Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Irish people appear thick and ignorant the more you travel?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

hinault wrote: »
    France, Germany, Spain, Portugal, UAE, USA, Canada...........need I list ever single country that I've visited?

As you can see from my first post in this thread I agree with you but there are some countries there with alcohol problems as bad as Ireland, its not fair to say we're the only ones.

Spain has a massive alcohol problem. Drinking in the streets is legal there. Some of the stuff you'd see in Barcelona and Madrid would rival Dublin.

The US is a funny one because binge drinking there varies hugely by state. North Dakota, Minnesota, Rhode Island etc all have drinking problems as great as Ireland while states such as Tennesse and Mississippi have whole counties where alcohol can't even be bought.

And as for thick and ignorant-the UAE isn't exactly known for being enlightened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

I've been living with foreign people for 10 years now and all of them say similar about their own countries. Might not be complains about drinking too much but other stuff. No big deal - asses everywhere and generally the least accepting ones are the ones who return home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

I'm not proud to be Irish
    By all means disavow your nation and go to whatever country is desperate enough to have you. We have no need for you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ed Staunton

Well I have not travelled that much but I think it's very clear Irish culture nowadays is about being thick ignorant and aggressive in order to get your way instead of getting an education or bothering to not be scummy about trying to con people. I used to be really proud to be Irish, but when you see the behaviour of Irish people when it comes to money, scumbag nation. They walk around heads in the air like they are the chosen people while shopping in ****ing Aldi like!!! All the great Irish people have emmigrated. Our once great culture has been ruined by greedy gob****es who walk around with stupid grins on their faces like they know something the rest of us don't. Bunch of arseholes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Well I have not travelled that much but I think it's very clear Irish culture nowadays is about being thick ignorant and aggressive in order to get your way instead of getting an education or bothering to not be scummy about trying to con people. I used to be really proud to be Irish, but when you see the behaviour of Irish people when it comes to money, scumbag nation. They walk around heads in the air like they are the chosen people while shopping in ****ing Aldi like!!! All the great Irish people have emmigrated. Our once great culture has been ruined by greedy gob****es who walk around with stupid grins on their faces like they know something the rest of us don't. Bunch of arseholes

Holy Zombie Jesus thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭billybudd

Whats wrong with aldi? fresh made pasta for 80cents, unreal value.

We have been shown up for what we really are by the boom and the E.U, we chose greed over culture and we will pay a heavy price for that, scumbags tend to have scumbag kids, we are well due a cull to get rid of these kinds of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

OK, I'll try and answer this one rationally.......[Deep breath]

There are certain traits and characteristics about Ireland that you can't really see clearly until you have spent some time abroad and compared to other nations. When you are living here day in day out, you simply take these things as normal-You have become totally conditioned by your surroundings, and would probably violently disagree or dismiss any outsiders view of your 'grand' little country.

Having spent a number of years abroad amongst other cultures and then returning to Ireland, certain things stand out immediately. The following is an impartial list; it is not a point scoring exercise, or trying to take a sly dig at anyone.

It is important to note that you will find the following in every country, but they appear to be much more prevalent and noticeable in Ireland.

1. Binge Drinking-We have a serious, serious problem with binge drinking in this country. Getting absolutely hammered to the point of passing out is not considered even remotely unusual in Ireland.

2. Public urination-Whenever I am outside a nightclub or pub in the early hours and see this, it is not hard for me to realise that tourists are going to see this and think that there is a streak of a savage in the Irish population. This is really something that the Gardai should crack down on-we should be trying to eliminate this repugnant Neanderthal trait.

3.Bad language-Again, extremely common. This is something that really makes me cringe, especially when in Irish company abroad. There really is nothing more embarrassing than having your table asking to cut out the gutter mouth-the Irish are just so used to it now that they don't even realise how bad they are at it.

4. Troublemaking on public transport-For some reason, gurriers are tolerated on public transport in this country. Try getting on the Luas without witnessing some Anto or junkie hassling the average commuter. People seem to accept this as just an everyday occurance. It really shouldn't have to be like this.

I am now at the stage where I prefer to avoid a certain type of Irish citizen when travelling. I don't mind if they are a 'professional'-the kind who know when to draw the line at certain behaviour. Most people, to be fair, 'get it'. They just know how to behave themselves and how to represent the country.

But it has to be said that there is large vocal minority of Irish citizens who are an absolute embarrassment to the Irish-They seem to see things like vomiting, fighting and breaking things as a badge of honour-and they just have to let everyone know they are Irish, since 'the Irish are loved everywhere'. Result?-Bad reputation for all Irish.

The Mecca of this specimen is Bondi Junction, Sydney. This was the only place I can say I was genuinely ashamed to be Irish. They seemed to behave more like the British football hooligans than anything else. It's hard to explain unless you have been there and seen it for yourself, but once you have, you'll know exactly what I mean.

So in summary, those would be the type of people that appear thick and ignorant after travelling. Before, I wouldn't have had much of a beef with ignorant or unmannered people in this country. Now, I find myself extremely intolerant of them. And I don't think that's a bad thing, tbh.

EDIT: Don't re-quote this msge please, just say HB. It's too long to be re-quoting.

ok

We have been shown up for what we really are by the boom and the E.U, we chose greed over culture and we will pay a heavy price for that, scumbags tend to have scumbag kids, we are well due a cull to get rid of these kinds of people.

Not me, im not greedy, i love culture and also give to culture in what i do and also i have a child and he will be taught whats important in life, respect, manners etc etc and whats more i know alot of people like me, out of a population of four million the minority are scummy and the minority are greedy and the minority do not dictate.

billybudd wrote: »
    Whats wrong with aldi? fresh made pasta for 80cents, unreal value.

Aldi is cheap cos most of it is ****e, and if you don't know that then there is little point telling you any different. It's the attitude of Irish people nowadays I have a problem with not Aldi, i suppose there's no point arguing with you when you can't read properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

There are certain traits and characteristics about Ireland that you can't really see clearly until you have spent some time abroad and compared to other nations. When you are living here day in day out, you simply take these things as normal-You have become totally conditioned by your surroundings, and would probably violently disagree or dismiss any outsiders view of your 'grand' little country.

Having spent a number of years abroad amongst other cultures and then returning to Ireland, certain things stand out immediately. The following is an impartial list; it is not a point scoring exercise, or trying to take a sly dig at anyone.

It is important to note that you will find the following in every country, but they appear to be much more prevalent and noticeable in Ireland.

1. Binge Drinking-We have a serious, serious problem with binge drinking in this country. Getting absolutely hammered to the point of passing out is not considered even remotely unusual in Ireland.

2. Public urination-Whenever I am outside a nightclub or pub in the early hours and see this, it is not hard for me to realise that tourists are going to see this and think that there is a streak of a savage in the Irish population. This is really something that the Gardai should crack down on-we should be trying to eliminate this repugnant Neanderthal trait.

3.Bad language-Again, extremely common. This is something that really makes me cringe, especially when in Irish company abroad. There really is nothing more embarrassing than having your table asking to cut out the gutter mouth-the Irish are just so used to it now that they don't even realise how bad they are at it.

4. Troublemaking on public transport-For some reason, gurriers are tolerated on public transport in this country. Try getting on the Luas without witnessing some Anto or junkie hassling the average commuter. People seem to accept this as just an everyday occurance. It really shouldn't have to be like this.

I am now at the stage where I prefer to avoid a certain type of Irish citizen when travelling. I don't mind if they are a 'professional'-the kind who know when to draw the line at certain behaviour. Most people, to be fair, 'get it'. They just know how to behave themselves and how to represent the country.

But it has to be said that there is large vocal minority of Irish citizens who are an absolute embarrassment to the Irish-They seem to see things like vomiting, fighting and breaking things as a badge of honour-and they just have to let everyone know they are Irish, since 'the Irish are loved everywhere'. Result?-Bad reputation for all Irish.

The Mecca of this specimen is Bondi Junction, Sydney. This was the only place I can say I was genuinely ashamed to be Irish. They seemed to behave more like the British football hooligans than anything else. It's hard to explain unless you have been there and seen it for yourself, but once you have, you'll know exactly what I mean.

So in summary, those would be the type of people that appear thick and ignorant after travelling. Before, I wouldn't have had much of a beef with ignorant or unmannered people in this country. Now, I find myself extremely intolerant of them. And I don't think that's a bad thing, tbh.

EDIT: Don't re-quote this msge please, just say HB. It's too long to be re-quoting.

HB. did i do it right?

ah tits.

Not me, im not greedy, i love culture and also give to culture in what i do and also i have a child and he will be taught whats important in life, respect, manners etc etc and whats more i know alot of people like me, out of a population of four million the minority are scummy and the minority are greedy and the minority do not dictate.

i don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, the minority in this country sold your rights as an Irish person for about €90 billion and left a bunch of rude idiots who think they are wealthy urban sophisticates who look down on actually cultured people who would not sell out on their values, even to buy 80c pasta in a ****hole like Aldi.

Aldi is cheap cos most of it is ****e, and if you don't know that then there is little point telling you any different. It's the attitude of Irish people nowadays I have a problem with not Aldi, i suppose there's no point arguing with you when you can't read properly.

Yes like i should argue with someone who says Irish people as opposed to some Irish people.

Like any retail chain, some things will be **** and some will be good, great and excellent.

HB. did i do it right?

ah tits.

you can't educate through the internet that's for sure, some idiot will just come out with some long winded garbage like some of the above to spoil the thread, that's why Irish people are idiots, incapable of rational intelligent conversation and oblivious to reality outside of boards.ie

i don't think you have a clue what you are talking about, the minority in this country sold your rights as an Irish person for about €90 billion and left a bunch of rude idiots who think they are wealthy urban sophisticates who look down on actually cultured people who would not sell out on their values, even to buy 80c pasta in a ****hole like Aldi.

My rights are fine, i am free to leave if i dont agree with what is happening, the minority sold our rights? who elected this minority? the majority? and where should i shop? a good Irish shop like Dunnes who have a distasteful way of dealing with suppliers if rumour is true or maybe superquinn? ok i shop in superquinn too, like their sausages and bread.

Yes like i should argue with someone who says Irish people as opposed to some Irish people.

Like any retail chain, some things will be **** and some will be good, great and excellent.

The majority of Irish people are poorly educated, have no understanding of their own culture and would rather shop in Aldi then understand the courage honour and integrity that defined this country in the past! I mean your singing the praises of Aldi on a thread about are Irish people thick and ignorant seeming when you have travelled a bit! can you not see how dumb that is?

Ironic seeing as you are being aggressive and rude.

The majority of Irish people are poorly educated, have no understanding of their own culture and would rather shop in Aldi then understand the courage honour and integrity that defined this country in the past! I mean your singing the praises of Aldi on a thread about are Irish people thick and ignorant seeming when you have travelled a bit! can you not see how dumb that is?

Is this the Aldi that out of all major retail shops sell the most Irish produced produce?

Also i would love nothing better than to see big vibrant Irish farmer markets in every major town and city in Ireland and open six days per week and i also on a frequent basis badger my local TD's why this isnt a possibilty in the old fish market in smithfield.

My rights are fine, i am free to leave if i dont agree with what is happening, the minority sold our rights? who elected this minority? the majority? and where should i shop? a good Irish shop like Dunnes who have a distasteful way of dealing with suppliers if rumour is true or maybe superquinn? ok i shop in superquinn too, like their sausages and bread.

you should shop wherever the hell you want, this is about Irish people seeming to be thick and ignorant to those who have travelled, not Aldi and Dunnes. In your last post you said the minorty don't dictate, now you are saying the minority did dictate our fate in the boom ergo, the majority of Irish people are thick and elect scumbags who sold my country to developers and banks for €90 billion, but again that is not the issue, my experience of Irish people is that they will try and con you at every turn (try buying something on adverts.ie, or they will just ignore you altogether if you don't have the same lack of culture that they do. They think being posh and having class means buying 80c pasta in Aldi for feck sake lol.

Is this the Aldi that out of all major retail shops sell the most Irish produced produce?

Also i would love nothing better than to see big vibrant Irish farmer markets in every major town and city in Ireland and open six days per week and i also on a frequent basis badger my local TD's why this isnt a possibilty in the old fish market in smithfield.

No this is the Aldi that sells utter ****e, again Aldi is not the issue here!! it's its customers who shop there who seem to think they are highly sophisticated and intelligent people but are shopping somewhere that sells sausages with 27% pork in them. Basically what I'm trying to say to you is that irish people are uncultured and completely consumer driven, their culture is buying crap in Aldi nowadays then talking about it.

• Advertisement

you should shop wherever the hell you want, this is about Irish people seeming to be thick and ignorant to those who have travelled, not Aldi and Dunnes. In your last post you said the minorty don't dictate, now you are saying the minority did dictate our fate in the boom ergo, the majority of Irish people are thick and elect scumbags who sold my country to developers and banks for €90 billion, but again that is not the issue, my experience of Irish people is that they will try and con you at every turn (try buying something on adverts.ie, or they will just ignore you altogether if you don't have the same lack of culture that they do. They think being posh and having class means buying 80c pasta in Aldi for feck sake lol.

I am not posh.

The minority where elected by the majority, so yes the majority in effect made that decision.

I have traveled alot and most people have the same ideals, problems, reasons, etc etc etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Then leave ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

I remember asking an Irish lad I met in India how long he was planning to stay in India. He replied "till I find myself". What a ****ing knob jockey I thought.

I remember a staying in a hostel in Sydney where I had to get up early for work but the Irish that were staying there made it impossible to get a decent sleep cos they were partying all the time.

I'm 50/50 on this debate. I really missed Ireland after 3 years and was glad when I came home. No place like home and all that. You can build yourself up to be Billy Big Bollocks and after a couple of pints back home you get brought back to earth and I love that.

The drinking culture or the Irish (myself included in this at times) blew most other nationalities out of the water. The Irish never had a stop button. Really drunk Irish people abroad are as bad as the Brits abroad.

Ironic seeing as you are being aggressive and rude.

I am being blunt and honest, but that's come to be a typical reply that signifys when an Irish person can't tell the difference. Enjoy your 80c pasta instead of having a culture.

No this is the Aldi that sells utter ****e, again Aldi is not the issue here!! it's its customers who shop there who seem to think they are highly sophisticated and intelligent people but are shopping somewhere that sells sausages with 27% pork in them. Basically what I'm trying to say to you is that irish people are uncultured and completely consumer driven, their culture is buying crap in Aldi nowadays then talking about it.

I buy first rare breed pork sausages from a farm in meath, i buy some in superquinn too if the farmer cant supply them, somethings in aldi are good some are crap dont see very many D&G handbags in there, in fact the minority are Irish shoppers and the majority would be people from other countries as far as i can tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I lived in Belgium -- all of the above applies there too, especially the public urination! They even have a statue of public urination in Brussels they're so proud of it! Whole place wreaks of urine though in the central metro stations etc etc..

I don't think the binge-drinking thing is unique to Ireland. It's pretty bad in Ireland, but it's similar in most of England and Northern Europe in my experience anyway.

As for bad language, Europeans in general curse and swear a lot more than puritanical Americans tend to.

If you've ever listened to a French person speaking, or a Spaniard, every second word is swearing :D

French sounds all polite and nice until you actually understand what's being said! It's littered with swearing most of the time. Spanish is even rougher.

Same in England too, particularly outside of polite company.

Even New England's pretty fond of the F-word.

[/B]

I am not posh.

The minority where elected by the majority, so yes the majority in effect made that decision.

I have traveled alot and most people have the same ideals, problems, reasons, etc etc etc.

I never said you were posh! I was talking about people who think they are but have no concept of culture or value or substance whatsoever, they are just drones buying 80c pasta week in week out who think they are sophisticated for wearing Gucci sunglasses!

I am being blunt and honest, but that's come to be a typical reply that signifys when an Irish person can't tell the difference. Enjoy your 80c pasta instead of having a culture.

No i can see quite clearly and a person with true ideals regarding culture needs no social standing or lavish bank account. you are being agressive and rude because you cannot articulate your arguement in a clear and precise manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Why are you obsessed with Aldi? Did someone there touch you inappropriately?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭SPQRI

slum dog wrote: »
    Do Irish people appear thick and ignorant the more you travel?

You don't have to travel too far to answer that question.

Just read some of the posts & attitudes here!
    That should answer your question.

Advertisement