Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sscp

Options
  • 19-10-2003 10:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

I'm interested in doing the new sscp exam & I'm just wondering if any one has any expercience doing it or if they have any views about it for the person who wants to move into the security side of things :horned:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Also interested in that exam but apart from reading Info of the web I dont have much im afraid , sorry.

One that their seems to get attention in USA, whether its because of its repution or due to the fact its an older exam is the exam

CISSP

its worth looking into anyways ....... if you dont persue the other

I would be interested if you get any material on the SSCP tho aswell , I had a quick trall on web and didnt get much in the way of decent guides but again im not persueing this actively atm just keeping them earmarked for the future

Best of luck tho

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

just some info i thought I should add on retrospect for those that are unsure about the above.

Here is an extract from the ISC2 Web Site:

SSCP Certification was designed to recognize an international standard for practitioners of information security [IS] and understanding of a Common Body of Knowledge (CBK). It focuses on practices, roles and responsibilities as defined by experts from major IS industries. Certification can enhance an IS career and provide added credibility.

SSCP Exam Structure
    The SSCP Certification examination consists of 125 multiple-choice questions. Candidates have up to 3 hours to complete the examination. Seven SSCP information systems security test domains are covered in the examination pertaining to the Common Body of Knowledge:

Access Controls
    Administration
    Audit and Monitoring
    Risk, Response and Recovery
    Cryptography
    Data Communications
    Malicious Code/Malware

For further detail regarding SSCP Certification, please refer to the SSCP White Paper posted on the ISC2 web site at:
    http://www.isc2.org/cgi-bin/content.cgi?page=34

..............and a post of another in relation to...

Over the past several months, among other things, I have spent significant time in preparing for the SSCP exam. The SSCP CBK covers much of the same content as the CISSP, albeit with a more technical focus. See the ISC2 study guides. On Aug 9, I sat for the SSCP exam and await the results.

Based on my experience in everyday project life, exam preparation, and examination, the SSCP credential should become increasingly more recognized for the respectable value that it is. Few, if any, other mid-level(not fundamental or basic) credentials offer both recognition of one's mastery of the CBK areas and offer that recognition from ISC2.

As one who must design and implement network architectures and portals, mastery of that which is covered by the SSCP CBK is essential. The CBK domains are "right on" when it comes to the real-life issues of doing this type of work.

Lastly, the SSCP CBK excels on the practical and implementation side of things. Where SANS topical certifications are good for their respective areas, the SSCP is up a level requiring the candidate to be able to correlate the interoperability requirements and issues related to infosec implementations. The SSCP study guide domain introductions highlight some of these areas. There is room for both SANS and ISC2 credentials, and I would highly recommend that any senior administrator/consultant work to achieve the SSCP certification from the ISC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

When I was studying for the CISSP I found www.cccure.org to be very useful. If the SSCP guides are as good as their CISSP counterparts then you will find them helpful.

Good luck with it.

Bogobot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

cheers guys

I currently work in a role that is basically security related (mainly mainframe) but also look after unix/nt/2000/oracle & a whole host of different systems (at last count 45) etc but I would like to get the sscp under the belt to be more "sellable" in the job market as well as earning a few extra euro a year ;)

correct me if I'm wrong but its like a stepping stone to the cissp?

anyone know how tough the exam is or were its held in the Dublin area?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Originally posted by phoenix2181
    but I would like to get the sscp under the belt to be more "sellable" in the job market as well as earning a few extra euro a year ;)

correct me if I'm wrong but its like a stepping stone to the cissp?

anyone know how tough the exam is or were its held in the Dublin area?
    There's very few SSCPs out there, and none that I know of in Ireland (check out www.isc2.org for statistics). I'm not sure how sellable it really is with such small market knowledge, if you were looking for an entry level certification I'd lean towards security+ perhaps.

ISC2 are also in their infinite muppetness offering a "CISSP associate" program which allows people take the CISSP exam who don't have the necessary experience requirements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

Being a CISSP, i can tell you the SSCP and CISSP are vastly different. The CISSP exam is 6 hours long, the SSCP is 1.5 hours. There are 250 questions on the CISSP exam, only 125-150 on the SSCP. The requirements for taking the CISSP exam are also increasing. Currently you need 3 years experience or more in at least one of the 10 domains and a Degree, or 4 years experience in one or more of the 10 Domains. After passing you may also be audited to prove you have the experience you say you have and you will also have to get sponsored by another CISSP or professional body. For 2004 the requirements are going up.

The Associate program is for people who don't have the experience yet but would like to sit the exam. The do not qualify for the cert until they make up the requirements, they are also subjected to audits. In addition to all these you must earn 120 CPEs, Continuing Professional Education points, if you don't meet these you lose the cert.

There are also three additional concentrations, ISSEP, ISSAP and ISSMP, you need your CISSP before you can even sit these exams. I sat the ISSEP a few weeks ago, fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭quinta

In addition the exams are held once a year in Ireland in Kildare, usually on September 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭phoenix2181

Thanks quinta...good luck with the results! :)

Advertisement