Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoid hospital visit until birth?

Options
  • 10-02-2015 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭

My wife is preggers with our third baba.
    She had one each in Holles Street and The Rotunda. Both times with the midwives clinic in the respective hospital.

With two other nippers around now we would rather not have to go into town (Holles street this time, we were thinking of making it a hat-trick and go for the Coombe but its a bit too far and labour for the last two was almost too fast) for the checkups and are wondering can we just call the Midwife clinic in Bray and make an appointment?
    Or if we have to see a consultant first can we call the Consultant clinic in Loughlinstown and make an appointment there?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Supercell wrote: »
    My wife is preggers with our third baba.
    She had one each in Holles Street and The Rotunda. Both times with the midwives clinic in the respective hospital.

With two other nippers around now we would rather not have to go into town (Holles street this time, we were thinking of making it a hat-trick and go for the Coombe but its a bit too far and labour for the last two was almost too fast) for the checkups and are wondering can we just call the Midwife clinic in Bray and make an appointment?
    Or if we have to see a consultant first can we call the Consultant clinic in Loughlinstown and make an appointment there?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

If you qualify your wife could join the domino scheme and only see the midwife in the satellite clinics. I think first appointment maybe has to be in the hospital (not sure). Ring Holles St and ask. They are quite helpful. Edit to say congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

You will probably need to go to the hospital for the Anomoly scan at 20wks. That and the booking in apt (+ scan) at 11wks are my only hospital visits until i reach full term or until delivery, whichever happens first. I'm doing everything else in the GPs office (combined care) or Midwives satellite clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

I live in Bray and Holles St is my hospital. I go to the satellite clinic in Loughlinstown hospital. You only need to go to holleS St for your scan at 20 weeks. All other appointments are in Loughlinstown or with your GP. When you book your pregnancy in with Holles st they will ask if you want to go to the satellite clinic and then you're sorted. You can't ring Loughlinstown directly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

If she had any complications before or a c section they won't see her. If she does qualify you need to go to first appointment in hospital and is everything is straight forward they'll refer you to the dominos or the midwives clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Ginny wrote: »
    If she had any complications before or a c section they won't see her. If she does qualify you need to go to first appointment in hospital and is everything is straight forward they'll refer you to the dominos or the midwives clinic.

That's not always the case, I had a section last time & I've only been to the hospital for scans & one consultants appointment at 16 weeks where I asked if I could see my local midwives in future which I was allowed to do. Haven't been to the hospital since my 20 week scan, I'm 32 weeks now. My next appointment is with my GP tomorrow & then my midwife 2 weeks after that.

• Advertisement

Plus if the op chooses to go to Loughlinstown it's a consultant from the hospital you see, not just midwives so I can't see why you would have to go into Holles st if you had had a c section. It's not a midwives clinic

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Sorry I meant dominos won't see you the midwives clinic should, then again I was refused on having supposed high bp in last 2 weeks of last pregnancy. They're now saying it wasn't high enough for the meds I was put on, plus this pregnancy it's been fine and they still won't let me go to the midwives clinic, even though I can basically see it from my house. :( could depend on hospital though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Woshy wrote: »
    I live in Bray and Holles St is my hospital. I go to the satellite clinic in Loughlinstown hospital. You only need to go to holleS St for your scan at 20 weeks. All other appointments are in Loughlinstown or with your GP. When you book your pregnancy in with Holles st they will ask if you want to go to the satellite clinic and then you're sorted. You can't ring Loughlinstown directly.

Did you have to go into to Holles street initially to book in or it was all done in Loughlinstown? We are going to call them on Monday so want to get all our ducks in a row first!

Thanks.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

It was all done in Loughlinstown. My booking in appointment was there at 13 weeks. You only have to go to holles St for your anomaly scan st 20/21 weeks.

Thanks Woshy thats great news!

• Advertisement

No problem - hope it all works out for you. I ended up having to go into Holles st quite a few times, including two admissions of a few days each due to hyperemesis so I didn't avoid trips in there as much as I thought or hoped!

Now that I'm later in my pregnancy though it'll be very handy, especially when the appointments get very close together towards the end.

Supercell - I had a routine antenatal appointment today scheduled for 9.45am. By 10.30am I was back in the car on the way home. It is very handy for getting in and out quickly!

Turned out to be easy to arrange. Our doctor sent the application into Holles street. They then sent us the booking information. We called the Domino number and they transferred us to Loughlinstown who were happy to re-arrange the booking visit to there, all they needed was the patient number which was on the paperwork we got from Holles street.
    So hopefully just two visits to town will be needed - one for the scan at 20 weeks and the final one at 40 weeks fingers crossed!

Advertisement