Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pki

• 22-10-2003 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

doing a small report on public key/private key security and encryption, just a few questions, am i right in saying that PGP and SSL use the PKI as part of there encryption method and that PKI is not essentially a type of encryption in it's own right?
    thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Strictly speaking it depends on your definition of "type of encryption", because you could mean "type of encryption system" or "type of encryption algorithm". But that's just being anal and I'm guessing you meant the latter, in which case the clue is in the name: I is for infrastructure, so PKI is an encryption /system/. PGP specifically can use several encryption algorithms: CAST, IDEA, Triple-DES, and Twofish.

HTH,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

PKI is an encryption key management system.

PKI is also a horrible idea. The costs generally outway the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

PKI is an authentication mechanism that uses digital signatures certified by a trusted third party, i.e. the whole point is that you rely on a certificate because you trust the third party who has certified it. The encryption is really irrelevent, that's just mechanics.

PGP uses a different method of authentication, namely circle of trust. It's akin to a chain of certification, rather than PKI which is more pyramid like.

SSL is a form of PKI essentially, but don't say that too loudly or everyone gets confused.

Advertisement