Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a decent suit

Options
  • 30-05-2015 3:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Anyone know where one can buy a decent suit in Galway?
    I have an old one but it's a bit old-school baggy, and would like something a little more slim fitting.
    If rough price ranges could be added, t'would be great.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

River island?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

A decent suit will stand to you so make sure to spend to get a decent one. Hanleys and Louis Copeland, maybe Anthony Ryans would be the best shops round Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Best shop in Galway is David Elwood's Menswear in Liosbaun Ind Estate. Great eye for detail and looks after every single customer. Recommend 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Suit Republic.
    Great staff and very friendly.
    Prices from 160. 2 piece, tie, shirt, shoes €240 I paid

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best shop in Galway is David Young bespoke tailor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

biko wrote: »
    Best shop in Galway is David Young bespoke tailor.

Without doubt but worth mentioning his suits start at 1500 for bespoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Without doubt but worth mentioning his suits start at 1500 for bespoke.

Meh, OP gave no guideline on budget.

Some day I hope to have a suit tailored like that. Perfectly fitted etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Anyone know where one can buy a decent suit in Galway?
    I have an old one but it's a bit old-school baggy, and would like something a little more slim fitting.
    If rough price ranges could be added, t'would be great.
    Thanks!

WHat's your budget? Your looking at paying a few hundred at least for a good suit. Stay away from the likes of next, Dunnes, river island, pennys if you don't want to look like a student up in court.

If you are on a really tight budget, suit republic in liosbaun is your best bet otherwise try hanleys or Ryans. If you have the money bespoke is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Got my suit in Next, slim fit 3-Piece
    But David Elwood's Menswear in Liosbaun is also really good like d-gal said, where I got pocket square

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

If you're on a tight budget Marks and Spencer do decent suits.

• Advertisement

Meh, OP gave no guideline on budget.

But he did ask for guideline prices with recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

But he did ask for guideline prices with recommendations.

Best value in town is probably Louis Copeland. You'll get one of their "own label" suits (half canvas jackets) for around 600. Often significantly less in sales.

gatsby is Woodquay does some nice off the peg stuff as well.

Ryan's is mixed. Some truly awful stuff but some not bad.

Avoid River Island and those type of places if you want a quality and style that will last.

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Best value in town is probably Louis Copeland. You'll get one of their "own label" suits (half canvas jackets) for around 600. Often significantly less in sales.

If I was spending 500+ on a suit I'd go to Dublin. Way more options and bang for your buck. Louis Copeland's do have nice suits but their "own label" are made in Portugal, including the made-to-measure range. Copeland's only make your suit if you go full bespoke which starts at 1300+.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

If I was spending 500+ on a suit I'd go to Dublin. Way more options and bang for your buck. Louis Copeland's do have nice suits but their "own label" are made in Portugal, including the made-to-measure range. Copeland's only make your suit if you go full bespoke which starts at 1300+.

Agree completely. Sorry if my reference to "own label" came across as meaning they make them. They're just branded with their name. They're still fair quality for that price and about the best you'll get in Galway at that price point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

?Cee?view wrote: »

gatsby is Woodquay does some nice off the peg stuff as well.

Ryan's is mixed. Some truly awful stuff but some not bad.

Avoid River Island and those type of places if you want a quality and style that will last.

Louis Copeland are very much geared towards an older age group. Quality suits, but not at all trendy or current.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Louis Copeland are very much geared towards an older age group. Quality suits, but not at all trendy or current.

Could not disagree more, got a suit for wedding occasion last month and was complimented highly for quality and fit. I am a demanding customer and was very satisfied, recommend Robert there but all the guys are very helpful.

Have bought all my suits in Hanleys, always have a good selection of nice fitting suits at decent prices.

When I was buying my last suit last summer I had a look in Luis Copeland and had to agree their suits were more old fashioned type fits and expensive for what they were too, I couldn't find one nearly as nice as the one I got in Hanleys and the prices were starting at nearly twice as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Newport81

Have suits from both LC and Hanley's. But have always found the Hanley suits wear better over time and they have a much better selection

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭tmh106

Geraghty's - beside Galway market - have a decent selection. I got a nice two piece there for €400

tmh

Advertisement