Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection to VPN network murders broadband

Options
  • 02-07-2014 9:57pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've a strange problem in that when I connect to a particular VPN I am using it seems to throttle my broadband exclusively for itself, so I then cannot connect to e.g. bbc news/boards/google.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a setting I need to adjust, it's just a standard vpn connection on Windows seven

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Whatever network you are connecting to is slow.
    Open a command prompt when you are connected to the vpn.

Type - tracert www.Google.com

Post the results here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Whatever network you are connecting to is slow.
    Open a command prompt when you are connected to the vpn.

Type - tracert www.Google.com

Post the results here.

Timed out on the first three hops.

I.e. it started over 30 hops, starred out for the first three then timed out full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Nothing you can do about it really....Most vpn will slow you down.
    Remember....on a vpn...anything you do has to go over the vpn network before it reaches its destination ...and vice versa

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Nothing you can do about it really....Most vpn will slow you down.
    Remember....on a vpn...anything you do has to go over the vpn network before it reaches its destination ...and vice versa

Weirdly it was fine until about two months ago, I wonder if the admins on the vpn made some weird change, I did talk to them but they couldn't figure it out.

It's a pain in the face tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey,

I've a strange problem in that when I connect to a particular VPN I am using it seems to throttle my broadband exclusively for itself, so I then cannot connect to e.g. bbc news/boards/google.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a setting I need to adjust, it's just a standard vpn connection on Windows seven

You do realise a VPN is a tunnel, the throttling of speed is the speed of the network you are connecting to. There's very little you can do about speeds other than change VPN provider.

To get the best route to sites you would need to be using their DNS server, if you haven't done already clear your DNS cache, open cmd and type ipconfig /flushing. Also clear your browser cache, ctrl + shift + del.

• Advertisement

I've tried all that made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 kfdb

Stheno wrote: »
    Hey,

Sounds more like the VPN administrator has disabled split tunnel - whilst on the VPN, you no longer have 'net access. Not uncommon feature although sometimes deployed without a clear understanding of the effect on clients. Or perhaps its DNS not being resolved?

Would be worth trying at an IP layer to ping (say) 8.8.8.8 while the VPN is up (and while its down). And try a tracert the same way. If you get a response when the VPN is off and no response when on, split tunnel is disabled on your connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Had a similar problem and tweaking the MTU fixed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Very easily fixed, pretty much everyone above is wrong. Edit VPN properties and disable default gateway. Google how to do this, the exact method depends on your os and software.

Not ALL your traffic has to go through the vpn tunnel, only some of it. This is what the default gateway setting influences.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Very easily fixed, pretty much everyone above is wrong. Edit VPN properties and disable default gateway. Google how to do this, the exact method depends on your os and software.

Not ALL your traffic has to go through the vpn tunnel, only some of it. This is what the default gateway setting influences.

That has fixed it thank you :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement