Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gas charcoal barbecue?

• 06-06-2014 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Is there such a thing as a gas charcoal barbecue?
    If so, where would find one? I'm in Dublin.
    Boyfriend said he's heard of them but I have no idea what he's talking about.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

theres the gas ones that have lava rocks in them that look like charcoal, and work A1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

GY A1 wrote: »
    theres the gas ones that have lava rocks in them that look like charcoal, and work A1

But do they give that charcoal taste?

I'm inclined to lean towards the charcoal barbecue for that BBQ taste (yknow black charred lines on the meat etc) but boyfriend is inclined to go for the gas one.

Then he mentioned the gas charcoal ones.

course it will the open flame will give loads of charring and you'll get the char lines from the grill anyways,
    better control with the gas bbq, than fidddling adding charcoal when its burnt out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

course it will the open flame will give loads of charring and you'll get the char lines from the grill anyways,
    better control with the gas bbq, than fidddling adding charcoal when its burnt out

Thanks a lot :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thats part of the art of BBQ managing the fire.
    Gas won't give as good a taste as Charcoal in my experience.
    Gas is convenient and fast but proper lumpwood charcoal burns hotter and tastes better, I use Namchar and its unbelievable how hot it gets and how long it lasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Sorry to bump this thread - but I'm looking for a lava rock gas barbecue for a gift for someone.

I bought one in Lidl a couple of years ago and I love it, but they don't have them anymore. Has anyone seen one for sale, online or in Dublin? They have gas barbecues in Argos but not the kind that has lava rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KKalltheway

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Thats part of the art of BBQ managing the fire.
    Gas won't give as good a taste as Charcoal in my experience.
    Gas is convenient and fast but proper lumpwood charcoal burns hotter and tastes better, I use Namchar and its unbelievable how hot it gets and how long it lasts.

Where can namchar be purchased?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

There is a gas charcoal BBQ of sorts the weber performer uses gas to start the charcoal. I have both a gas grill and a charcoal BBQ and hands down the charcoal wins every time especially low and slow ribs 5 hours with some hickory wood chips for smoke or a beer can chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Charcoal all the way for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I got a charcoal BBQ a few years back, fantastic for lazy days, spend all day outside.

Then I had a kid, haven't BBQ'd in 2 years. Don't have the time for charcoal now, and it stays hot for ages so the kid will knock it over. I'm giving serious thought to buying a gas jobbie now for convenience alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭columf

Staplor wrote: »
    I got a charcoal BBQ a few years back, fantastic for lazy days, spend all day outside.

Then I had a kid, haven't BBQ'd in 2 years. Don't have the time for charcoal now, and it stays hot for ages so the kid will knock it over. I'm giving serious thought to buying a gas jobbie now for convenience alone.

If looking for a gas one that would be more kid friendly than others I recommend one with out lava rock as the lavarock like charcoal stays hot fir quite some time.

I have a weberq 3200 great grill cast iron grate piezo electric ignition nice and heavy body very stable temperature wise decent size cooking area I am going to make a smoker box and to try smoking ribs and chicken wings.

I will concede that the gas grill is handy very quick to heat up and keeps the temperature nicely I would often fire up in the evenings to cook some burgers, sear a steak or kebabs

Have a few toddlers ourselves. I may be mad, but to combat the hot coals, when I'm done with the BBQ, I spray it with the garden hose to put it out. Then when it dries off, clear away the ash and am left with a bit of charcoal for the next day!

stevieob wrote: »
    Have a few toddlers ourselves. I may be mad, but to combat the hot coals, when I'm done with the BBQ, I spray it with the garden hose to put it out. Then when it dries off, clear away the ash and am left with a bit of charcoal for the next day!

good idea there for safety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

stevieob wrote: »

Does it create a lot of smoke?

Staplor wrote: »
    Does it create a lot of smoke?

not to much really, a little for a minute or so

Advertisement