Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Painting Masonry paint onto Natural Stone

• 15-07-2014 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, will be painting our outside garden wall one day at the front of the house and some of the pillars have some remains of natural stone, I want to paint the whole lenth of the wall with some magnolia exterior masonry paint but I read somewhere that you cannot paint natural stone that the paint wont adhere to it, is that true? - most of the natural stone on the pillars is on there sound so I dont really want to chip them off and render it, so is there a way i can paint over it using maybe undercoat, primer or PVA mix or something like that do you think? heres a picture of one of the pillars:
    DSC_0048.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You could use PVA mix and then put a bit of PVA mix into the paint and then give it a couple of coats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

that sounds like clever stuff, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

that sounds like clever stuff, thanks.

If you was to go down this route, only mix enough for the first coat as the second coat does not need this in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Give everything a coat of stabilizing primer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

Just be aware that if you paint masonry it becomes a job for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sky6 wrote: »
    Just be aware that if you paint masonry it becomes a job for life.

yep, but theres stone only on the pillars i would be painting the wall part in any case, might as well tie in the pillars also have it all matching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭sky6

That makes sense so to match it all up.

Advertisement