Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ridge covering for steel shed roof

Options
  • 16-07-2014 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I have an 8' × 4' timber garden shed with a metal pitched roof. The roof has fairly light timber covering the ridge where both sides of the roof meet. The timber is now starting to break down and I want to replace it with something that won't require maintenance. I was thinking of a sheet of light aluminium that I could cut and bend to form a ridge covering. Anyone know where I might get something like this? I am in limerick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

Just get a steel ridge cap from a place that makes sheds or maybe a co-op?
    Fix it on with tek screws with rubber washers.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭king2

Ok thanks, I'll try a shed supplier, do you mean co-op superstore?

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Oliver Lynch , Cladding sales Glanmire . Cork . I fomed a triangle to the shape of the ridge with 3 short lengths of 2 x 1 and they shaped a ridge piece to this , Approx 10' in length and € 15 .

Thanks but I was trying to stay away from timber as it was a nuisance having to go up and put preservative on it every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Any local welding and engineering shop will bend a piece of light gauge Galvanised steel to suit.

• Advertisement

where would I get the steel though? Can only see the corrugated stuff advertised, dont think that would suit

What you looking for is 16 gauge Gal Steel sheet.

Any sheet metal company that does ducting for ventilation etc will have it in stock.
    Bring the angle you want it bent or bend a piece of wire to the angle for them to determine the angle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Is there something wrong with the posters suggestion in post #2 ?

Yes there is. Price for a start and required angle to properly fit the roof.
    People who sell sheds will only have a set ridge angle to suit their sheds.
    A local engineering shop will have a press and folder and will bend it to any angle he wants. Probably out of an off cut from a previous job.
    He can use Tek Screw to fix but I'm not a fan of drilling surfaces which are meant to keep out Water.

Maybe the best thing is to hire in an engineer and architect and do a site survey and do detailed engineered drawings and plans. A replica shed could be built and put through a wind tunnel and a specific capping be engineered. The engineers could invent a new system of fixing the capping to the shed since using tex screws is not a good idea by some yet everyone does it.
    OR you could go to the builders merchants or a dairygold co-op buy one length of capping that they use for capping zinc roofs. This capping flexs to various angles and will do the job 100%. Screw it down with tex screws. This fooling around getting engineering firms to make a bespoke capping is lubricious.

• Advertisement

Sometimes if you've nothing constructive to offer the OP then you're better off keeping quiet.
    The Op asked for a maintenance free solution to his problem.
    There's a reason the co op Capping's flext i'ts because the metal in them is too light. There usually only coated and will degrade quickly.
    So you now have an inferior product that I'm sure will cost more from a co op than a lasting solution form a professional.
    Yes the co op capping will do a job,But for how long. Not what the op asked for.

There are various grades of steel thickness of capping, the thickest capping will outlive that shed.

Well I went ahead and ordered a ridge cap from a shed supplier, not cheap at €35 but by the time I probably would have been finished with the other methods may be the handiest way out

Advertisement