Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Headshot wrote: »
    here's a interesting fact the hippo is responsible for more human fatalities in Africa than any other large animal.

If thats true its a crazy stat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,624 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dub13 wrote: »

iv read it somewhere before but here's is a link

http://goafrica.about.com/od/africasafariguide/tp/dangerousanimals.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah, heard it on QI once and we all know that Steven Fry does not lie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,575 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Hippos are an amazing animal.

They fooking hate crocs.

Thats some clip,I have a new found respect for Hippos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It's true, they are crazy aggressive, and most people look at them as some sort of big, slow, dumb, and friendly animal. They are unbelievably quick swimmers, and have been known to capsize boats if they come too close to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Does anyone still eat pop tarts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I'd ate the box off Cheryl Cole.
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

!?!?!??!?!?

Des wrote: »

Wash your mouth out,don't ever ever call he that her name is Cheryl Tweedy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wash your mouth out,don't ever ever call he that her name is Cheryl Tweedy.

She has a name?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

kinaldo wrote: »
    Does anyone still eat pop tarts?

Ya man, over in NY during the summer I was living on chocolate chip cookie dough and chocolate smore flavoured poptarts. Heavenly!! They have ridiculous flavours over there. I don't like the strawberry ones, prefer the chocolate/ vanilla ones you get over here.

I lol'd.
    Mr Alan wrote: »
    !?!?!??!?!?

Sigh alan... :P

I am thinking of getting back into the world on gaming after a long absence.I still play the odd game of Batelfield on the PC and love it but its just not the same on a PC.I am thinking of getting a Xbox or playstation,any advice...?

Also is this Call of Duty really that good..?

yes. yes it is

yes. yes it is

LOL...you sound like you need some fresh air.Go out and try to walk it off.

I am thinking of getting back into the world on gaming after a long absence.I still play the odd game of Batelfield on the PC and love it but its just not the same on a PC.I am thinking of getting a Xbox or playstation,any advice...?

Really? I always found that online console gaming was much worse than on a pc. Nothing will ever beat counterstrike as an online experience for me. Mixing with randomers from the UK on ventrillo and irc! Those were the days.

I'd probably recommend a PS3, mainly because it's got free online capabilities, and doubles as a blue ray player. Although I much prefer the xbox controller (especially for first person shooters), and the xbox is much cheaper and has a better backlog of games imo.

COD MW2 is very good, but I will never be able to enjoy an online shooter on a console as much as on a PC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

just got me a new laptop, windows 7 is a vast improvement on Vista, very smooth.

I'm getting FM2010, is it out yet?

I'm getting FM2010, is it out yet?
    Yeah, two of my friends have it, say it's very good

eZe^ wrote: »
    Really? I always found that online console gaming was much worse than on a pc. Nothing will ever beat counterstrike as an online experience for me. Mixing with randomers from the UK on ventrillo and irc! Those were the days.

I have never played a console online so I am not sure how good bad they are,so you reckon a PC is much better for online play..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Anyone else seen this :D Pretty funny.

• Advertisement

It all comes out now

2009-11-20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

there's some rumours floating around the boards poker forum as well as some others that phil babb has been doing well at high stakes poker online. anyone here know anything about it?

Limericks 100ft floating Christmas tree, which was due to be lit up on the river Shannon Friday evening, has been swept away in the strong current and has crashed into Shannon Bridge.

The incident happened shortly after 5pm as the Christmas lights ceremony with the Mayor Kevin Kiely and boxer Andy Lee was about to get underway on Thomas Street.

The structure was being towed into position however the current of the river was too strong and the eco-friendly tree drifted away. Crowds had gathered along the Quays to witness the tree being lit up but instead watched as the structure became lodged against the bridge. Officials then became worried when the tree began leaning precariously at an angle.

The Shannon Bridge has been closed on the inbound lane while emergency services attend the scene. Traffic is slow on the Condell Road inbound and Bishop’s Quay is closed as a result. Diversions are in place.

Limerick Marine Search and Rescue, the Fire Service and Gardai are at the scene attempting to re-float the giant structure. Nobody has been injured in the incident and there appears to be no major damage to either bridge or tree.

Officials say they hope to position the tree again and hopefully switch on the lights on Saturday evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Eric Cantona of basketball.

Challenge: Spot as many Fast Food brands as you can.

there's some rumours floating around the boards poker forum as well as some others that phil babb has been doing well at high stakes poker online. anyone here know anything about it?

I have not heard a thing,what site is he meant to be playing..?

For those that have Kids for santa.

http://portablenorthpole.tv/home/

Thought some of you might use this you can make a video message for the kids !

go and watch avatar

that is all

go and watch avatar

that is all
    The woman wants to watch it so I'll probably see it next week.

Watched Harry Brown last night, felt so paranoid walking home...

The woman wants to watch it so I'll probably see it next week.

Watched Harry Brown last night, felt so paranoid walking home...

We're the other way round. My missus wants to watch Harry Brown, where as I want to watch Avatar. Might go tomorrow night for Harry Brown. Get Avatar in 3D in the new cinema in Whitewater then with the nephews or something :D

• Advertisement

go and watch avatar

that is all

Its getting mixed reviews.

nicklauski wrote: »
    We're the other way round. My missus wants to watch Harry Brown, where as I want to watch Avatar. Might go tomorrow night for Harry Brown. Get Avatar in 3D in the new cinema in Whitewater then with the nephews or something :D
    Harry Brown was her suggestion too, I'm not picky when it comes to movies and she doesn't like chick flicks so it's grand :D

Its getting mixed reviews.
    Yeah but Headshot said to go, so you should go. :D
    she doesn't like chick flicks so it's grand :D

Jammy Basterd! :D

nicklauski wrote: »
    Jammy Basterd! :D
    She does love her musicals though :pac:

She does love her musicals though :pac:

And normality has resumed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Brittany Murphy has died. (Now confirmed) :eek::(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Does anyone play fifa 10 bein at it now a few weeks my first ever fifa game and I'm having a tough time anyone got any tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Does anyone play fifa 10 bein at it now a few weeks my first ever fifa game and I'm having a tough time anyone got any tips?

If you are playin online wait for the other guys players to run at you and then pass to the teammate that they have ran away from.

I second Headshot's advice about Avatar. Just don't see it in 2D. I've seen it in both and the difference is amazing in 3D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Liam O wrote: »
    If you are playin online wait for the other guys players to run at you and then pass to the teammate that they have ran away from.

I second Headshot's advice about Avatar. Just don't see it in 2D. I've seen it in both and the difference is amazing in 3D
    cool thanks.

Ya they reckon this is how films are going to go now if avatar is succesful enough

Was supposed to go see Avatar yesterday but was sold out in cineworld, savoy and santry!

Happy christmas to you & yours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,984 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Aye Avatar 3D is definitely worth a watch in cinema. The quality of the movie/storyline itself is debateable but its just sooo pretty!

Also, anyone else think that blue chick was really hot? No?...ok....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Aye Avatar 3D is definitely worth a watch in cinema. The quality of the movie/storyline itself is debateable but its just sooo pretty!

Also, anyone else think that blue chick was really hot? No?...ok....
    She'd destroy ye in the sack mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Feck Avatar lads, go watch Where The Wild Things Are! Its absolutely magical!

Bit of a hot topic in American Football at the moment, be interesting to see what you lot think of this. For those that are unaware, there are 16 games in the regular season. Then theres 4 games in the Playoffs (including the Superbowl), or 3 games if you are one of the top 2 teams in your conference (theres 2 conferences) because you get a bye for the first game. All that side, basically heres whats happening.

The Indianapolis Colts had a shot at becoming only the second team of all time to go 16-0 (wins - losses) and win the Superbowl (which would be 19-0). As of this week, they were 14-0 and guaranteed 1st seed in the playoffs (they would have homefield advantage and get a bye in the first Playoff game). Tonight, they were ahead in the 3rd quarter and decided to bench their quarterback Peyton Manning (one of the best QB's to ever play the game). They then went on to lose the game with a poor performance from the stand-in quarterback Curtis Painter.

Now, on one hand, you can understand them for wanting to preserve Manning. After all, he's Peyton Manning - you dont want him to suffer a needless injury before the playoffs in January. However, Peyton Manning has a great Offensive Line in front of him (they protect the QB from taking hits) and in his 12 years in the NFL, he has never been injured. Now theres every chance that they could have gone on to lose in the playoffs anyway, but what would you have done? Would you have gone for immortality (an unbeaten regular season and superbowl victory is huge in American sports, and has only been achieved by the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The New England Patriots were on the cusp of doing it a couple of years ago, but lost in the Superbowl). So, would you have gone for unthinkable, and attempted to go undefeated? Or would you have rested Peyton Manning too? Consider that because they had secured first seed, they would have already had a 2 week break before their first playoff match.

Personally, Id have gone for the undefeated. Manning never gets injured, and if by some miniscule chance he had, there was plenty of time to get over it.

I am getting back into the new Football manager after a few years,any good players..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Archimedes wrote: »
    Feck Avatar lads, go watch Where The Wild Things Are! Its absolutely magical!

Bit of a hot topic in American Football at the moment, be interesting to see what you lot think of this. For those that are unaware, there are 16 games in the regular season. Then theres 4 games in the Playoffs (including the Superbowl), or 3 games if you are one of the top 2 teams in your conference (theres 2 conferences) because you get a bye for the first game. All that side, basically heres whats happening.

The Indianapolis Colts had a shot at becoming only the second team of all time to go 16-0 (wins - losses) and win the Superbowl (which would be 19-0). As of this week, they were 14-0 and guaranteed 1st seed in the playoffs (they would have homefield advantage and get a bye in the first Playoff game). Tonight, they were ahead in the 3rd quarter and decided to bench their quarterback Peyton Manning (one of the best QB's to ever play the game). They then went on to lose the game with a poor performance from the stand-in quarterback Curtis Painter.

Now, on one hand, you can understand them for wanting to preserve Manning. After all, he's Peyton Manning - you dont want him to suffer a needless injury before the playoffs in January. However, Peyton Manning has a great Offensive Line in front of him (they protect the QB from taking hits) and in his 12 years in the NFL, he has never been injured. Now theres every chance that they could have gone on to lose in the playoffs anyway, but what would you have done? Would you have gone for immortality (an unbeaten regular season and superbowl victory is huge in American sports, and has only been achieved by the 1972 Miami Dolphins. The New England Patriots were on the cusp of doing it a couple of years ago, but lost in the Superbowl). So, would you have gone for unthinkable, and attempted to go undefeated? Or would you have rested Peyton Manning too? Consider that because they had secured first seed, they would have already had a 2 week break before their first playoff match.

Personally, Id have gone for the undefeated. Manning never gets injured, and if by some miniscule chance he had, there was plenty of time to get over it.

History, man. I would have went for history. Especially if they have a longer break!! In fact, they'll probably lose their play-off because of loss of momentum now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Who had the Tevez Owen goal comparison Sig? I need a LOL

Who had the Tevez Owen goal comparison Sig? I need a LOL
    Might have been Ntlbell, last time I saw it he was comparing Champions league goals :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Might have been Ntlbell, last time I saw it he was comparing Champions league goals :D

It was Headshot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Some weather around Dublin bai's!!! Had a 90 minutes walk through the snow and ice, but I rather enjoyed it to be honest. Very bracing.:D

Crazy weather in Dublin and all over the east,people taken hours to get home.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement