Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protect Your PC...

• 17-10-2003 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

Getting Broad Band installed at home, and this is the first time my home pc will be online for more than a weekend at LAN.

I have heard a shed load of scare stories about websites installing stuff onto your pc without your knowledge, viruses from playing online games, and all sorts of other nasties i'd rather avoid!

My question is this; where can i get software to protect my pc, ie: firewalls, anti virus etc.. at the moment i have Norton Anti virus, and i run live update when i can. From what i have read, windows itself offers no reasonable security, so what can i do?

Thanks

Falgorn.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

i wouldnt worry about it u have nortions thats aboyut all u need

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

This belongs in one of the technology forums - moved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would recommend getting..

- Anti Virus software

- Firewall (ZoneAlarm, hardware one is better though)

- Ad-Aware or Spy Sweeper

After that, install every windows update and disable active-X.

Actually I'd say go with Mozilla as well (www.mozilla.org) as IE has a number of "Give some muppet full access" bugs in it which MS haven't bothered to fix yet.

Also disable the messenger server (used for admin alerts).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Good - now you have BB you might be able to stay patched...

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

Also have a look through all the stickies and treads on this forum for this month and last month - also might help to disable unneeded services. Also use a password or rename the Admin account, so no one can remotely connect to your machine if the firewall fails. (eg: since Zone Alarm loads after the network driver in theory you could be vulunerable for about 3 seconds... )

And as for that comment about norton AV being all you need ..
    Viruses are not the only problem.

Advertisement