Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What time will the queues start outside the petrol station

Options
  • 06-12-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭

I presume as soon as Michael Noonan mentions fuel going up the queues start outside every garage in the country so people can save 50 cent on a fill up.

People even with half full tanks seem to go and top up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

yep expect your right.Same thing with price per litre in most instance from garage to garage. why drive 4 miles and back for a fillup to save 2-3c on a litre. You will spend your savings just getting there, at least on most petrol engines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Trampas wrote: »
    I presume as soon as Michael Noonan mentions fuel going up the queues start outside every garage in the country so people can save 50 cent on a fill up.

I genuinely need to get some petrol and will be going before Noonan has his merry with us. But I do laugh at the people burning petrol as they queue to save pennys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Firstly if he did hit fuel today with either the 3c carbon tax or an excise duty increase it would be close to €2.50 a fill. And to quite a few people thats a very worthwhile saving.

More relevant is the fact that its not a given that fuel will go up today, I would expect that it doesn't to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Filled up this morning in a reasonably priced garage and there was a consistent flow of cars going in. I guess everybody was filling up early like myself before the queues tonight.

@ Hammertime - I hope you're right, but I won't be suprised at the least if it's just petrol that gets hit and diesel gets left alone.On the radio I heard theres an increase in this stupidly called "Carbon tax" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

It's the same every year. There's a reasonable chance it will go up so just go fill up now if you need to. It's not exactly gonna plummet in price anyway. I used to work filling cars in a petrol station and come budget day at about 6pm the place would be overrun with panickers filling cars and extra containers like it was the bloody zombie apocalypse, fighting over pumps and causing mayhem. It was in a particularly expensive petrol station too. I made a shedload of tips on budget day funnily enough, getting maybe €1 or 2 from most, these are the folk who were there trying to save as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Remember that fuel duty is NOT a sales tax and is applied when the tanker is filled - and every tanker in the country will be filled to the brim tonight. Any petrol station upping their prices tonight/tomorrow is almost certainly ripping you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

€3.90 on a fill in my car if it goes up by 6c a litre as expected. And I fill my car every 6 days or so. So forgive me for trying to save a few quid...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Remember that fuel duty is NOT a sales tax and is applied when the tanker is filled - and every tanker in the country will be filled to the brim tonight. Any petrol station upping their prices tonight/tomorrow is almost certainly ripping you off.

Isn't it a change from midnight with the budget, not from the petrol station refilling? That's between the fuel/carbon tax and VAT changes.

If it's a fuel company increase on fuel then you're right, it would be from when the petrol station gets a refill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

fill up if you need but people will fill up a quart tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I actually need petrol but every time I pass a station today it has a huge queue outside it! I'll probably try again this evening, I may as well get a few extra miles for my money rather than wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Fey! wrote: »
    Isn't it a change from midnight with the budget, not from the petrol station refilling? That's between the fuel/carbon tax and VAT changes.

If it's a fuel company increase on fuel then you're right, it would be from when the petrol station gets a refill.

An increase in fuel excise duty is applied from midnight on Budget night (usually) to all fuel leaving bonded storage from that time. In the case of petrol/diesel, this is for any fuel transferred after this time from the storage tanks at the port to the delivery tanker. Every tanker in the country will be full to the brim tonight. Only fuel transferred after midnight is subject to higher fuel duty. In practicality, most petrol for sale for the next few days was bought at the 'old' price by the petrol station. If they up the price, they're creaming off the 'rise' for themselves. This applies to excise duty - I am not 100% certain about carbon tax, but I'd be very surprised if it was applied differently. VAT is a different story - that is a sales tax (and usually isn't applied until January).

BTW, this also goes for booze and fags. Where a rise in excise on these is expected (it doesn't seem to be overly expected this year), you can be sure every shop in the country has their stock rooms packed to the rafters with booze and smokes, which they bought at the old price, but sell at the new price, pocketing the 'duty rise' for themselves. Tesco were nabbed for this a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Passed at least 50 stations today and no queues. Filled up myself in a busy station(normally) at 1.43.9 for Derv.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

An increase in fuel excise duty is applied from midnight on Budget night (usually) to all fuel leaving bonded storage from that time. In the case of petrol/diesel, this is for any fuel transferred after this time from the storage tanks at the port to the delivery tanker. Every tanker in the country will be full to the brim tonight. Only fuel transferred after midnight is subject to higher fuel duty. In practicality, most petrol for sale for the next few days was bought at the 'old' price by the petrol station. If they up the price, they're creaming off the 'rise' for themselves. This applies to excise duty - I am not 100% certain about carbon tax, but I'd be very surprised if it was applied differently. VAT is a different story - that is a sales tax (and usually isn't applied until January).

BTW, this also goes for booze and fags. Where a rise in excise on these is expected (it doesn't seem to be overly expected this year), you can be sure every shop in the country has their stock rooms packed to the rafters with booze and smokes, which they bought at the old price, but sell at the new price, pocketing the 'duty rise' for themselves. Tesco were nabbed for this a few years ago.

Thanks for the clarification; I always thought that the duty was at the pump rather than at the depot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I filled up this morning but to be honest I didn't even think about the impending rise - filled it cause it was near empty and whether it costs €95 or €102 (:() it'll have to be done next week again too

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Passed at least 50 stations today and no queues. Filled up myself in a busy station(normally) at 1.43.9 for Derv.

143.9 i cant remember when the last time i seen it close to that tbh :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Excellent
    Looks like its only the CO2 taxes going up.
    This should go some way to balance the inequality
    The car tax scale based on emissions will go up, incl €104 to €160 and €156 to €225. This should bring in around €50m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Excellent
    Looks like its only the CO2 taxes going up.
    This should go some way to balance the inequality
    Ugh... I stand corrected :mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

Prices didn't go up round here anyway. Still 148.9 for petrol and 146.9 for diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Went for a spin yesterday and ended up in Dingle, filled up with Diesel at 144.9c. Always amazes me how stations in the back of beyonds (access and distance-wise) are very often significantly cheaper than pumps much closer to the refineries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

two local petrol stations have a 7cent per liter differance in them! one is 140.9 the other is 147.9!! maybe 5 miles or less apart

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Did a good 500kms today and didn't notice any great shakes in the pricing. Nobody seemed to have put up their prices(not that I know everybodies pricing).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

same in my locals 145.9 and 147.9

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Yeah I havent noticed any increase in the prices either! There is still time people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Noonan could get a car that runs on his sarcasm :rolleyes: Honestly he is like our headmaster and we are his pupils "If I wrote it up in black and white ye still wouldn't get it" :rolleyes:

Advertisement