Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Books

Options
  • 21-06-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

I've been really enjoying a lot of recent football biographies (Pirlo/Zlatan to name a few) and was just wondering if anybody could recommend any books on MMA. Biography or otherwise really.

Got a book for Christmas called 'Into The Cage: The Rise Of UFC Nation' by Nick Gullo. Some seriously good pictures from way back when to present day UFC events. Some good stories too from fighters. Certainly worth a look in my opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭reganreggie

Forrest griffens first book is very funny and cheal sonnens is decent too

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Forrest griffens first book is very funny and cheal sonnens is decent too

+1
    Got fight is a good laugh

might have a look for sonnens book

the ian freeman book isn't a bad read overall either

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Jamie OD

Total MMA is really good for not just the UFC but Pride as well. However the author sometimes comes across as anti-UFC. I remember he used to be on the Wrestling Observer forums and he absolutely despised UFC for bringing in Brock Lesnar and quickly putting him into the title scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Kevin Moran

'A Fighters Mind' and 'A Fighters Heart' by a guy called Sam Sheridan are excellent, A Fighters Heart especially imo.
    Randy Couture's autobiography is very interesting too, probably one of the better spoken athletes out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

have read Chuck Liddell's and Brock lesnar's autobiographies, think theyre called Iceman and Deathclutch. They are not going to win any literary prizes but were good easy books to read while lying by a pool on hols. On paperback as well so should be cheap. Lesnars went into his wwe days as well which I didnt have much interest in but wouldnt put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I've just finished Pirlo's I Think Therefor I Play and am now currently reading GSP's The Way of the Fight.

GSP's broken the book down into specific sections that deal with specific areas of him and his style. It's a great read so far, and I'm only on the second section!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭p to the e

Jamie OD wrote: »
    Total MMA is really good for not just the UFC but Pride as well. However the author sometimes comes across as anti-UFC. I remember he used to be on the Wrestling Observer forums and he absolutely despised UFC for bringing in Brock Lesnar and quickly putting him into the title scene.

You wanna know about the history of MMA then read this book. He doesn't like the Gracies much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Bumping an old thread but Ronda Rousey's autobiography is a great read. Would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭SeanFrank

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Cage-Martial-Miletich-Furious/dp/0547247796

I read the Chuck Liddell book and that one above and I thought Pat Miletich's story was great. Gives a nice insight into the rise of the UFC from the perspective of one of the pioneers - I'd recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

Was listening to an interview on the Joe Rogan podcast with Jonathan Gottschall, he wrote a book called "The Professor in The Cage".

Sounds like something similar to "Body and Soul: Ethnographic Notebooks of An Apprentice-Boxer" by Loïc Wacquant, which, even though its not an mma book, is still a very interesting read if you're a combat sports fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It has been mentioned before by That_Guy, but Ronda's book is excellent. I flew through it and finished it in a day when I was off sick. Highly recommended.

Advertisement