Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The BIG thread on how to import from Japan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

They do a yearly inspection called Shaken (AFAIK)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor-vehicle_inspection_(Japan)

Anyone with a thought on VRT for a 2003 Lancer Evo GT-A?

ejabrod wrote: »
    Anyone with a thought on VRT for a 2003 Lancer Evo GT-A?

Just in case anyone is interested. The díckheads in Rosslare came back with a valuation of €3,100 for this car.

Absolute joke.

Appeals here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Just in case anyone is interested. The díckheads in Rosslare came back with a valuation of €3,100 for this car.

Absolute joke.

Appeals here I come

Seems about right. How much do you value it at.

Tzardine wrote: »
    Seems about right. How much do you value it at.
    Really? For a 13 year old GT-A, not a GSR, not a GT, not a RS a GT-A? :rolleyes:

In the real world the valuation is approx €800 over. A €2,300 valuation would indicate an OMSP of €8,700+/- for this variant which is about right. Coupled with the fact that 2 years ago the valuation was €1,470, this valuation is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

The valuation 2 years ago is irrelevant. Values go up and down all the time.

There are a number of 2003 evos for sale, of different varieties, at the moment. Based on the market value of these, the vrt looks spot on. They will also look at this on appeal. I don't see them making it much lower if at all.

The valuation 2 years ago is irrelevant. Values go up and down all the time.

There are a number of 2003 evos for sale, of different varieties, at the moment. Based on the market value of these, the vrt looks spot on. They will also look at this on appeal. I don't see them making it much lower if at all.

You clearly understand the Japanese performance car market and in particular this make/model/variant.

The 2003 Evo's that you see on the market are the next iteration and higher spec variants. Like I previously stated the 2003 models are Evo VIII GSR RS and GT variants (GT a lot less common) NOT the VII auto model. They have higher power output, higher spec interior etc. etc. (which on cars 4 years + is not supposed to be taken into account but clearly it does).

In the world of Evo's the GT-A is the least desirable as it is an automatic therefore draws lesser selling values. It is even less desirable than the 260 VIII (another variant which a lot of people cannot distinguish from a GSR)

Also, the price you are referring to on the 2003 is the asking price, not the selling price. I know, as a matter of fact, of 2 that have sold recently (2003 VIII GSR) for €2,000 less than the asking price i.e. the selling price (as in the OMSP : Open Market Selling Price).

Again, I bow to your superior knowledge of this particular market.

Anybody importing from Japan, be prepared to receive an arbitrary price based on nothing more that the mood of the pen pushin overpaid civil servant in revenue.

Cool story bro.

Good luck with the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

You clearly understand the Japanese performance car market and in particular this make/model/variant.

The 2003 Evo's that you see on the market are the next iteration and higher spec variants. Like I previously stated the 2003 models are Evo VIII GSR RS and GT variants (GT a lot less common) NOT the VII auto model. They have higher power output, higher spec interior etc. etc. (which on cars 4 years + is not supposed to be taken into account but clearly it does).

In the world of Evo's the GT-A is the least desirable as it is an automatic therefore draws lesser selling values. It is even less desirable than the 260 VIII (another variant which a lot of people cannot distinguish from a GSR)

Also, the price you are referring to on the 2003 is the asking price, not the selling price. I know, as a matter of fact, of 2 that have sold recently (2003 VIII GSR) for €2,000 less than the asking price i.e. the selling price (as in the OMSP : Open Market Selling Price).

Again, I bow to your superior knowledge of this particular market.

Anybody importing from Japan, be prepared to receive an arbitrary price based on nothing more that the mood of the pen pushin overpaid civil servant in revenue.

YAWN.....

Cool story bro.

Good luck with the appeal.

Good response. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    YAWN.....

Very insightful. Why not go look for some baggy hunting trousers for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Using a valuation from 2 years ago as an appeal wont get you far, I used a valuation from a month prior on the same make/model/spec car before and they wouldn't entertain it, When it comes to any Jap car not on the online system your at their mercy, and its a common occurrence for crazy VRT figures to be issued as in most cases they outsource the query to a third party consultant who will determine what they think the omsp is.

All you can do is appeal your price with solid info backing up that the car's value is less than what Revenue valued it at. Whilst the GTA may not be the most desirable model, I've known revenue to charge extra on an auto car as opposed to manual too, so you need to specify the different makes and models in your claim and why you think yours is worth less. If you can get co2 figures from Mitsubishi for the car which would also put it in a lower bracket then this would also help but from VRT'ing numerous Jap car's myself this year and also lodging an appeal, you really need to make a strong case with figures/proof to back up to be in with a chance of any return from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭vjmcdonnell

How long does the boat take from Japan to Dublin, currently looking at importing an Impreza WRX STI 1996

6 to 8 weeks at present, depending on shipping company and route taken there's 1/3 sailings per month from Japan to Dublin

Wow thanks for the swift reply

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Pops_20

I'm in the process of importing a car from Japan at the moment and have begun to research the VRT rates.

The rate of VRT you pay is a percentage of the open market selling price of the car, but how is this percentage determined?

Revenue have a table of percentage figures based on the CO2 emissions of the car, but this is just for 2008 cars onwards right?

My car is 1995. It's not on the revenue VRT calculator. How is the rate of VRT determined?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Pops_20 wrote: »
    I'm in the process of importing a car from Japan at the moment and have begun to research the VRT rates.

The rate of VRT you pay is a percentage of the open market selling price of the car, but how is this percentage determined?

Revenue have a table of percentage figures based on the CO2 emissions of the car, but this is just for 2008 cars onwards right?

My car is 1995. It's not on the revenue VRT calculator. How is the rate of VRT determined?

I don't know the answer to your question, but please be another Starlet!

I don't know the answer to your question, but please be another Starlet!

Sorry, not this time! I've gone mad and bought a 180sx :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sorry, not this time! I've gone mad and bought a 180sx :o

That's fierce exciting, feel free to drop me PM!

Revenue calculate the omsp by using a magic algorithm of done deal, auto trader, and a third party surveyor

You won't get a vrt price until about a week after you bring the car for inspection at the nct centre. I haven't heard of any 180sx registered lately but the last ps13 I know cost the guy €2200, so Ithat might not be too far off that.

• Advertisement

5500 wrote: »
    Revenue calculate the omsp by using a magic algorithm of done deal, auto trader, and a third party surveyor

You won't get a vrt price until about a week after you bring the car for inspection at the nct centre. I haven't heard of any 180sx registered lately but the last ps13 I know cost the guy €2200, so Ithat might not be too far off that.

Thanks for the reply. So if the car is given an OMSP of €8k, and the VRT rate is a percentage of this, how is the rate determined? I know that for post 2008 cars there is a table of rates based on CO2 emissions, but I don't know about older cars.

Also, what's the best way to get an unregistered import to the NCT centre, if not on the back of a transporter?
    I presume you can't take out insurance on the car if its not yet registered?

Its the same for pre 08 cars with regard to vrt, The rate is defaulted to 36% unless you can prove the emissions to be lower reflecting a lower band. The tax band will reflect the engine size though as opposed to the co2 figure for post 08 cars.

Some companies will insure you on the chassis number or Japanese reg but other than that it's a transporter

I am having a issue trying to contact Titan Autoworks. emails bounce back and cant find Tom on Skype

Is it just me?
    Any other recommendations that people have used.

Got though to them on fb, am I right in assuming that the 1,000 euro deposit is the agent fees. For paperwork and transferring the car from action to the boat.
    Just want to be sure I have my figures correct

Not sure how Tom work's but just make sure you have a breakdown in advance so you know your full costs more or less and that your not going in blind so to speak. The deposit is most likely just incase you buy a car and then decide you dont want it and he has to re-auction it, his own fee is likely to be separate.

My car should be landing in Dublin within the next week or two - just a quick question with regard to booking the VRT inspection.

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to get an appointment? Or are there specific days of the week that the NCT centre will do VRT inspections.

For instance, if I wait until the car lands, will I get a VRT appointment within the 30 days, or should I be booking it now.

My car should be landing in Dublin within the next week or two - just a quick question with regard to booking the VRT inspection.

Does anyone have any experience with how long it takes to get an appointment? Or are there specific days of the week that the NCT centre will do VRT inspections.

For instance, if I wait until the car lands, will I get a VRT appointment within the 30 days, or should I be booking it now.

Brought a car in from the UK in Oct and all I had to do was book an appointment on the NCT website, it gave me a numbers of dates available.

Brought a car in from the UK in Oct and all I had to do was book an appointment on the NCT website, it gave me a numbers of dates available.

Thanks for the reply. How long does it take? Do they just give the car a quick inspection outside the centre?
    Anything in particular that they check?

Thanks for the reply. How long does it take? Do they just give the car a quick inspection outside the centre?
    Anything in particular that they check?

They gave it a quick look over, checked the Vin number. The inspection was quick but waiting on paperwork to be done, was about 45 mins all in from what I remember. Was a bit of waiting to be called though. Guess 20-25 mins

• Advertisement

With regard to the VRT inspection, once you go for the inspection and provide all the relevant documents, how long does it take Revenue to come back to you with a VRT price and registration number?

Do you get the registration number that day and then pay the VRT, or do you have to pay the VRT first and then get the reg number?

Advertisement