an evening wasted with it!
    Sick to the teeth of it packing it in now for a while

• Advertisement

Sick to the teeth of it packing it in now for a while

Yeah me too. If I could get it going I'd tear into the project and get as much as I could done before it gets too hectic with other modules. Might actually just work away with the UIs and just connect it at college I suppose.

Using Oracle 10g. My dll is in C:\oraclexe\app\oracle\product\10.2.0\server\BIN. Is yours similar? My OracleDataAccess.dll is version 10.2.0.100. Would you be able to share that dll with me maybe, 4shared, dropbox, whatever. Greatly appreciate the help

PM inbound

Btw the college should be using 11g, the last time I used it anyway.

Also I presume ye are not using source control this year (TFS / Team Foundation Server) which I can only imagine is a balls when working from 1 or more locations. Last year they introduced it to the games group but not the MM SW group which makes zero ****ing sense to me.

PM inbound

Btw the college should be using 11g, the last time I used it anyway.

Also I presume ye are not using source control this year (TFS / Team Foundation Server) which I can only imagine is a balls when working from 1 or more locations. Last year they introduced it to the games group but not the MM SW group which makes zero ****ing sense to me.

Cheers for that ;). No not using source control. Never heard of it yet anyway

It basically keeps a copy of every change you make, so if you make a royal **** up it is simple to revert back to a working version. Its saved my arse on more than one occasion. Dropbox kind of uses a versioning system although I have never tried shoving a VS solution in there.

Exams all passed \o/

Would like to extend a huge thank you to entrepreneurship for helping with my GPA ಠ_ಠ

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Delighted to have passed, most people in our class seemed to have done pretty well.

We,re gone awful quiet lately .... any craic anybody??

We,re gone awful quiet lately .... any craic anybody??

I think the fact we found out who we all are in real life is probably why :)

I think the fact we found out who we all are in real life is probably why :)

you could be onto something !

I was not impressed that there wasn't a physical roll taking at critical nonsense today, an hour that should have been spent on the computing project !

• Advertisement

siblers wrote: »
    I was not impressed that there wasn't a physical roll taking at critical nonsense today, an hour that should have been spent on the computing project !
    The Wednesday is very tough going at it there'll be a revolution yet!

siblers wrote: »

I drew a line at licking coins and waving my hands in the air! :rolleyes:

I will need a course in anger management after this semester!

I drew a line at licking coins and waving my hands in the air! :rolleyes:

wut?

wut?

Yep. To prove a point that there is 2 sides to every story or something. It's seriously baffling that this module is taken seriously by administration.

I can see why it was made mandatory and not just an elective!

P.S As in not many would take it up

Ironically for a module about creative thinking, all its doing is leaving me annoyed and deflated. Today's class was an absolute mockery. One of our classes should be recorded and sent off to the head of department.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

Critical Thinking... we have more than five senses, a ball of paper is technically a paper plane... what next?!
    Trying to argue against these facts is like arguing to a priest that there is no god. There is just no giving in...
    You're classed as a person who doesn't think outside of the box if you can't solve a brain teaser within a few mins...

Any guesses for what next weeks exercises may be? Lick the desk? Stand on our heads? Oh the life of a computer student :confused:

The 5 senses really took the biscuit. How is hunger a sense. It's science for **** sake. If we get asked to do any of the bull**** like we did this week we should do what the third years did and refuse.

C Project 1 is beginning to really irritate me!!! Grrrrrrr

Yeah, thought I was making great progress, showed a SQL query problem with catherine and now have to change around one of my modules. Mighty craic

• Advertisement

Dear god I'm just writing reflective journal ! I' ve basically managed to disagree with every theory put forward so far :):)

Advertisement