Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone on 'flight mode' with Aer Lingus

Options
  • 26-09-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭

I'm heading over to London tomorrow, flying with Aer Lingus and I was wondering if I can listen to music on the flight with my iPhone on flight mode?

Aer Lingus site isnt much help (unless of course they regard a phone with x/y & z function turned off the same a normal phone) and I searched this forum too and the only results were very old.

Has anyone flown with them recently and knows whether they allow their use in flight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

It won't be a problem OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can't use on take off and landing, fine other than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Skuxx wrote: »
    It won't be a problem OP!

once it doesnt interfere with planes systems ...if you hear "pull up" Pull Up" over speaker system.....put it on pause

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭topdost

Its Ok other than take off and landing !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah they do. I've yet to hear of anyone actually not allow it. Even the pre-flight message for most airlines has changed from a few years ago to "Please ensure devices are in flight-mode during use"

Most still stipulate you "have to" turn it off for take off and landing, rather than flight mode. If that was true, I'd already have been in a number of plane crashes (I haven't) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Put it in Flight Mode, then turn it off.
    Soon after take off (same time as seatbelt lights?) you can turn it back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭kingshankly

One of my favourite programmes is air crash investigation and have yet to see a plane crash because of a mobile phone being left on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,347 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Put it in flight mode when they close the door, then lock the screen and put it in your pocket for take-off. About two minutes after take-off you can take it out and play games or music on it. I wouldn't bother switching it off, you can bet there's dozens of other devices like tablets and laptops in 'sleep' mode on the same flight when it's taking off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Fad wrote: »
    I'm heading over to London tomorrow, flying with Aer Lingus and I was wondering if I can listen to music on the flight with my iPhone on flight mode?
    Can't use on take off and landing, fine other than that.

Flight to London is about 40 minutes. Take off and preparation for landing take up almost half of that. You can't switch it on until the plane reaches it's cruising altitude and have to turn it off once the descent starts. So you have about 15/20 minutes max...approximately 6 songs. Is it worth wearing your battery down for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Mech1

Dont forget to tune in to liveatc!!!!

link in my sig.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I remember it being a problem for people ages ago, haven't been out of the country in a few years!

It's not really that important, just wanted to be sure one way or another!
    athtrasna wrote: »
    Flight to London is about 40 minutes. Take off and preparation for landing take up almost half of that. You can't switch it on until the plane reaches it's cruising altitude and have to turn it off once the descent starts. So you have about 15/20 minutes max...approximately 6 songs. Is it worth wearing your battery down for that?

20ish mins of music wouldn't wear my battery down much, not leaving til 10ish, will be heading straight to somewhere where I can charge it. :)

athtrasna wrote: »
    Flight to London is about 40 minutes. Take off and preparation for landing take up almost half of that. You can't switch it on until the plane reaches it's cruising altitude and have to turn it off once the descent starts.

On a flight from London to Dublin, the descent starts about halfway across the Irish Sea, how come they don't tell you to shut down your electronics until about 3 minutes before landing?

I think you're being over-cautious, I'm typically playing games on my iPod Touch a couple of minutes after take-off when the cabin crew are walking around but well before the plane has levelled off or the seatbelt light is switched off and they don't seem to mind.

Not sure if anyone can provide a definitive definition of when the 'take-off' stage of a flight is complete, is it (1) when the cabin crew start walking about (2) when the plane levels off or (3) when the seatbelt light is switched off. I've been on flights to London where the seatbelt light wasn't switched off until we were over the British midlands, should I have waited until then to play games or music on my gadget?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I'm had my phones (S3 and a Nokia) on when taking off a number of times without bringing the plane down!! Left them in my coat pocket and can't get up to turn it off when they tell us to ensure that mobiles are off. What I do now is just as we head to the runway, I switch it onto flight mode and leave it on my lap. As soon as the first bing goes, I take it out and work away on it - that first one is to tell cabin crew they can get up now

Never a problem listening to music, and in fairness give plenty of time to do so on the flights, few minutes before landing they tell you to take the earphones out - Ryanair on the other hand, 10 mins before landing and they are telling people to do it.

Can someone enlighten me - what potential damage can a phone, costing around £600 do to a plane worth £50million+

Can someone enlighten me - what potential damage can a phone, costing around £600 do to a plane worth £50million+

What has cost got to do with it? I bet the knives the 9/11 hijackers used cost a lot less than £600, there's your answer.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

coylemj wrote: »
    What has cost got to do with it? I bet the knives the 9/11 hijackers used cost a lot less than £600, there's your answer.

I just mentioned the cost of the technology, and thats not an answer. What has 9/11 got to do with the question of how phones interfere with the planes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

It doesn't but why don't you switch your phone off when asked to do so?

It doesn't but why don't you switch your phone off when asked to do so?

I stick my phone into my bag or coat when going through security, and stick those in the overhead compartment, I've forgotten twice where the phone is on above my head, once where I had one phone off in my pocket, and the other in the bag.

I'm not asking the question to be a pain, I'm genuinely curious if anyone knows the answer - I've googled it and got conflicting answers

Very rare when I'm flying that I don't see people with their mobiles still on when told to switch them off

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

The information I have read over the years (in the USA) is that all electronic devices give off electronic radiation and it varies from device to device. In order to be sure that devices do not interfere, the airlines would have to test every make and model device in every mode and with every type of aircraft and perhaps different seats within the airplane.

This level of testing is near impossible so the safest advice is to require all devices that transmit signals to be in flight mode while the plane is at cruising altitude since that is the least risky period of flying. However during take off and landing there is much greater risk since a lot more is happening with the plane and in the cockpit communicating with the ground. Therefore turning off all devices completely during those times is the safest protocol.

Is the risk high? No but eventually and with more testing time it is likely that devices will be allowed to be used more freely. Until that time I believe strongly that everyone should follow the rules. They are federal law in the USA and you could be prosecuted for not obeying regulations, though I wonder if it is the same in Ireland or worldwide.

Plus I feel that you are showing courtesy and respect for the flight crew and your fellow passengers if you follow the rules which are a truly minor inconvenience. Using your phone when others are waiting for the plane to take off is disrespectful to others in my opinion even if the actual risk is close to zero.

Advertisement