Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cadets/Army/Apprentices Recruitment?

• 26-07-2012 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi there. Im just new to boards. I have being Looking at a few off the threads and it has being hard to find the answers I need so sorry if I repeat questions that have being already asked.
    I'm Interested in joining the army. I have two years done in science but i hate it with two years left. I have become very interested lately about joining the army. I would be very fit because I play hurling and football and i wouldn't be the dumbest :rolleyes:. So what i really want to know is how often does recruitment occur for cadets/Defense forces and the apprenticeships?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

my advice....... join as a cadet if you have any interest in joining, if not take your degree and get a job outside!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Wouldn't the bonus points for a level 8 degree trump the bonus points for RDF membership?
    I think you are only allowed bonus points for one thing.

RDF membership wouldn't hurt though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

Pointless dumping the degree and hoping to become a cadet. It's costly for the DF to put you through NUIG for three or four years if they can recruit you with a nice shiny degree as there's a recession and there are cutbacks. Sports good; even better if you can point to having a captain/leadership role - this applies to everything you do in life BTW - as an officer is a leader. Polish up your Irish and do part of the interview in Irish. Practise those ghastly IQ test things they do now...they're difficult and important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Finish out your degree, I am also 2 years into my course. The benefits of joining as a Cadet are endless, plus if you dont like it you always have something to fall back on. Cadetships run mostly once a year and there are usually about 21 places. Its a very very tough competition and you have to be very good to get it.

Do you play Senior hurling and Football? If not, you should aim to because they love people involved in the GAA. Also you should try get involved in the RDF, it could be very hard at the moment but if you get 2 years experience under your belt when your going for the Cadetship/Enlistment it gives you extra points and you will know what to expect

You will get extra points for a degree or extra points for being in the RDF. You can get one not both. The degree is worth more.

Advertisement