Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish or British Passport for oz and visa?

Options
  • 26-02-2012 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I have duel citizenship for Ireland and Britain as my mam is form Belfast and my dad is form Dublin.
    I am wondering if there is any advantage of having a British passport over an Irish one when going to Australia, Canada or other commonwealth countries such as length of time waiting for a visa or visa duration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

From memory, we (Irish Passport Holders) basically have the same rights as UK passport holders for the aforementioned countries. Not sure how feasible it is to "double-dip" ie use your Irish Passport for a working holiday visa followed by the British one.

I would think you'd have to check each countries visa requirements separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Do you mean on holidays or for working?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Bri_Dunne wrote: »
    I have duel citizenship for Ireland and Britain as my mam is form Belfast and my dad is form Dublin.
    I am wondering if there is any advantage of having a British passport over an Irish one when going to Australia, Canada or other commonwealth countries such as length of time waiting for a visa or visa duration?

I'm the same parents are from Louth/S. Armagh and I was born in Newry but lived most of my life in Louth, I have the two passports plus I am a naturalised Australian passport holder as well.

If you are going to Australia on a Brit passport for a year or 4 year sponsorship you can get a Medicare card where as Irish passport holders only have access to emergency reciprocal agreement which as expected is the bargain basement agreement.

(If you are emigrating on a proper permanent visa you get Medicare anyway)

Other than that there is no difference in the processing or waiting times of any type of visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Not sure how feasible it is to "double-dip" ie use your Irish Passport for a working holiday visa followed by the British one.

Advertisement