Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need help with wiring my CAT5e splitter 2 to 1 RJ45

Options
  • 05-07-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I'm quite tired, foreign and don't really know of what I'm trying to achieve is possible or quite two to do it... Figured I'd just record quick little video with problem and one of you geniuses can figure out if this is possible. I did read .. or skim somewhere (Ih ave upc 120meg and technicolor 7200 router). is that it should be possible to use two ethernet cables on one port and they'll just be able to do 100meg but I dont mind the extra 20.

sorry for the jumbled post but AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. I thought It'd be easy cause I could crimp.

sec tying to get the bloo.. url right

i can take some photos of these... the ethernet cables confused me at first..cause they're not alll candy cane coloured. thought it was a scam but.. if you figure out the solution for this terrible explanation of my little problem then you are a super genius. godspeed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Rickard wrote: »
    I'm quite tired, foreign and don't really know of what I'm trying to achieve is possible or quite two to do it... Figured I'd just record quick little video with problem and one of you geniuses can figure out if this is possible. I did read .. or skim somewhere (Ih ave upc 120meg and technicolor 7200 router). is that it should be possible to use two ethernet cables on one port and they'll just be able to do 100meg but I dont mind the extra 20.

sorry for the jumbled post but AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. I thought It'd be easy cause I could crimp.

sec tying to get the bloo.. url right

i can take some photos of these... the ethernet cables confused me at first..cause they're not alll candy cane coloured. thought it was a scam but.. if you figure out the solution for this terrible explanation of my little problem then you are a super genius. godspeed.

Madness. What you're trying to do is ridiculous, You do not split Ethernet, you use a switch. Get a simple 5 or 8 port Ethernet switch should cost around a tenner online.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

1 cable, 1 device on either end. If that device happens to be a switch, other devices can connect to that and communicate through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you really want to it's easy enough when you know a few things :

- the wires are in pairs twisted together <blue & blue/white> <green & green/white >

- to get 100MB you only need 2 pairs

- only pins 1,2,3 and 6 are needed for 100MB

- 1 & 2 are a "pair" , 3 & 6 are a "pair"

If your sockets are colour coded do it this way :
    socket 1 :

green & green/white markings
    green & green/white pair of wires

orange & orange/white markings
    orange & orange/white pair of wires
    socket 2

blue & blue/white pairof wires

brown & brown/white pair of wires

like this - your socket may be different

Yc4lHgn.png

not the thing to be doing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

gctest50 wrote: »
    If you really want to it's easy enough when you know a few things :

- the wires are in pairs twisted together <blue & blue/white> <green & green/white >

- to get 100MB you only need 2 pairs

- only pins 1,2,3 and 6 are needed for 100MB

- 1 & 2 are a "pair" , 3 & 6 are a "pair"

If your sockets are colour coded do it this way :

like this - your socket may be different

Yc4lHgn.png

not the thing to be doing though

This will not work with both at the same time, auto-negotiation between the end device and the router selects 10/100 Ethernet and disables two pairs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

This will not work with both at the same time, auto-negotiation between the end device and the router selects 10/100 Ethernet and disables two pairs

Of course not - you do the same at the other end

Not recommended at all though for many reasons

- yer going backwards - run another cable n get over it

- get a small gigabit switch instead of messing

- just don't do it

etc etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,527 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

gctest50 wrote: »
    Of course not - you do the same at the other end

Not recommended at all though for many reasons

- yer going backwards - run another cable n get over it

- get a small gigabit switch instead of messing

- just don't do it

etc etc

This can never work with devices. All this allows one is "split" a network cable and allow two devices to share a cable run. Or if one wanted two network ports on the wall but there was only one cable in the wall.

We used to use them to allow two devices to share a single port on the patch panel. But switches are sooo cheap now it hardly worth it anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Splitters come in a matched pair, one for splitting and one for merging.

Here's an example:
    FQP430DO1NEP27ZK4R.MEDIUM.jpg

Advertisement