Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Army Officer Swords

• 21-08-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hello, looking to see if anyone out there could furnish me with the contact details of the company or individual responsible for the production of the swords used by the PDF officer corps. I know I can get one from Protac for €1000 but I'd rather buy from producer if possible. Thanks inhabitants of the Internet :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Wilkinson Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eannamor

Wilkinson Swords.
    I was under the impression that it was an Irish company that produced them.... Though it seems wilkinson do do the official sword

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

Wilkinson haven't made swords in years. WKC in Germany make them now. http://www.wkc-solingen.de/newshop/irishinfantrysword.html

Contact them for their Irish representative - I think it may be Protac. It used to be a chap in Meath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

This is a rather more complex question that might seem to be initially. An officers uniform and sword are purchased privately by that officer, so once it conforms by the official pattern, then its maker is irelevant.

The irish army sword is a derivative of the 1897 british pattern, featuring the same blade with its own unique etching pattern and a much simplified guards style hilt.

Three companies produced it Wilkinson, WKC and Pooley

Wilkinson - regarded as the original and best, Wilkinson made most of the Irish swords right up until they went out of business in the middle part of noughties. The blade was carbon steel with a brass hilt and apparently they went through tests to ensure they could withstand combat if needed. Wilkinsons parent company got bought out by a consumer cosmetics giant who quickly decided that having a small division manufacturing 19th century weapons wasn't part of their plan, so quickly closed it down. Regarded as the best quality swords, they show up in auction houses every now and again. Expect to pay 1500+ depending on condition and who it belonged to.

WKC - a german blade manufacturer with a long and impressive history, WKC make the current "issue" sword. When I say issue, this means issued to army officers for required occassions and then returned to stores. As stated earlier, officers may purchase their own sword. Blade is made of stainless steel for easier storage and shinier look and the handguard is brass with gold plating. No polishing or maintainance with this sword when stored in normal conditions, however a stainless blade will not withstand rough useage and if chipped a gold plated handguard will need replating or replacement. Distributor in Ireland is Protac and WKC will insist you go through them.

Pooley/ Windlass. Windlass and pooley are two different companies, however windlass makes the blades for pooley out in India and they are finished in the UK. Blade is of Carbon Steel and a brass handguard. I'm not sure what way they are tested, however this should be tougher than stainless. As per the British Army, Windlass/pooley offer a custom etching in the bottom panel of the blade. This in theory should be the tougher product, however greater care will need to be taken in storage and cleaning if the look is to preserved and that brass will require polishing. Again they have an agent in Ireland who all sales go through. Haven't sold many army pattern swords in a while due to a cadet class hiccup a number of years ago, however I'm told Pooley/Windlass swords have been bought by naval officers in recent times.

Most of the wilkinson staff went to crisp and sons who seem to manufacture to a wilkinson standard, however i hear their prices are eye watering and they aren't producing the Irish pattern at present.

Might I ask why the OP may be after such an item?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 eannamor

neilled wrote: »
    This is a rather more complex question that might seem to be initially. An officers uniform and sword are purchased privately by that officer, so once it conforms by the official pattern, then its maker is irelevant.

The irish army sword is a derivative of the 1897 british pattern, featuring the same blade with its own unique etching pattern and a much simplified guards style hilt.

Three companies produced it Wilkinson, WKC and Pooley

Wilkinson - regarded as the original and best, Wilkinson made most of the Irish armies swords right up until they went out of business in the middle part of noughties. The blade was carbon steel with a brass hilt and apparently they went through tests to ensure they could withstand combat if needed. Wilkinsons parent company got bought out by a consumer cosmetics giant who quickly decided that having a small division manufacturing 19th century weapons wasn't part of their plan, so quickly closed it down. Regarded as the best quality swords, they show up in auction houses every now and again. Expect to pay 1500+ depending on condition and who it belonged to.

WKC - a german blade manufacturer with a long and impressive history, WKC make the current "issue" sword. When I say issue, this means issued to army officers for required occassions and then returned to stores. As stated earlier, officers may purchase their own sword. Blade is made of stainless steel for easier storage and shinier look and the handguard is brass with gold plating. No polishing or maintainance with this sword when stored in normal conditions, however a stainless blade will not withstand rough useage and if chipped a gold plated handguard will need replating or replacement. Distributor in Ireland is Protac and WKC will insist you go through them.

Pooley/ Windlass. Windlass and pooley are two different companies, however windlass makes the blades for pooley out in India and they are finished in the UK. Blade is of Carbon Steel and a brass handguard. I'm not sure what way they are tested, however this should be tougher than stainless. As per the British Army, Windlass/pooley offer a custom etching in the bottom panel of the blade. This in theory should be the tougher product, however greater care will need to be taken in storage and cleaning if the look is to preserved and that brass will require polishing. Again they have an agent in Ireland who all sales go through. Haven't sold many army pattern swords in a while due to a cadet class hiccup a number of years ago, however I'm told Pooley/Windlass swords have been bought by naval officers in recent times.

Most of the wilkinson staff went to crisp and sons who seem to manufacture to a wilkinson standard, however i hear their prices are eye watering and they aren't producing the Irish pattern at present.

Might I ask why the OP may be after such an item?

An extremely valuable friend of mine has destroyed his blade while moving house and I see this as an opportunity to repay a debt :)

• Advertisement

eannamor wrote: »
    An extremely valuable friend of mine has destroyed his blade while moving house and I see this as an opportunity to repay a debt :)

A commendable move on your part. These aren't cheap and are often valued family heirlooms.

Pooley have a representative in Ireland, if you contact them, they will pass you on his details. Protac represents WKC.

May I enquire as to what type of sword he has? If its an original wilkinson then I suggest that refurbishment may be an option to preserve some of the history of the blade - even if the blade is broken then a restoration/refurbishment may be appropriate - Crisp and Sons refurbishment outfit, Sussex Swords may be of use to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

neilled wrote: »
    A commendable move on your part. These aren't cheap and are often valued family heirlooms.

Pooley have a representative in Ireland, if you contact them, they will pass you on his details. Protac represents WKC.

May I enquire as to what type of sword he has? If its an original wilkinson then I suggest that refurbishment may be an option to preserve some of the history of the blade - even if the blade is broken then a restoration/refurbishment may be appropriate - Crisp and Sons refurbishment outfit, Sussex Swords may be of use to you.

The Army got WKC to refurb its pool of Wilkinson swords there a few years ago. The difference between Pooley swords and WKC is that WKC gold plates the hilt and Pooley is just brass (brass = lots of polishing)

Pooley's rep was (and possibly is) Seamus O'Droma of Spode Limited, Summerstown, Co Meath.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭Librium

how much are these swords? 1000s?

Librium wrote: »
    how much are these swords? 1000s?

1000 and above.

Advertisement