Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

car hire. what does excess mean

• 04-09-2012 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

My girlfriends aunt died today and shes thinking of hiring a car to go up to the funeral but we havent a clue what this excess means on the insurance. Its saying its 1350euro but we dont know what this is. Does this mean if she has an accident, shes to pay this amount out even thou she'll be taking the car hires insurance out they are providing

I just came across this part man. Talk me through it because i dont understand. Is this saying if i pay the 14euro a day, she wont have to pay anything out if theres a crash.

Insurance
    The following insurances are included in your quotation:

Third Party Insurance: - covers against damage or injury to a third party.
    Theft Protection: - covers against losses arising out of theft or attempted theft of the vehicle.
    Collision Damage Waiver (CDW): - this cover reduces your financial liability for damage caused to the
    vehicle from the full value of the vehicle to the value of the excess.

The excess is:

Economy 2 Door
    Compact 4 Door
    Intermediate 4 Door
    Full Size 4 Door
    Luxury Intermediate 5 Door
    Economy Automatic 2 Door
    Intermediate Automatic 4 Door
    EUR € 1350
    Full Size Automatic 4 Door
    Luxury Compact SUV
    Station Wagon
    7 Seater People Carrier
    EUR € 2100
    Executive Car
    Luxury Full Size 4 Door
    4x4
    Minibus
    EUR € 2300

For complete "Peace of Mind" this excess can be reduced to zero by taking out the optional Excess Waiver...see below.
    The following optional insurance may be purchased at the time of rental.

Excess Waiver:- The standard Collision Damage Waiver Excess and Theft Protection Excess are reduced to zero thus eliminating any financial responsibility in the event of loss or damage to the rental vehicle (excluding tyres). Budget reserve the right to charge a deposit equal to the excess if the renter declines the Excess Waiver. The Excess Waiver provides complete "Peace of Mind" cover.

Excess Waiver costs:

Economy 2 Door
    Compact 4 Door
    Intermediate 4 Door
    Full Size 4 Door
    Luxury Intermediate 5 Door
    Economy Automatic 2 Door
    Intermediate Automatic 4 Door
    EUR € 14.75 per day + VAT at 13.5%
    Full Size Automatic 4 Door
    Luxury Compact SUV
    Station Wagon
    7 Seater People Carrier
    EUR € 18.50 per day + VAT at 13.5%
    Executive Car
    Luxury Full Size 4 Door
    4x4
    Minibus
    EUR € 21.50 per day + VAT at 13.5%

Personal Accident / Personal Effects Insurance :- This optional insurance can be purchased for
    EUR € 8 per day and provides extensive benefits in case of injury / death.
    Declining Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) / Theft Protection
    CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and Theft Protection insurance reduce your financial liability for damage or theft of the vehicle and are included in your quote by default.

By declining these insurances you are taking responsibility to arrange your own cover and assume full financial liability up to the value of the vehicle for losses arising as a result of loss or damage to the vehicle. Written proof of CDW and Theft Protection coverage in Ireland will be required when picking up the vehicle.

We recommend that you fully understand the conditions of cover provided by your credit card company when using your card for insurance cover.

Customers declining CDW and Theft Protection are required to pay a liability deposit of EUR €2,000. An administration fee of EUR €25.00 + VAT at 13.5% applies for use of this service.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

Yup your read it right 14 euro = 0 excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Each one to their own but I prefer to take the waiver. If a door mirror is damaged while parked you will be hit with the bill to replace it which will be a couple of hundred Euro. If the windscreen gets damaged it'll be a similar price. Peace of mind is what you're buying and with a bereavement to deal with, I reckon the peace of mind is worth it.

If the excess is €14/day then a 10 day rental would cost €140 - still a lot less than any 'minor' damage you may incur (or damage a third party might inflict while you're away from the rented car).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭keyser2012

crosstownk wrote: »
    Each one to their own but I prefer to take the waiver. If a door mirror is damaged while parked you will be hit with the bill to replace it which will be a couple of hundred Euro. If the windscreen gets damaged it'll be a similar price. Peace of mind is what you're buying and with a bereavement to deal with, I reckon the peace of mind is worth it.

If the excess is €14/day then a 10 day rental would cost €140 - still a lot less than any 'minor' damage you may incur (or damage a third party might inflict while you're away from the rented car).

Only really need the car for 3 days and will be going up north and with the trouble up there, id hate anything to happen to it or even a crash because would hate to get hit with a big bill. we were thining of getting the bus but theres 5 of us, me, the girlfriend and 3 kids so it will cost just as much to go on the bus or possibly more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It's worth the fee for the peace of mind.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's worth the fee for the peace of mind.

I dont mind paying the fee but i dont understand the ins and outs of it because we all know what insurance compaines carryon like, if my misses crashes i could end up with a big bill on my hands.

Im wanting to know if someone runs in to the back of her will we have to pay the excess or if she runs into someone else and its her fault, even thou weve took the extra cover out, will she still be liable for the excess. Sorry if this sounds abit silly but i dont really understand all the terms and conditions with things like this

• Advertisement

No the excess is only used if you can't find someone else to blame it on,

I got stung years ago, rented a car in Glasgow, didn't take out the extra insurance as I've never scratched a car, before dropping the car back I had it washed and had a good look around it, dropped it back to the airport, the office was closed, parked it in their car park in a corner, saw a charge of £500 on my credit card a few weeks later,

They said there was damage to both sides of the car, despite contacting them demanding either pictures of the damage or invoices for the bodywork they didn't give either and said it was in the tens that it was my responsibility from when I dropped it back till they inspected it. I chased them for ages but got nowhere. It wasn't a fly-by-night operation, one of the big companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,458 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pay it. Since its such as short term deal the cost is small then leave it back on its roof:D

If you dont go with it, be sure to check the car thoroughly for scratches etc cause if you miss one when taking the car out, you could end up paying for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Quite simply put: Rent the car, pay the waiver, drive the car into a wall, walk away, no bill.

Don't expect a replacement car :pac:

crosstownk wrote: »
    Quite simply put: Rent the car, pay the waiver, drive the car into a wall, walk away, no bill.

Don't expect a replacement car :pac:

I couldnt see it being like that. for just 15euro aday, your fully insured. Sounds to good to be true. And when you say dont expect a replacement car, how would we get home.

€15 A day reduces your excess, the insurance is built into your rental price. Chances are you won't need it, but it's just extra protection.

• Advertisement

€15 A day reduces your excess, the insurance is built into your rental price. Chances are you won't need it, but it's just extra protection.

I just need to know how i go about getting her covered and if she has an accident and was her fault, then i dont have a big bill on my hands. I do understand that she will get up and down without an accident but with her mind not being right with her aunt dying, you just never know

When you say "reduce" her excess, what does that mean. will i still get hit with the bill. Forgot to mention , itll be on my credit card. She has a debit card but dont think they take them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

keyser2012 wrote: »
    Only really need the car for 3 days and will be going up north and with the trouble up there, id hate anything to happen to it or even a crash because would hate to get hit with a big bill. we were thining of getting the bus but theres 5 of us, me, the girlfriend and 3 kids so it will cost just as much to go on the bus or possibly more.

Make sure the hire company is ok with her taking the car out of this country before she hires. It should be ok but best to confirm.

Scenario one

You don't get the extra cover, aunt crashes it. Costs €7000 to put right, she pays the first €1350 and they cover the rest

You get the extra cover, aunt crashes it. Costs €7000 to put right, she pays nothing

scenario two

You don't get the extra cover, aunt scratches it. Costs €70 to put right, she pays €70

You get the extra cover, aunt crashes it. Costs €70 to put right, she pays nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

1) If you pay the 14 euro you are totally covered. Doesn't matter what happens the car you have no bill.

2) Make sure that the company you are renting from is ok with the driver being different from the owner of the credit card. A lot of the big companies do not allow this.

Advertisement