Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ford Focus with nasty scratches

• 04-07-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭

So I bought a 09 Ford Focus this morning, really nice car except for some nasty scratches along the passenger side, previous owner must have lived in a small country lane way I'd say as the drivers side, bonnet and back of the car are in perfect order.

Anyhow I've attached photos you can see there there is one white mark that seemed to come out with a rub of a finger.

I'm collecting it Friday so will have the weekend to work on it.

Have a DA so will be working with some compounds and finish up with Collinite.

Any advice on Ford paint? Is it hard/soft??

The scratches are prob a job for a pro but will see how I get on first.

Bought a karcher steam cleaner which I can't wait to use in the interior :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

No pictures??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Curran wrote: »
    No pictures??

Aw ****e, gimme a bit and I'll do it off the laptop! Phone uploads must not have worked!

Ford paint is middle of the road in terms of hardness, so I'd go straight in with a medium pad and polish and see how that goes. Some of those scratches are pretty nasty, but you will be able to improve on the appearance drastically. You'll get a lot of light scratches out, and improve on the appearance of the deeper ones by rounding the edges.
    Its hard to tell in the first picture (long scratch), if the paint is broken or if its a mark caused by something that ran along the side of the car; such as a kids bike or shopping trolley (and its plastic transfer), if its the latter, it should come off easily with a light pass of the DA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Curran wrote: »
    Ford paint is middle of the road in terms of hardness, so I'd go straight in with a medium pad and polish and see how that goes. Some of those scratches are pretty nasty, but you will be able to improve on the appearance drastically. You'll get a lot of light scratches out, and improve on the appearance of the deeper ones by rounding the edges.
    Its hard to tell in the first picture (long scratch), if the paint is broken or if its a mark caused by something that ran along the side of the car; such as a kids bike or shopping trolley (and its plastic transfer), if its the latter, it should come off easily with a light pass of the DA.

Thanks Curran I will report back Friday with my findings and outcome !

The paint is lacking any sort of depth, shine and gloss...so even if the scratches dont improve massively, its worth the effort, as from a few feet away, the overall appearance will be much better!

Be sure to take a few before and after pictures! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement