Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Education in Ireland 11th best in world

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

jasonmcco wrote: »
    Hate to question your wisdom but my son has 2hrs 40 minutes of religious studies as opposed to 2 hrs of science per week for his junior cert and science has 3 major fields of study(physics,biology and chemistry).

Also spends 2hrs 40 minutes in Irish class the same as he spends on maths.

We need to wake up coz we are falling behind and failing our children.

Parents are the ones responsible for this nobody else and need to give up some of their precious time and force government to remedy what is a farcial situation.

So with anecdotal evidence in hand you're just going to dismiss the study the OP referenced?

LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭jasonmcco

Nonsense. We'd still be tested on other stuff.all your posts are misinformed cant.

http://www.gotocollege.ie/Reading_maths_skills_of_Irish_students_show_alarming_fall.html

Read it and weep or do you require it be posted as gaeilge before you give it due consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

karma_ wrote: »
    So with anecdotal evidence in hand you're just going to dismiss the study the OP referenced?

LOL.

Well he has a point. We do give to much time to teaching religion to kids as oppossed to science.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

Who the fcuk gets tested on religion? It not even an examination subject here

Although you definitely should not have to take religion if you don't want to

LOL.

Finding it difficul to see where i dismissed study and maybe that says something about the level reached by you in reading.

Said we could improve if we didn't waste time on guttural irish and study of supernatural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

As long as Irish & Religious studies are retained as core subjects . . . . .

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well he has a point. We do give to much time to teaching religion to kids as oppossed to science.

I would love nothing more to see religion ditched from all schools, but he's saying that Ireland is falling behind because of that, when the evidence actually says otherwise. He really doesn't have a point at all.

parc wrote: »
    Who the fcuk gets tested on religion? It not even an examination subject here

Although you definitely should not have to take religion if you don't want to

Religion is an exam subject here in both junior and leaving cert.
    Don't speak when ill informed please.

Finding it difficul to see where i dismissed study and maybe that says something about the level reached by you in reading.

Said we could improve if we didn't waste time on guttural irish and study of supernatural.

So you didn't say Ireland was falling behind and failing it's children?

au contraire -
    We need to wake up coz we are falling behind and failing our children.

Maybe Irish should be dropped as a core/mandatory subject?

I mean what puropse does it practically serve to the vast bulk of the Irish population?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

suomi wrote: »
    They do actually. If a kid is considered smarter than the average, they can skip a year.

Good. I hated those bloody swots in school. I was so happy I never got to see them again after my junior cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

http://www.gotocollege.ie/Reading_maths_skills_of_Irish_students_show_alarming_fall.html

Read it and weep or do you require it be posted as gaeilge before you give it due consideration.

That's the second time you posted that report. I explained quite simply why we "dropped" ( in percentage terms we didn't). more countries were added including the 5 non European countries ahead of us and all European countries below us.

But that's not the latest report. The latest report is the one under discussion. Where we beat France, Italy, Spain, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Croatia, the US, (etc.) all of South America and so on.

Where did you get that balls?

We don't even examine religion in Ireland. These tests would hardly test Ireland in religion and then give all the other countries zero. As far as I know the tests are reading, maths and science.

Please read.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Globally speaking, Irish really isn't any more of a waste of time than German (in an Irish school) or English (in an Italian school) based on how much is learned and how much it's used. The actual teaching of it is atrocious, admittedly, but the same goes for the way second languages are taught in most countries. The Nordics and Dutch don't count, so as not to completely invalidate my point.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭parc

Religion is an exam subject here in both junior and leaving cert.
    Don't speak when ill informed please.

Em...well I did the leaving cert and I certainly didn't do an exam in religion. Therefore it's not a core examination subject unless that has changed in the last 8 years which I doubt

Anyone who takes it would surely have it discounted by Unis/Employers like General Studies A-level is in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I hated the Leaving Cert. The two English exams in higher English were ridiculous. Two 3 hour exams I think they were and you'd come out with a sore wrist.

If someone can't tell how good you are at English by writing something for an hour, they may as well give up.

I responded to that report 2 TIMES. Reply again with this cherry picking bollocks and I report you as a troll.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Maybe Irish should be dropped as a core/mandatory subject?

I mean what puropse does it practically serve to the vast bulk of the Irish population?

Not one to miss an opportunity heh?

So you didn't say Ireland was falling behind and failing it's children?

au contraire -

Yes i did

I did and i think they are when it's obvious from studies that our education system is in decline and we are still wasting time on guttural irish and supernatural studies.

Maybe we should include alchemy and psychic studies to curriculum.

I would love nothing more to see religion ditched from all schools, but he's saying that Ireland is falling behind because of that, when the evidence actually says otherwise. He really doesn't have a point at all.

We wont have evidence unless we set up a study using two or more groups, one studying religion and one not studying religion. At the moment we cant be sure that we're suffering from the teaching of religion but I cant see the benifit of it.

• Advertisement

Yes i did

I did and i think they are when it's obvious from studies that our education system is in decline and we are still wasting time on guttural irish and supernatural studies.

Perhaps you're selectively blind as you appear to have missed a few posts that deal with that, how many times you going to link the same thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭elefant

I found studying religion for the Junior Cert quite fascinating. It wasn't as if the class was used to foist a religion upon us; rather it was a good opportunity to learn about different cultures and their beliefs.

I responded to that report 2 TIMES. Reply again with this cherry picking bollocks and I report you as a troll.

Ireland's educational image took a hammering in the Performance International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009, a three-yearly global league table from the international think-tank, the OECD.

Hardly cherry picking my ill informed friend.

Stick to the issues and less of the threats or i will report you as a bollox.

Yes i did

Our education system is 5th in Europe. I don't know where you were "educated" but you don't get to have your own facts.

I already explained that the report you linked to is.

1) out of date and superseded by this most recent report, and
    2) mathematically suspect. 36 new countries were added to PISA between 2006 and 2009. We dropped less than 36 places ( more commonly 5-10). Meaning we stayed in the same, or higher percentile.

Ireland's educational image took a hammering in the Performance International Student Assessment (PISA) 2009, a three-yearly global league table from the international think-tank, the OECD.

Hardly cherry picking my ill informed friend.

Stick to the issues and less of the threats or i will report you as a bollox.

As anybody else can see I have explained that fall 3 times in this thread. I have also pointed out that that is not the report under discussion, which is newer.

Not one to miss an opportunity heh?

Never miss that one Karma, my kids will have to do Irish, but for what purpose? homework should be fun (not).

Nothing against the Irish language myself, but its the compulsory nature of its teachng (4 all kids) that really annoys me.

Perhaps you're selectively blind as you appear to have missed a few posts that deal with that, how many times you going to link the same thing?

Maybe i have missed some posts but that doesn't change the findings of the study.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Never miss that one Karma, my kids will have to do Irish, but for what purpose? homework should be fun (not).

Nothing against the Irish language myself, but its the compulsory nature of its teachng (4 all kids) that really annoys me.

No offense LordSutch but move. It's the native langauge here so there has to be measures to increase it's usage.

Oh I know I know, ahhhhhhh ....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭CdeC

Irish system is severly flawed, mainly as there is not enough incentives for teachers to do their job properly and also for bad ones to be let go.

My Irish teacher did not teach us once in 5 years in seondary school and no matter how many times people complained he still shuffled his fat arse into the classroom year after year. He hated teaching and all he talked about (in English) was his plans for summer and hit us when we weren't listening. He was a waste of time and a terrible teacher.

We have a very educated workforce and the government should be pumping money into developing our "knowledge economy" as it's the only thing we'll have to attract investment.

Also the curriclum should be changes to teach more anlytical and problem solving skills. Also some independent decision making and critical thinking might be useful. The LC is mostly a memory test in a lot of subjects.

Advertisement