Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

King Charles

Options
  • 28-10-2010 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hello everyone
    I plan secret purchase of king charles puppy for my girlfriend
    she will be so excited i feel
    however i do not wish purchase from mass breeder
    is this possible in ireland and if so where should i contact

i see breeder in wexford, cavaliers ireland with good website
    does anyone have positive experience to share regarding this service?

Muchos gracias / thanks to all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Be very careful of websites selling dogs as a lot of them are very dodgy.

I suggest you contact the IKC breed club and ask for a list of breeders or litters coming up.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club

Mrs. E. Hurley
    14 Grange Park View, Raheny, Dublin 5.
    (01-8481621) Email: lahume@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Emelio wrote: »
    Hello everyone
    I plan secret purchase of king charles puppy for my girlfriend
    she will be so excited i feel
    however i do not wish purchase from mass breeder
    is this possible in ireland and if so where should i contact

i see breeder in wexford, cavaliers ireland with good website
    does anyone have positive experience to share regarding this service?

Muchos gracias / thanks to all

I'd check with your girlfriend first to see if she will be so excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I second checking with the gf to see if she really wants a dog. Giving an animal as a surprise gift is always dangerous- your gf may enthuse about puppies, but reality of day to day picking up poo, walking, feeding, etc and fantasy of playing with cute pups are two different things.
    I would also strongly advise you to get the pup vet checked before buying as many cavs (like other breeds) can have hereditary health problems (bad hearts, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

deelite wrote: »
    +1. You'd need to check that she can afford the money and time that comes with getting a pup (especially a breed as prone to health problems as a Cav) before surprising her.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Do a quick google on Health Problems King Charles & you'll find this kind of thing:
    Heart mitral valve disease (MVD) is a terminal illness which afflicts over half of all Cavalier King Charles spaniels by the age of 5 years and nearly all Cavaliers by age 10 years. It is CKCSs' leading cause of death

Syringomyelia (SM) is reported to be "very widespread" in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel breed. Syringomyelia is a disorder of the brain and spinal cord, which may cause severe head and neck pain and possible paralysis.

I know you are trying to do the right thing by going to a proper breeder, but there was a documentary on BBC last year which showed that many breeders don't really care about breeding from dogs with inherited diseases.

You don't want to give a gift of a very ill dog! Also - a present that comes with a load of responsibilities and expenses may not be the best thing to land on someone without checking first.

Maybe you should talk it through with your gf first and if she does want the lifelong responsibility of a pet, and then you could both do the right thing & rescue a dog from a shelter together - which would be a lovely thing to do instead!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

deelite wrote: »

+1 for checking with your girlfriend, so many people turn up at the rescue I volunteer for to get a 'surprise' dog (which we don't do) and we tell them to bring up the person, that the surprise can be to choose their own dog, and I'd say that 75% of the time they ring back to say the person actually didnt want one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Lizard Queen

king charles have many problems, there are 80% to develop a heart condition, they can have a condition called syringomyella which it a spinal/skull problem and it a debilitating teriible condition. They can have ear and eye problems and other things saying all that i knew all the info but yet i got my baby girl muffin 3 years ago. good luck with the search if you have any question let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Emelio - have sent you a pm RE breeders.

Please do not buy from a website, ensure you see pups and mother and where they are kept. Also, make sure the breeder health tests (MRI and ECG minimum). Maybe talk to your girlfriend about it - she might prefer a different breed or a kitten or anything else so beat to clear it by her first!

:)

Advertisement