Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do Irish people appear thick and ignorant the more you travel?

• 21-01-2011 8:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 mistyd

No. There is thickness and ignorance no matter where you travel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

The further from Ireland you get the redder their necks get with more colourful GAA jerseys and they get louder singing the fields of athenry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

slum dog wrote: »

How about you offer up an opinion first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep...to the dangers of the sun...more often than not they look like a rasher dressed in penny's best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Do some Irish people appear smug and know it alls when they return from their travels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Do you mean Irish people abroad or Ireland and it's people in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

What? Did you just do a year in Oz or something...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 240 ✭✭slum dog

m@cc@ wrote: »
    How about you offer up an opinion first?

having to return to this country makes me realise how much i thought a normal up bringing was, wasnt. theres so many supid ignorant narrow minded people in this country who fear anything outside the norm that sometimes i find it difficult to breath

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

having to return to this country makes me realise how much i thought a normal up bringing was, wasnt. theres so many supid ignorant narrow minded people in this country who fear anything outside the norm that sometimes i find it difficult to breath
    Ah, gap year was it?

FYI, don't bore people with your "amazing" "life changing" experiences

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Only if one consorts with and meets culchies OP. Avoid them, and one is going to live an ignorance free life.

• Advertisement

phasers wrote: »
    Ah, gap year was it?

FYI, don't bore people with your "amazing" "life changing" experiences

ya a 7 year one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Do some Irish people appear smug and know it alls when they return from their travels?
    Some people appear smug without ever leaving :)

ya a 7 year one

Castlerea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

No, I always thought we were and I don't even have a passport!

eagle10 wrote: »
    The further from Ireland you get the redder their necks get with more colourful GAA jerseys and they get louder singing the fields of athenry

Its embarassing - we should initiate an embargo against culchies travelling outside of Ireland for the well-being of our nation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Orizio wrote: »
    Only if one consorts with and meets culchies OP. Avoid them, and one is going to live an ignorance free life.
    By culchie, I presume you mean a small-minded person? Plenty of them in Cork, Dublin, Belfast etc.

Nolanger wrote: »

You must be in Kerry quite a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

You've seen some of the world, met people from foreign lands now you realize that you must create your own life and social scene. Why not travel around a council estate in a northern English city or a Parisian banlieue rather than some beach in Thailand or Queensland and get back to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

To actually answer the OP, yes, I do think the Irish people seem quite ignorant when you return, there's an almost xenophobic begrudgery that greets you.

And sometimes it is gleefully expressed. Which is quite striking to me at least.

EDIT: That's not to say there aren't some very open-minded people about, but they're surprisingly rare.

By culchie, I presume you mean a small-minded person? Plenty of them in Cork, Dublin, Belfast etc.

Culchie - anyone born outside of Dublin.

If you happen across an ignorant and small-minded person in Dublin then I can assure you that you have happened upon a second or third generation culchie.

• Advertisement

Nolanger wrote: »

Just move out of culchieland then. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Its embarassing - we should initiate an embargo against culchies travelling outside of Ireland for the well-being of our nation.

I dont know why you are picking out culchies, Spanish resorts are full of loud drunken jackeens

I dont know why you are picking out culchies, Spanish resorts are full of loud drunken jackeens

Second generation culchies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Bloody Nipples

If you have to act like you're higher and mightier than other people then you most likely aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think a lot of people learn a bit more about the world when we get a bit older... you don't have to go on travels to see it.

Going on travels yeah.... that's a good one.. do these knobs not realise that getting the same stupid bus to Matchu Pichu that all the other smug gap year arseholes have been getting since the 70's doesn't make you 'cool' 'interesting' 'well travelled' or anything of the sort?

So fuck right off with your tedious and predictable facebook updates and boring photo albums of you standing beside waterfalls and feeding monkeys because that sh|t doesn't impress anyone any more.

And I agree with the above. There's thickness and ignorance in every part of the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

I have lived in the US, Ireland and the UK. Irish people - while monoglot - know about Ireland, the US and the UK. People in the UK know about the US and the UK. People in the US know the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

What do you mean OP, are Irish people more ignorant than other nationalities? Or are Irish people ignorant and thick when travelling abroad?

If its the first question, the answer is no, there's thick and ignorant people the world over.

If it's the second question, I'd probably lean towards yes simply because I'm a student and I'm basing much of what I know on Irish abroad on other students. I know friends who went on a trip to Berlin and just spent the whole weekend getting drunk. I mean you've travelled all the way to Berlin. There's tonnes of things to see-Berlin Wall, Reichstag, cool cafes etc and all you want to do is get legless?

Same thing happens when people I know visited Rome and Paris, two great cities with so much history, excitement, places to visit and all Irish students seem to want to do is get drunk. I mean one person I knwo visited Paris for 4 days and the only thing they did was visit the Eiffel Tower and sit in bars non stop. Craziness :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

theres so many supid ignorant narrow minded people in this country who fear anything outside the norm that sometimes i find it difficult to breath

If you've done much travelling you'll find that there's stupid narrow-minded people in every society. It's doesn't vary that much.

fabbydabby wrote: »
    I think a lot of people learn a bit more about the world when we get a bit older... you don't have to go on travels to see it.

Going on travels yeah.... that's a good one.. do these knobs not realise that getting the same stupid bus to Matchu Pichu that all the other smug gap year arseholes have been getting since the 70's doesn't make you 'cool' 'interesting' 'well travelled' or anything of the sort?

So fuck right off with your tedious and predictable facebook updates and boring photo albums of you standing beside waterfalls and feeding monkeys because that sh|t doesn't impress anyone any more.

And I agree with the above. There's thickness and ignorance in every part of the world.

going to the canaries for 2 weeks during the summer isnt considered well traveled either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Being honest, the more I travel, the more i accept that the above, "stupid, ignorant and narrow minded" are everywhere, regardless of where they are from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

going to the canaries for 2 weeks during the summer isnt considered well traveled either

It amounts to the same thing though, really.

A bit more info SlumDog. Where do you live?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

OP, familiarity breeds contempt which you seem to have for your own countrymen. Which is fair enough, you're entitled to

But I'm sure that every country has people like you who come home from abroad and say the same thing about their own country. And there a lots, and I have met plenty, of foreigners who come here and are absolutely amazed and envious of our general attitude to life.

So I suppose it's all a matter of taste really. There's no point complaining, no one likes hearing complaints.
    Except Joe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

Doubt you'd do well in any westernised society so.
    You sound a bit soft to me.
    I have lived in the US, Ireland and the UK. Irish people - while monoglot - know about Ireland, the US and the UK. People in the UK know about the US and the UK. People in the US know the US.

Precisely.

Were a helluva lot more worldly and informed overall then a lot of societies.

Off course this doesn't fit in with the constant self-flagellation going on at the moment :)

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If you've done much travelling you'll find that there's stupid narrow-minded people in every society. It's doesn't vary that much.

While one understands your point, Ireland is, I believe, far less urbanised then most first world countries, and as such has considerable more 'culchies' then other nations, and thus Ireland is more ignorant and small-minded by comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

to be fair its probably as ignorant sitting in ireland complaining about peoples clothing choices when abroad as it is to wear a GAA jersey

No, but culchies genuinely believe so. Such amusing creatures.

What's with all the culchie comments?

Having moved to Dublin I'm astounded how little many Dubs know of their own city.
    They know their own area, they know the city centre and call it "town" and that's pretty much it. Live in the same area until they move out. They also know the Corpo which changed names just under a decade ago
    People in work asking me for directions in Dublin yet they lived there all their life :confused:

Move to Dublin you learn the areas, move around a few times and learn every bus, best shops, safest and quickest walking routes, learn it all. Move house and then learn it all again

But then that's always the way, the Burren was 20km away from home and I never saw it once. Locals don't know their own areas!

Lol. I am always amazed at the Dubliner's dislike for culchies. Here is why

1) Meet a culchie in Dublin. Probably university educated. Keeping the civil service going or working in a multi-national.
    2) Jackeen - more likely a drug addict.

Seriously, none of the problems in Dublin are caused by culchies. And the culchie in Dublin ( or abroad) actually lives away from home. The sophisticated Dubliner stays in whatever part of the city he was born in, with mammy until he is 30 ( house prices was the excuse) and marries the fat girl across the road.

When I meet culchies in the UK ( and most of the Irish people I meet are culchies) they are similarly university educated.

If I hear a working class Jackeen accent, I leave the pub.

I find your bigotry disgusting, personally. Must be a culchie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Irish people are pig ignorant. Travel reinforces this.

• Advertisement

No, but culchies genuinely believe so. Such amusing creatures.

For someone who moderates Cork forums mod that seems a bit strange, or just facetious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Lol. I am always amazed at the Dubliner's dislike for culchies. Here is why

1) Meet a culchie in Dublin. Probably university educated. Keeping the civil service going or working in a multi-national.
    2) Jackeen - more likely a drug addict.

Seriously, none of the problems in Dublin are caused by culchies. And the culchie in Dublin ( or abroad) actually lives away from home. The sophisticated Dubliner stays in whatever part of the city he was born in, with mammy until he is 30 ( house prices was the excuse) and marries the fat girl across the road.

When I meet culchies in the UK ( and most of the Irish people I meet are culchies) they are similarly university educated.

If I hear a working class Jackeen accent, I leave the pub.

Quite the comedian aren't we?

Have you ever heard of Brian Cowen? It must be the university education that prepared him so well for his career in politics.

No hint of narrow mindedness or snobbery whatsoever about the post.

For someone who moderates Cork forums mod that seems a bit strange, or just facetious?

I'm deep under cover.

orourkeda wrote: »
    Irish people are pig ignorant. Travel reinforces this.

Are people using the term ignorant to mean uninformed or terminally selfish and mentally lazy? When I say Irish people are ignorant, I mean the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mossyc123

What's with all the culchie comments?

Having moved to Dublin I'm astounded how little many Dubs know of their own city.
    They know their own area, they know the city centre and call it "town" and that's pretty much it. Live in the same area until they move out. They also know the Corpo which changed names just under a decade ago
    People in work asking me for directions in Dublin yet they lived there all their life :confused:

Move to Dublin you learn the areas, move around a few times and learn every bus, best shops, safest and quickest walking routes, learn it all. Move house and then learn it all again

But then that's always the way, the Burren was 20km away from home and I never saw it once. Locals don't know their own areas!

Don't feed the troll.

He's was banging this Culchie-bashing drum on another thread earlier.

Must be looking for attention. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I spent a bit of time in rural US or the backcountry as they like to call it and I was asked a couple of times "How I was managing with the language?". It must have been the culchie accent!
    Obviously they were the minority of people that I encountered but as many here have already said, you find all sorts everywhere...not just in Ireland!

Someone from Cork stirring it, being controversial for the sake of it and just looking for attention?
    I'm for one am shocked :eek:

I find your bigotry disgusting, personally. Must be a culchie.

Mostly English - Irish. Lived in Dublin more than "down the country'. Anyway, given what you mod, you may be taking the piss.

I spent a bit of time in rural US or the backcountry as they like to call it and I was asked a couple of times "How I was managing with the language?". It must have been the culchie accent!

Can you speak American? ;)

I'm not a culchie. Ergo, I am not a troll.

I'm not a troll. Ergo, I am not a culchie.

Simple logic friends. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement