Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for info....

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I was wondering if some of you could point me in the right direction to find some info.
    Basically my grandad served as a ranger in the 2nd Batallion Royal Irish Regiment (I think) in the 1960s. He served in a lot of places including Bahrain, Abu Dhabi, and was also stationed around the UK in places like Gibraltar and Somerset. He was then stationed in Fort Hood, Texas, as support to the US Army for the Vietnam war. This is all the info I really have at the minute.
    It's his birthday soon and I'd love to find photos of his platoon etc online to give him as a present but I don't know where to start.
    What additional info would I need to know to search for this, and where would I look for it? Are there any particular sites that are good for this sort of thing?
    I'd be grateful for any help.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

You will need his full name, DOB, place of birth, mothers maiden name, pervious address (preferably upon enlistment). The fact that you know what unit he served in is a lot of help.

The more info you can give, the more they have to search on...iut makes it quicker.

See this link, they may be able to help. As regards to what photos are on file, who knows.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/service_records.html

http://www.army.mod.uk/infantry/regiments/3409.aspx

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Thanks for that!
    I'll try get all that info together and see what I can come up with.
    D.O.B might be a problem though.......he doesn't actually know his real date of birth (abandoned as a kid, long story!) Plus he was too young to join so he lied about his age, god knows what date of birth he gave! I'm sure there's ways around it though. Thanks for the help. :)

Try here too

http://royalirishrangers.co.uk/Gallery2/main.php

Drop a few emails to any of the contacts. They would have stuff archived away and may be of assistance.

Dean09 wrote: »
    Thanks for that!
    I'll try get all that info together and see what I can come up with.
    D.O.B might be a problem though.......he doesn't actually know his real date of birth (abandoned as a kid, long story!) Plus he was too young to join so he lied about his age, god knows what date of birth he gave! I'm sure there's ways around it though. Thanks for the help. :)

No problem, find out if he had a knicknames or anything. You could also contact the states. There would have to be some record of his unit being attached to a US base. They might have photos.

benwavner wrote: »
    No problem, find out if he had a knicknames or anything. You could also contact the states. There would have to be some record of his unit being attached to a US base. They might have photos.

Good idea.
    I'll try get as many details out of him as possible and start searching. Hopefully something turns up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Uh, I think you'll find that Gibraltar is not in UK, but is actually located at the extreme south-western tip of the Iberian peninsula, a scant 12 miles away from Africa, across the aptly-named straits of Gibraltar.

All the other information is good.

Good luck.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Uh, I think you'll find that Gibraltar is not in UK, but is actually located at the extreme south-western tip of the Iberian peninsula, a scant 12 miles away from Africa, across the aptly-named straits of Gibraltar.

All the other information is good.

Good luck.

tac

Yeah you're right. It's British territory though so that's why I included it. My mistake.

Advertisement