Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortal Kombat X discussion thread

Options
  • 28-05-2014 11:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭

Ed Boon's been dropping all sorts of hints and teases about a new MK on his Twitter page lately. We all know how he loves to be cryptic (Kryptic?) about this kinda stuff and warm things up before a big announcement. However, apparently this poster just showed up online, showing a busted spine. This is coupled with some kind of countdown that Boon's been talking about (or almost not talking about) lately.
    Anyone who knows me knows how mental I am about the franchise, so taking for granted that this is the start of the information on the next Mortal Kombat game, I'm practically bouncing off the walls here!
    1401301886-next-mortal-kombat.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

46263d1376153547-mortal-kombat-9-modding-universe-barakaanimationmortalkombat-2.gif

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Would be gas if it really was Injustice 2 at this point...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

or season 3 of mk youtube series! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Would be gas if it really was Injustice 2 at this point...

Given Boon's trolling track record, I root be surprised. He did say last year that if Injustice sold well (which I'd imagine it did) then his next game wouldn't be a fighter. I guess there's a chance that this could be a MK:SM situation, but I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Get ready for disappointment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

Nutrient wrote: »
    Get ready for disappointment
    with what??

This is as good a time as any to start speculating about what Monday'sa nnouncement will bring. Any ideas? I'm wondering where exactly the story will go, considering the bulk of the game's cast were killed off. I'd imagine Raiden will have to battle Quan Chi for their souls before anything can really happen. If not, it'll be a bit of a barren landscape if they keep that many fan favourites dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

deathrider wrote: »
    This is as good a time as any to start speculating about what Monday'sa nnouncement will bring. Any ideas? I'm wondering where exactly the story will go, considering the bulk of the game's cast were killed off. I'd imagine Raiden will have to battle Quan Chi for their souls before anything can really happen. If not, it'll be a bit of a barren landscape if they keep that many fan favourites dead.

I wonder if this what everyone is expecting personally

I'm curious to see if this'll be a sequel to MK9 or something complete seperate to a fighter within MK universe

I'd imagine it'll be a straight sequel, but of course, it's all just speculation at the moment. I'd love to see what that team would/could do if they stepped outside of the fighting genre though.

I'm just hoping the game is PS3/Xbox360 as opposed to XboxOne/PS4.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Considering all the mk x teasers if say it'll be a fighter.

How comic book is death in the mk universe? Will people blink if they find a way to roll back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Considering all the mk x teasers if say it'll be a fighter.

How comic book is death in the mk universe? Will people blink if they find a way to roll back?
    Wasn't the entire concept of MK9's plot a gigantic rollback? I'd say pretty much everyone would be happy with bringing everyone back anyway. As much as everyone liked the story mode in that game, they generally like the characters more than the story itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Sairus wrote: »
    Wasn't the entire concept of MK9's plot a gigantic rollback? I'd say pretty much everyone would be happy with bringing everyone back anyway. As much as everyone liked the story mode in that game, they generally like the characters more than the story itself.

There's still a lot that can happen in the MK universe post MK9 imo.
    The characters that died in MK9 story have gone to the Netherealm, as per Shao Kahn's deal with Quan Chi. Shinnok is now the power-player continuing the story directly, but that's not to say there are feck all other things happening.
    If I were to guess, I'd say we would be seeing General Reiko trying to fill Kahn's shoes, probably an appearance from Fujin and not to mention Kenshi who wasn't even mentioned in the MK9 story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

How many new characters were in MK9?

Freddie excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Kuro Tao

Freddie excluded.

1 iirc. Cyber Sub Zero. Even then, pseudo-new.

Edit: Forgot Skarlet. The other DLC character nobody really cared about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Sareena and Li Mei pls

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Mk web series or iOS version. Hype!

Kuro Tao wrote: »
    There's still a lot that can happen in the MK universe post MK9 imo.
    The characters that died in MK9 story have gone to the Netherealm, as per Shao Kahn's deal with Quan Chi. Shinnok is now the power-player continuing the story directly, but that's not to say there are feck all other things happening.
    If I were to guess, I'd say we would be seeing General Reiko trying to fill Kahn's shoes, probably an appearance from Fujin and not to mention Kenshi who wasn't even mentioned in the MK9 story.

I reckon Reiko should have a big part to play alright. Also, we saw Shinnok pulling the strings at the end of the alst one, so it'll take a hell of a twist for him not to be the title's big bad. Although, Shang Tsung and Quan Chi could easily "Deadly Allicance" him out of the picture.

Freddie excluded.

Nobody really (not including DLC). But that was the whole point, bringing the series back to basics.

Also, someone mentioned MK being comic booky- I have to agree. I always thought it was that way, and people coming back from beyond the grave is nothing new in the Kombat universe.

b50628ca85f5c93578dd231d4fe761cc806ef659.jpg

Not liking the X part. I hope there's a sub title instead. According to 1Man3Letters, the annoucment trailer should be up around 12 or 1pm tomorrow.
    EDIT: Which is technically today, as it's about 3am at the moment.

Not liking the X part. I hope there's a sub title instead. According to 1Man3Letters, the annoucment trailer should be up around 12 or 1pm tomorrow.
    EDIT: Which is technically today, as it's about 3am at the moment.

GMT?

• Advertisement

Boon just confirmed that the title is indeed Mortal Kombat X (boo!) on his Twitter feed. No sign of a trailer or anything else yet though.

Trailer's up:

Hold onto your eyebrows, boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The music in the trailer so does not suit Mortal Kombat, but the X-Ray moves looked cool.

EDIT - Is it Wiz Khalifa.

Thoughts:

Stage Interactables all over the place, including an ice sword that looks like it might be used like cody's knife.
    Heavy use of counters.
    Scorpion looks awesome.
    Music was incredibly out of place.
    Hold onto your eyebrows, boys!
    Soooo sloooooooow

music 2 crunk.

Soooo sloooooooow

Had the post ready to go and waiting for Boon to post the trailer... then I got distracted by watching the trailer a few times.

Playstation have a tweet up claiming that MKX is coming to both PS3 and PS4. I'm happy to hear that.

Also, could one of the mods change the name of this thread to Mortal Kombat X please.

EDIT: According to Gamspot, Warner Bros. said that the game will be available on PS3, PS4, Xbox360, Xbox One and PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

PC version of MK9 Ultimate Edition is €5 on steam, Injustice is €7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Box Art

10410431_10152212724181633_7122698555245808953_n.jpg

Advertisement