Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registered a domian on one site and hosting on another help!

Options
  • 08-10-2013 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭

Hi. I bought my domain off Blacknight but purchased hosting off register365. I know that you don't have to register and host with the same company but I can't seem to get access to my site from the internet.

It's just something to play around with while I learn the ins and outs of website development.

I know that I have to change the name servers on Blacknight to 365 ones but I don't seem to be making any progress.

And guidance or help here lads? I know I'm probably coming across as a right idiot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Red Crow wrote: »
    Hi. I bought my domain off Blacknight but purchased hosting off register365. I know that you don't have to register and host with the same company but I can't seem to get access to my site from the internet.

It's just something to play around with while I learn the ins and outs of website development.

I know that I have to change the name servers on Blacknight to 365 ones but I don't seem to be making any progress.

And guidance or help here lads? I know I'm probably coming across as a right idiot!

Make sure you change the nameservers, and that they are indeed correct.

If you have, its time to wait, it can take up to 72 hours for the DNS to update for your domain.

If nothing happens after 72 hours, clear your browser and computer cache and give it another try.

If nothing still happens after that, then it's time to contact the hosting companies as something has gone wrong somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Make sure you change the nameservers, and that they are indeed correct.

If you have, its time to wait, it can take up to 72 hours for the DNS to update for your domain.

If nothing happens after 72 hours, clear your browser and computer cache and give it another try.

If nothing still happens after that, then it's time to contact the hosting companies as something has gone wrong somewhere.

Thanks man. I'll sit tight and hopefully something happens!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I've used this site to track DNS propagation in the past:

http://www.whatsmydns.net

It should give you an idea as to progress, usually before your local ISP updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Graham wrote: »
    I've used this site to track DNS propagation in the past:

http://www.whatsmydns.net

It should give you an idea as to progress, usually before your local ISP updates.

It's showing up everywhere there bar London. When I type in the web address it displays "Application Request Routing Error"
    500 - Internal server error.
    There is a problem with the resource you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. The domain may not be inserted correctly on Rewrite Maps.

When you ping your domain name from a command prompt, do you get a response from the IP address of your new server?

If you're not sure what only of that is, say so and I'll try and walk you through it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Red Crow wrote: »
    It's showing up everywhere there bar London. When I type in the web address it displays "Application Request Routing Error"

I checked my domain and it says its down for London also so it must be a problem on their end.

That 500 Internal Server Error may be on your hosting account so it is possible the domain is not pointing that way.

One thing to remember though, your domain might jump for the next 72 hours. What I mean by that is you might see your website, then you refresh and you don't see it etc...

Just remember it will be 72 hours before your domain is 100% pointing to your hosting account.

I learned the hard way when I had a subdomain on my main domain pointing to my styles directory. Went mental when no styles would load and changed everything to later find out the domain wasnt fully transfered to my new DNS. :o

If you didn't have a 500 error on your original server, I'd agree with SweetCaliber. Problem is at your new server.

Advertisement