Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shoulder injury

• 18-05-2015 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Were were doing forward rolls (over the shoulder not over the head) as part of a warmup in class a week or two ago. I think I landed badly on my left shoulder doing one and I have been on the shelf since. It sounds like a cement mixer when I do backward arm circles and its uncomfortable lying on my left side. I tend to suffer a bit from a tight neck and jaw but that has since amplified to now giving me a fair bit of bother and clicking on a regular basis. I can't see a physio til next week so could anyone who may have had similar experiences on the mat advise what I may be suffering from and if they could suggest any rehab?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Were were doing forward rolls (over the shoulder not over the head) as part of a warmup in class a week or two ago. I think I landed badly on my left shoulder doing one and I have been on the shelf since. It sounds like a cement mixer when I do backward arm circles and its uncomfortable lying on my left side. I tend to suffer a bit from a tight neck and jaw but that has since amplified to now giving me a fair bit of bother and clicking on a regular basis. I can't see a physio til next week so could anyone who may have had similar experiences on the mat advise what I may be suffering from and if they could suggest any rehab?

would you not ask your coach or failing that wait till you can see a physio, peeps on the interweb can hardly fix you up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,603 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The shoulder is a very complex joint, there's lots of muscle connections here. Nobody is going to be able to diagnose it accurately over the internet. A rotator cuff is a injury is likely though. I had similar when I was slammed on my shoulder a few weeks ago. Lots of rest and mobility work was all I could do.
    Take it easy and speak to your physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Did you feel it popping out in any way, or was it just a hard impact?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

Did you feel it popping out in any way, or was it just a hard impact?

Im not 100% sure it does pop when I do arm circles but I would say it was just the impact.

Obviously I'm not expecting a full diagnosis over the internet but since it is a BJJ/MMA related injury I just thought someone may have suffered similar and have a bit of insight while I'm waiting for a physio appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I've dislocated mine a few times so I know the deal with that. I doubt you popped it out because you'd know for sure if you did. Normally with an impact injury I'd say leave it a few days as it's probably nothing major but if it's still very painful 2 weeks after then you should get it checked with a professional. Sorry I can't be more helpful but as a poster above said the shoulder is a very complex joint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭VulcanRaving

I've dislocated mine a few times so I know the deal with that. I doubt you popped it out because you'd know for sure if you did. Normally with an impact injury I'd say leave it a few days as it's probably nothing major but if it's still very painful 2 weeks after then you should get it checked with a professional. Sorry I can't be more helpful but as a poster above said the shoulder is a very complex joint.

Thanks a lot man. Really miss training but I'm gonna play it safe and see the physio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lauren_1996

Just wondering how you got on if you've been to physio yet as it sounds a lot like a similar injury I had?

Advertisement