Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move closer to work?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

Hi! All,

I am still grappling with the issue of whether to move closer to work, and would love some opinions on it again.

Commute is one hour 40 minutes - the cost is roughly e36 per day with tolls etc - diesel car. I commute ten days a month.

My kids love where we are now and love the school. Childcare is cheaper, and we have support - also all other activities are cheaper.

However, physically, I feel wrecked - I am a single parent with school-going children.

I have the opportunity to buy a house outright near my work - Donnycarney area - we had previously sold a house in Dublin.

There are a number of factors which would persuade me to move back to Dublin - the commute and how tiring it is, the money spent on diesel and car servicing - I reckon I will have 80km on my new car by end of 2013!

Against moving back - we only moved to the West a year ago - but job collapsed shortly after we moved. This is unlikely to happen with the job in Dublin as it is a permanent and pensionable government job. Also, against moving back is that my cihildren love the school here in the country and country life - it's very small - however, they have been offered the opportunity to go to a small school locally in Dublin if they wished.

Question: Is this lifestyle sustainable long-term - commuting etc. Should I commute because children like it better here - would love some opinions/advice. Maybe others have been in this position.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Time lost is time lost forever
    At the end of 2013 you'll be asking yourself the same questions you're asking now, your car bills will be huge and you'll be burning out from stress

Donneycarney is a great area with lots of activities for the kids and good schools.

Lots of buses on the Malahide Rd and you have the Dart next door in Killester

I'm not going to comment on house price trends, that's for another forum

I'd go for it.

As for the kids and the country life, well St Annes Park in Raheny is up the road, so is Bull Island and the promenade too
    More green space and facilities then you'd see in any town out west

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

(a) Work from home a couple of days a week?

(b) Rent a small flat near work and stay there 2-3 nights a week?*

* or even buy a small flat - it would be an investment and convenience for future as well as solving commute problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

I don't know how I'm going to put this without seeming to be "anti-children"...

OP you have to think of yourself. Kids are resilient and make friends wherever they are. They will, quite likely, move out at some stage to go to college / find work.

And yes, while I agree that county living is rewarding and certainly cheaper, there are advantages to living in a bigger city. Particularly as you grow older and may have to depend on public transport or be closer to hospital.

Trying not to put a downer on the week but that's just how I see it.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,722 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Do you kids really appreciate the fact that there are 3 hours per day when they don't see you, 'cos you're busy driving? Really???

'cmon ... if you work a full day, and commute for that long, then you must barely see them at all (you mention childcare, so I assume they're young enough to be going to bed fairly early).

Like the last poster said, they'll make new friends ....

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭MrDerp

The less stressed you are, and the more free time you have, the better the quality of life will be for your kids. Friends will come and go, they need their mother fit and healthy first and foremost.

Oh, and do a quick flood check for houses in Donnycarney:
    http://www.floodmaps.ie/View/GetReport.aspx?ReportID=12006

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hannaho

Hi! All, thanks for comments re. moving closer to work. Louchelad - I can't stay a few nights a week as I have primary school children, and need to be at home to see how they are, and in case anything happens.

Mr. Derp, thanks for info re flooding in Donnycarney - I can't believe that there is flooding that far up Drumcondra/Malahide Road - I thought all the flooding was near Tolka River.

Thanks for all the opinions re moving closer to work - we won't move until end of school year as so many things have to be sorted out - I'm still trying to get a job locally, and if I do, we will definitely be staying put.

Thanks again.

Advertisement