Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The surname

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I don't buy this, we're not talking about gay marriage or civil rights here! I think people who are arguing for using the mothers surname are thinking of their own interests and not the best interests of the child.

Your assertion would be interesting if you backed it up with facts and reasoning rather than just just a bare I think.

Why should giving the child the mother's surname not be in the best interests of the child? That doesn't make an iota of sense. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Not so great for the women though is it! Would you like to change your name?

TBH I wouldnt mind changing my name, if I was really in love with the person, I feel it's just joining them - becoming a partnership.

I know alot of women dont want to change their name though - either they like their name, or they dont want to change it for professional reasons. Everyone should have a choice and no pressure.
    Women dont need to change their name. A child can be given their father's name without their mother changing theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

We cant be goin around with everybody having two surnames.

Especially if the names were really similar to begin with:
    • John Byrne-Beirne
    • Mary Smith-Smyth
    • Peter Maloney-Malone

:pac:
    This would be ridiculous a few generations down the line.

Jane Staunton-Smith and John Jackson-Murphy would have Jill Jackson-Murphy-Staunton-Smith, for example (and that's just one generation on).
    Why would you do that?

Simple. Pick one name of each for the child: e.g Jill Jackson - Smith

If you're going to drop it one generation later, it seems strange to insist on having a double-barrel surname at all? Plus, your children will have a different name to either of their parents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

danslevent wrote: »
    Why do children take the male's surname? Friends and I have discussed this and it seems more prehistorical conceptions that children take the fathers second name.

It is certainly not prehistoric. Surnames only began to be used in the Middle Ages. Marriage was a business arrangement and was designed to preserve property within a family. Until 1882 married women had restricted property rights. A woman on marriage was deemed to have joined the husbands family and his property belonged to him. The children were of course part of his family and naturally rook his family name.
    There is no law about surnames and a child can be given any surname the parents want and a person can change their surname, at any time, if they are minded to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭weemcd

If the parents aren't married the child takes the mothers name. If they're married, fathers name. Anything else is just gobshítes

and doubled barrelled surnames belong in the stone ages

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Your assertion would be interesting if you backed it up with facts and reasoning rather than just just a bare I think.

Why should giving the child the mother's surname not be in the best interests of the child? That doesn't make an iota of sense. :confused:

Because the fact is kids have to deal with other kids. While we might like to pretend that it's possible for every child to be a total individual and not suffer because of it, this simply isn't true. And while I agree the only way to make progress is to make changes I don't see how this one is important enough that it should cause any child anywhere even one second of self-consciousness or hurt.

The reason I say the people arguing for this are arguing for their own interests is simply down to the fact that I don't see any children who are unhappy with the way things are done right now.

Kids like to see their father as masculine hero, granted young boys more so. All I'm trying to say is as a kid I wouldn't have liked to have to explain to this situation to other children my age. I truly don't see the harm in leaving well enough alone in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

I think giving the child a double barrelled name consisting of each parents name is futile. Anybody I have ever known with a double barreled name never used it, it only existed on official forms.

In everyday life they used only their fathers surname, and if they ever had to fill out forms or sign their name they used that one surname. By the time they were adults the second part had basicaly been fully dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Because the fact is kids have to deal with other kids. While we might like to pretend that it's possible for every child to be a total individual and not suffer because of it, this simply isn't true. And while I agree the only way to make progress is to make changes I don't see how this one is important enough that it should cause any child anywhere even one second of self-consciousness or hurt.

The reason I say the people arguing for this are arguing for their own interests is simply down to the fact that I don't see any children who are unhappy with the way things are done right now.

Kids like to see their father as masculine hero, granted young boys more so. All I'm trying to say is as a kid I wouldn't have liked to have to explain to this situation to other children my age. I truly don't see the harm in leaving well enough alone in this case

I really don't think the others kids would notice or care that a child has their mother's surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Best thing to do (IMHO) is for a new husband and wife to select a new surname.

Hyphenating the names is a pain and causes all sorts of problems for the kids in the future. The name is long, difficult to say, hypens aren't supported in all sorts of situations, etc, etc....

Using either the husband's or wife's name means ignoring the others name.

A new surname for both seems the best. At the very least it's equal. Neither person gets to keep their name and there is no debate over which name appears before the -. And it represents the start of something new, it shows a loyalty to each other that is more important that the family ties you used to have.

When my wife and I got married I was all for us just picking out a new last name.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭optimistic_

It's hopeless.
    I give up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Just out of interest because it never effects you: how would men on here feel about changing their name to another's?

Women dont need to change their name. A child can be given their father's name without their mother changing theirs.

Yes but you said it's great that name is passed from Y chomosome down to Y chromosome. Women don't have this: X chromosome down to X chromosome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Just out of interest because it never effects you: how would men on here feel about changing their name to another's?

Fúck that!

I ain't being Gummy O'Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Would have no problem with my wife not choosing to take my name if it came up, but the idea of doing it the other way does seem strange. I think though that's a lot because it's socially unusual at the moment if it were done — If a man takes his wife's name, he's doing it as a statement.

If it was the 'traditionally done thing' (vice versa), I'd say I wouldn't have a problem with kids taking her name, but possibly would still keep my own. Hard to say though! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭EdanHewittt

Thumbs up if you stalked OP's profile to see if this was a man or woman talking.

Yes but you said it's great that name is passed from Y chomosome down to Y chromosome. Women don't have this: X chromosome down to X chromosome.
    That's because the same traceability doesn't apply with the X chromosone.
    A male has one X chromosone and one Y chromosone. A female has two X chromosones.
    So the X chromosone a woman passes to her child (of either sex) could have come from either her mother or father. The Y chromosone a man passes to his son is always from the man's own father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

I refuse to take my husband's name, and our baby has both last names, mine first.
    I don't see the issue with double surnames, and when she grows up she can do as she pleases. I am very proud of my family name, it's got history and it's almost unique and I'm not going to just abandon it just because I chose a partner.

In my opinion, take one or the other. Just don't double it, it sounds ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Sorcha16

The Y chromosone a man passes to his son is always from the man's own father.

So what? A person is still composed of two sets of genes from both parents.
    How is the father's DNA and name somehow more worthy of being celebrated simply because of some scientific pattern? You'd swear it was something they came up with themselves the way you talk about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Double Barrel Names = Unstable/Unmarried.

Fathers have little to no rights and now there is arguing about the surname? What next? Will disgruntled women demand that we find a way to remove our DNA from "their children"?

My wife and I had our first born before we got married and my surname was given. He wasn't given my first name, as I think that's just a bit egotistical imo. Double barrel names are like a stamp on a child to say that their mammy and daddy are either, unmarried, uncommitted, or broken up. If the father runs away before the birth, then the mothers surname is only rightly given to the child, but otherwise it should be default daddy name.

Men and women have enough to argue about.

• Advertisement

Sorcha16 wrote: »
    So what? A person is still composed of two sets of genes from both parents.
    How is the father's DNA and name somehow more worthy of being celebrated simply because of some scientific pattern? You'd swear it was something they came up with themselves the way you talk about it
    Nothing to do with celebration or worthiness. I've already explained why it makes sense. You'd be more likely to understand if you thought about it rationally instead of assuming some sort of sexism where there is none.

A guy has the same Y chromosone as his great great great great great great great great great great (....) great great grandfather who had the same surname (if every generation named the child after the father and no names were changed).
    The equivalent wouldn't be true if you gave children their mother's names.

I completely get why women dont necessarily want to change their names to their partners'. Your name is a core part of your identity. Demanding children take their names without thinking about why it is preferable the other way around is just irrational though.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

its just bloody tradition. there's no secret agenda against women. men dont plot these things, and women arent at a
    disadvantage if they choose (yes there's a choice) their partners name. its just a way of showing you're both integrating your families together.

whats the next cry for womens rights? that they're forced to wear white dresses at weddings?

i suppose that its a good thing that women have to clutch at straws to try and show they're discriminated against. it shows we are truly equal.

geetar wrote: »
    its just bloody tradition. there's no secret agenda against women. men dont plot these things, and women arent at a
    disadvantage if they choose (yes there's a choice) their partners name. its just a way of showing you're both integrating your families together.

whats the next cry for womens rights? that they're forced to wear white dresses at weddings?

i suppose that its a good thing that women have to clutch at straws to try and show they're discriminated against. it shows we are truly equal.

But as they say: there's nothing as dangerous as tradition. Tradition is just things being blindly done for centuries without question, because it's the done thing.

We're not saying we're being discriminated against, just that absolutely everybody should have a choice and both should decide on children's name. I think until the 90's it was unheard of for a married woman to keep her own name.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

lounakin wrote: »
    I refuse to take my husband's name, and our baby has both last names, mine first.
    I don't see the issue with double surnames, and when she grows up she can do as she pleases. I am very proud of my family name, it's got history and it's almost unique and I'm not going to just abandon it just because I chose a partner.

Completely agree, I had a quadruple barrel surname and my wife had a quadruple barrel surname. We refused to choose which quadruple barrel surname to give our son, so he now has an octuple barrel surname. I don't see the issue with it and neither does young Jack Smith-Walton-Grant-Pepperpot-Fowler-Dunne-Blanc-Cooper-Santos. When he grows up he can do as he wishes.

My wife is proud of her quadruple barrel name, it has history and she isn't going to abandon it.

Nothing to do with celebration or worthiness. I've already explained why it makes sense. You'd be more likely to understand if you thought about it rationally instead of assuming some sort of sexism where there is none.Demanding children take their names without thinking about why it is preferable the other way around is just irrational though.

No, you've explained why you think it makes sense -I think it's a bullsh1t, boys club archaic attitude to think it's "preferable" to take a man's surname based solely on some chromosomal crap.

I'm all for upholding tradition and would be most happy to give my future children their father's name but to claim that it would somehow be "irrational" not to is just absurd and speaks volumes about the antiquated, fossilised views you hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

lounakin wrote: »

I have done the very same, though we are not married. There is no way the kids were going to just have their Dad's surname. I love my surname, and doubt I would have given it up if we'd ever married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭Whatsernamex33

If and only if I ever have children, they'll take my husband's name. I'd probably keep my own. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,316 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nothing to do with celebration or worthiness. I've already explained why it makes sense. You'd be more likely to understand if you thought about it rationally instead of assuming some sort of sexism where there is none.

Of course, until very recently there were no DNA tests, not long before that there was no effective birth control. The only line that you can be sure of is the maternal one. A mixing bowl as far as the genes are concerned, but the only really solid line on a family tree.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

Sorcha16 wrote: »

No, you've explained why you think it makes sense -I think it's a bullsh1t, boys club archaic attitude to think it's "preferable" to take a man's surname based solely on some chromosomal crap.

I'm all for upholding tradition and would be most happy to give my future children their father's name but to claim that it would somehow be "irrational" not to is just absurd and speaks volumes about the antiquated, fossilised views you hold.

Why does it matter how new or old an opinion is?

Surely the quality of opinion is all that matters.

• Advertisement

Gauss wrote: »
    Why does it matter how new or old an opinion is?
    Surely the quality of opinion is all that matters.

Taking a man's surname is preferable
    Taking a woman's surname is irrational

There is no quality to that opinion -old, new or otherwise

Advertisement