Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rolling Road in Munster region?

• 01-06-2010 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if there are any rolling road dynos within a 60km radius in any direction of Mitchelstown?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Can I ask what you want a rolling road for? Also, what car/engine is it?

If it's for a race engine in something "different", I can think of an excellent rolling road and more important, excellent operator in Cork City.

If it's not a race/rally car, he probably won't touch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭5500

I dont know cork at all but xtreme auto's in waterford have one

http://www.xtremeautos.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭vectra

As far as I know Mossie Hanley in Kilworth has a rolling road..
    What spec it is I am uncertain but a phone call should sort you or a quick trip over to him ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Thanks for all the answers lads. No its just for my road car. I'm thinking of getting it remapped, air intake, exhaust and possibly changing the cams so I want to know what i'm starting out with in the first place. It seems a bit down on power low down in the rev range. Its only a 1.8 Alfa 156 so dont worry it wont tear the machine apart! It's rated as 140bhp but i doubt its getting that at the moment.

Kilworth would be perfect for me. Any idea how much a dyno run costs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

samsemtex wrote: »
    Thanks for all the answers lads. No its just for my road car. I'm thinking of getting it remapped, air intake, exhaust and possibly changing the cams so I want to know what i'm starting out with in the first place. It seems a bit down on power low down in the rev range. Its only a 1.8 Alfa 156 so dont worry it wont tear the machine apart! It's rated as 140bhp but i doubt its getting that at the moment.

if thats a 156 up to 01, then RR will cost you more then car worth...

Anyway, i heard some new garadge opened with RR in cork city, dont know the location, but a few lads here should know where is it.

• Advertisement

if thats a 156 up to 01, then RR will cost you more then car worth...

:confused: - your point?

Anyway its a 2004.

No idea
    give Mossy a ring and ask
    (025) 27147

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Go to xtremeautos in waher-ford if you want to feel good about yourself :D

vectra wrote: »
    No idea
    give Mossy a ring and ask
    (025) 27147

His rolling road doesnt have a output so thats no good to me.

His rolling road doesnt have a output so thats no good to me.

Didnt know that.. Only heard he had a road.
    No prob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 benny_cakes

Cork Institute of Technology has one also ......PM me if you want the contacts name. Not sure if he does road cars but he definately does rally cars.

Tom Casey race engines in west waterford is supposed to have one also.

Westward engineering in meath have one also & are supposed to be one of the best & do a load of rally & racing cars. If you google them you'll find there website.

To be honest Westward engineering is your best bet as i would be very suprised if the 1st 2 would even look at a road car.

Tom Casey race engines in west waterford is supposed to have one also.

I didnt think Tom had one.. No better man to advise you on your engine either ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

OP, forget about it and buy a 2.0. It will be cheaper in the long run.....

If you're swapping cam (BTW, where are you getting cams for a 1.8 Alfa?) etc you'll need to alter the fueling map. The car's ECU more than likely won't have the correct map so you'll have to get an aftermarket ECU (Omex, DTA etc). You'll have to leave the standard ECU in place for the immobiliser and wiring will be an issue.

You'll probably have to swap injectors as well, and maybe get a 2.0 or a 3.0 rad for cooling. Your fuel consumption will increase, and the car won't like driving in town (may foul up if left idle for a while). Will the gearbox take the extra grunt? What about the brakes?

So, after paying for the cam (€400 I guess for two) exhaust (€200 maybe) Sports Cat (€350) ECU (€600) rolling road (€500 to 750), you'll be left with a car worth less than a standard one, a larger insurnace bill (you'll have to tell them about the performace mods), a larger fuel consumption than a 2.0, and the road tax on the 2.0 isn't that much larger than a 1.8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ianobrien wrote: »

If you're swapping cam (BTW, where are you getting cams for a 1.8 Alfa?) etc you'll need to alter the fueling map. The car's ECU more than likely won't have the correct map so you'll have to get an aftermarket ECU (Omex, DTA etc). You'll have to leave the standard ECU in place for the immobiliser and wiring will be an issue.

You'll probably have to swap injectors as well, and maybe get a 2.0 or a 3.0 rad for cooling. Your fuel consumption will increase, and the car won't like driving in town (may foul up if left idle for a while). Will the gearbox take the extra grunt? What about the brakes?

So, after paying for the cam (€400 I guess for two) exhaust (€200 maybe) Sports Cat (€350) ECU (€600) rolling road (€500 to 750), you'll be left with a car worth less than a standard one, a larger insurnace bill (you'll have to tell them about the performace mods), a larger fuel consumption than a 2.0, and the road tax on the 2.0 isn't that much larger than a 1.8.

Amen/+1

I dont see point on doing performance mods on "buckets"(bucket as in performance type, no offence :d ) like this, if you really whant extra power, get something more suitable for performance tuning.

Or even better, leave your alfa for daily driving, and get something mad, on which you can work. You cant squize much out of N/a engine, specially alfa like that, you will do more harm to it. If you really seriuos about doing up alfa, theres a lad in "modified section" who has some really mad turbo alfa, and if i remember correctly he is selling his old turbo engine...

ianobrien wrote: »

What?! €500 for a dyno run? You have to be joking. £500 to £750 just to check horsepower and torque. I cannot imagine that is accurate.

I'm not really concerned about the other issues you have raised. This is an ongoing topic on the AlfaOwner forums and many people have completed it successfully at a fraction of the costs you are talking about. There would be no need to change anything to do with cooling, injectors and while a remap is necessary it is not necessary straight away. those who have done it have said their cars idle perfectly.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/208439-drumming-up-interest-group-buy-performance-cams-2-0-and.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What?! €500 for a dyno run? You have to be joking. £500 to £750 just to check horsepower and torque. I cannot imagine that is accurate.

Its accurate as if you did all those mods you would need a mapping session on the dyno,so you would be paying for the mapping too.

I'm not really concerned about the other issues you have raised. This is an ongoing topic on the AlfaOwner forums and many people have completed it successfully at a fraction of the costs you are talking about.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-and-upgrades/208439-drumming-up-interest-group-buy-performance-cams-2-0-and.html

A simple dyno run to measure max power is cheaper, that price is for a full rolling road session with mapping. With the cam swap, you'll need to change the fueling map and that's what the full rolling road session is for.

A simple dyno run is only useful for "down in the pub".

If you change cams etc and leave the car on standard fueling, it'll be running lean at some parts of the rev range which will lead to engine damage. You can drive it on the standard map, but you won't be getting the best from the mods.

Leave it on standard fueling if you want, it's your pistons that will suffer eventually.....

tossy wrote: »
    Its accurate as if you did all those mods you would need a mapping session on the dyno,so you would be paying for the mapping too.

Well yeah but jesus you gave me a shock there. I havent done anything to the car yet and i only want to find out what it is currently putting out.

those who have done it have said their cars idle perfectly.

I'm talking about leaving the car idle for a while (as in traffic), and it'll start to foul up. I'm not talking about a smooth idle, I'm talking about it fouling up after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

Hi lads, I have a DTA E48 ecu and I'll be looking for somebody to map it in the new year.

Its for a VW abf engine with Jenvey throttle bodies.

I don't have a base map to get the car running so will need someone to do it from scratch, in Cork preferably.

Cheers Murph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

7006325_Old%20Thread%20Alert.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement