Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waste of Petrol?

• 16-12-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭

Just a quick question here if someone could please help.

Over the past 2 months i've noticed my car using up far more petrol than normal, 28 miles to the gallon, would anyone know what the problem could be?
    I'm bringing the car to a mechanic tomorrow. I drive a 2000 opel astra 1.4 hatchback

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Seanohea wrote: »
    Just a quick question here if someone could please help.

Over the past 2 months i've noticed my car using up far more petrol than normal, 28 miles to the gallon, would anyone know what the problem could be?
    I'm bringing the car to a mechanic tomorrow. I drive a 2000 opel astra 1.4 hatchback

what's your driving style like?, do you fast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 478 ✭✭Seanohea

No, not really, i'm 27, i'm relaxed nowadays. I just definetley know i used to get way more milage in the past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

When was it last service?Is the pressure correct in your tyres?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Tires are a big factor.

also check airfliter isnt blocked with a leaf or somthing and also change or clean your spark plugs.

last serviced in march, its due a service, but that cant be all it is. I've been due a service in the past and petrol has gone as quick as this. Checked the tyres this morning, theyre all good

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

you need to bring the car to the petrol startion and make sure they are close to max pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Some suggestions:
    1: A fuel leak somewhere, though you'd probably notice this on your driveway.
    2: Problem with the fuel injection system.
    3: When you calculated your mpg you forgot to carry the one - did you check your calc?
    4: A change in driving conditions in the last 2 months, from motorway driving to urban driving or a similar change like that, or long trips to shorter trips
    5: someone else mentioned checking your tyre pressures are good, which you did
    6: Carrying more weight than you used to in the car?

What did you get 2 months ago? I mean to ask, what was your mpg in the days before it was 28?

you need to bring the car to the petrol startion and make sure they are close to max pressure.

I did that this morning so that cant be the problem, tyres are fine.

Prenderb wrote: »
    Some suggestions:
    1: A fuel leak somewhere, though you'd probably notice this on your driveway.
    2: Problem with the fuel injection system.
    3: When you calculated your mpg you forgot to carry the one - did you check your calc?
    4: A change in driving conditions in the last 2 months, from motorway driving to urban driving or a similar change like that, or long trips to shorter trips
    5: someone else mentioned checking your tyre pressures are good, which you did
    6: Carrying more weight than you used to in the car?

What did you get 2 months ago? I mean to ask, what was your mpg in the days before it was 28?

Mpg was about 45 per gallon. I said 2 months ago because thats when i noticed the petrol consumption going downhill, nothing out of the ordinary happened.
    No leak that i can see. No more weight than before. Not doing as much driving as before

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well according to top gear using your heaters uses petrol :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Mpg was about 45 per gallon. I said 2 months ago because thats when i noticed the petrol consumption going downhill, nothing out of the ordinary happened.
    No leak that i can see. No more weight than before. Not doing as much driving as before

I think 45mpg is a bit over optimistic tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

If tyres, filters and plugs are all good, then i think the next port of call would be the egr valve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Mpg was about 45 per gallon.
    Are you sure, seems a bit high?
    Not doing as much driving as before
    Doing a lot of short hops in cold weather? Were your higher mpg figures from longer trips in less cold weather?

Does your car get warmed up in a normal time period?
    I had a car with the thermostat stuck open during a cold spell, thing spent ages running rich and piddled through fuel until it got properly warmed up.
    Lot's of short hops would leave you in the same situation...

Is the car idling ok once warmed up?
    Does it sound a bit odd when idling or is there a noticeable juddajuddajudda vibration if you put your hand on the bonnet? There will always be some vibration, but if there is any slight misfire going on then you'd probably notice the extra. Could be a fuel/air mixture problem or timing/spark issue.

Your mechanic should be able to figure these out handy enough if you can't.

Have you got the rear window demister permanently on?
    Wouldn't account for all the loss in mpg, but it does make a difference?

I also think 45 might be a bit optimistic. It's a 9 year old petrol, so I'd say 45 would be hard to reach.

This guy has an mpg of 29.7 on average, similar car to yours. Maybe you've got nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If tyres, filters and plugs are all good, then i think the next port of call would be the egr valve?

Would have to agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

This guy has an mpg of 29.7 on average, similar car to yours. Maybe you've got nothing to worry about.

That's 29.7 US MPG, 35.1 imperial.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

It'd be no harm to check the MAF sensor. If its faulty/dirty it may cause the ECU to inject too much fuel into the chamber as it cant measure the correct amount of air coming in.

Thanks for pointing that out...back to the pondering couch.

Interesting site, btw, innit? you can change from US to UK and Metric in the top left corner.

This has me thinking though - what figures did the OP use for his calculations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

I also think 45 might be a bit optimistic. It's a 9 year old petrol, so I'd say 45 would be hard to reach.

ive a 2000 toyota corolla liftback and im averaging 43mpg and often as high as 47. i had a similar drop in mpg a while back and it was due to a faulty fuel input or injector.was down as far as 27 for 2 fills and back up again after it was replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

a friend of mine said the same thing to me the other day...his Peugeot 306 really started to guzzle and his mechanic said the catalytic converter was busted. causing the car to use up much more petrol than it should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Thanks for pointing that out...back to the pondering couch.

Interesting site, btw, innit? you can change from US to UK and Metric in the top left corner.

Yeah it is an interesting site, thanks for the link. It's a bit US-centric though, but at least they've made it accomodate for our silly half-metric world of buying fuel in litres and measuring fuel economy in MPG :)

Thanks for the help and info guys, really appreciated. I'll see what happens tomorrow (later today)

Any resolution, seanohea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

I've had this problem recently too.
    Turned out to be a faulty oxygen sensor, which was found out when the engine management light came on.
    Once it was replaced, consumption was back to normal

Advertisement