Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing web hosting provider mid contract?

Options
  • 23-10-2013 3:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭

So I have a website registered with a web hosting company who cannot be named on this forum due to previous threads. Over the last few weeks I noticed I was not receiving replies to a lot of my emails. I contacted my hosting company and they told me that their mail servers have been blacklisting by hotmail and they are trying to fix it. I have certainly lost business and money due to this and am very pissed off that they didn't inform anyone what had happened.

I now want to change hosting providers. I am mid contract, my hosting runs in March 2014. Is their any precedent for cancelling it and getting refunded for the remaining months? I want to transfer to a new provider. Also on that note, any recommendations for good hosting providers?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Is it a shared hosting plan? If so I'd just cut your losses and move to a better host.
    Also on that note, any recommendations for good hosting providers?

Afraid it's against the forum rules to say.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Cut and run but don't count on a refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Also on that note, any recommendations for good hosting providers?

The only guidance available on boards is here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53028341&postcount=2

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 2,588 Mod ✭✭✭✭KonFusion

Also don't forget you're site may require a specific server architecture to run (Windows/Linux/Apache etc)

If it's wordpress, you'll want Linux/Apache

Some irish hosts (read: Bastards) do not have Apache setups, and you're only option is Zeus. Avoid these like the plague.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

+++++100

Some poor bugger only got caught with that yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

KonFusion wrote: »
    Is it a shared hosting plan? If so I'd just cut your losses and move to a better host.

Afraid it's against the forum rules to say.

Apologies I didn't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭9wetfckx43j5rg

Thanks for the advice, it looks like it's been fixed as of this evening but I think this has been going on for at least two weeks. Highly bad form to not tell the client if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Use Sendgrid for your mail instead of relying on your webserver's mail function, I think they offer a free service that allows the user send up to 200 mails per day.

I had the exact same issue as OP and swithced over to Sendgrid, it cost a few quid to get someone on elance who was familiar with the API to set it up, but it was wort every cent - it pretty much guarantees 100% of your mail will get through, you also get reports on volume sent, click throughs, mail opens, delivery times etc. etc.

I'm sending about 800 mails per day, and before I switched over to Sendgrid I was getting 5-10 mails per days about failed deliveries, since switching over a few months ago I haven't received one.

Advertisement